Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A frightening look inside of a BMC Road Machine RM01

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-17, 08:55 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts

Yikes! Leuscher Technik just posted a cut-up video of a circa 2011 BMC Road Machine and the findings are distressing:

Old 12-10-17, 09:28 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Very informative. Scary. And it would have been useful to have shown us a really well done frame for comparison.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-10-17, 09:30 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
There are links in Youtube to other frames the guy cut open. Trek, Pinarello, Bianchi...
Old 12-10-17, 09:34 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
How many people did that bike kill in 6 years?
Old 12-10-17, 09:46 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Is there an edited version for those of us who don't have all night to watch?

TL;DW
Old 12-10-17, 10:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by memebag
How many people did that bike kill in 6 years?
Well, there’s that. It’s a fair enough reminder not to get carried away, but for me, I was more surprised that the BMC build quality could be so low, if only because of the brands premium rep and pro ranks presence. If it’s not built well, what are we paying for? Styling? The geometry? Hype? For me, it’s the worst indictment of carbon fiber because it not only exposes the lack of artistry and mastery in common CF construction, it reveals low quality masquerading as high quality. I would not be happy knowing I spent good money on that.
Old 12-10-17, 11:12 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Well, there’s that. It’s a fair enough reminder not to get carried away, but for me, I was more surprised that the BMC build quality could be so low, if only because of the brands premium rep and pro ranks presence. If it’s not built well, what are we paying for? Styling? The geometry? Hype? For me, it’s the worst indictment of carbon fiber because it not only exposes the lack of artistry and mastery in common CF construction, it reveals low quality masquerading as high quality. I would not be happy knowing I spent good money on that.
Maybe. Or maybe it doesn't matter if the insides are wrinkled. How did the bike ride? Was it fun to ride? Or was it horrible? Did it assplode a lot?
Old 12-10-17, 11:24 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I took a quick look at several other of his videos including some more frame cutups and a carbon wheel cutup. They all have lots of the same kinds of ugly things that are in the BMC cutup, though admittedly the BMC one just looks uglier. I guess the bottom line is that these things are laid up in a mold and then have compressed air blown into a baggy inside that presses the carbon fiber prepreg up against the mould. The process will make a nice looking appearance on the outside, but on the inside it's not going to be pretty. Lots of those videos show extra resin that's been squeezed up out of the prepreg and then hardened. It's probably a little better that it have a little more resin than it needs to completely filled the laminate, and have the excess squeezed out, than have places without enough resin and end up with voids or weak laminate. I'm no CF engineer so that's just my opinion looking at this.

But just remember these manufacturing processes are designed to make the bike functional and look good on the outside. You guys are looking at the man behind the curtain a little here. I'll assume that the products are actually OK until someone shows specific example of actual flaws in there with evidence supporting that that flaw will in fact lead to premature breakage, asploding, or whatever.
Old 12-11-17, 12:13 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Its not a question of the inside being "pretty" or not. The BMC had lots actual manufacturing defects. Including sanding too much, uneven wall thickness, wrinkling of the material and big voids in the laminate. That IMO indicates inadequate QC (or possibly they just dont care) and simply lack of skill. Is BMC even a real bike company or do they sell boxes build by some one else?

Imo not all of the other bikes are like that. Some maybe, but look at the Trek Emonda SL for instance. Much better execution.

Old 12-11-17, 12:33 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Wow. I think I'd rather take my chances with a Dung-Pu than with a BMC now.
Old 12-11-17, 12:33 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I took a quick look at several other of his videos including some more frame cutups and a carbon wheel cutup. They all have lots of the same kinds of ugly things that are in the BMC cutup, though admittedly the BMC one just looks uglier. I guess the bottom line is that these things are laid up in a mold and then have compressed air blown into a baggy inside that presses the carbon fiber prepreg up against the mould. The process will make a nice looking appearance on the outside, but on the inside it's not going to be pretty. Lots of those videos show extra resin that's been squeezed up out of the prepreg and then hardened. It's probably a little better that it have a little more resin than it needs to completely filled the laminate, and have the excess squeezed out, than have places without enough resin and end up with voids or weak laminate. I'm no CF engineer so that's just my opinion looking at this.

But just remember these manufacturing processes are designed to make the bike functional and look good on the outside. You guys are looking at the man behind the curtain a little here. I'll assume that the products are actually OK until someone shows specific example of actual flaws in there with evidence supporting that that flaw will in fact lead to premature breakage, asploding, or whatever.
Seth, vacuum bagging can be done that leaves a clean laminate surface, but it takes skill and attention. (I used to build boats. We did far bigger vacuum jobs. I've also sailed those boats in situations where my life was dependent on those boats holding together. I developed a simple philosophy - I will only go to sea on good boats by design, cared for, readied responsibly to go to sea and with good sailors. I am not as fastidious about bikes, but a real part of that philosophy overlaps into what bicycles I will own. And they will never be female mold plastic.

Not all shoddy workmanship is carbon fiber. I bought an old 531 Raleigh. Loved its ride, especially off pavement. But I didn't trust its workmanship so I had a local framebuilder send it to have the pain stripped, then inspect it. It seemed to have missed the brazing step when it was made. He did a lot of work to make it a good, trustworthy bike. It now passes the test I used to use for boats.

Ben
Old 12-11-17, 05:03 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Regardless of whether there's any real risk or difference in serviceability, this is why I'd like my next CF frame to be assembled from tubes. Visited the Casati workshop last May and saw what they worked with - beautiful materials, meticulously assembled. A finished bike from such a workshop is like a Brioni suit compared to the pair of sweats that some CF bikes are.
Old 12-11-17, 05:17 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Hmmmm....

Old 12-11-17, 05:26 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
^^ I guess BMC doesn't have a cinematographer that knows anything about lighting either, judging from that Youtube video.
Old 12-11-17, 05:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Its not a question of the inside being "pretty" or not. The BMC had lots actual manufacturing defects. Including sanding too much, uneven wall thickness, wrinkling of the material and big voids in the laminate. That IMO indicates inadequate QC (or possibly they just dont care) and simply lack of skill. Is BMC even a real bike company or do they sell boxes build by some one else?

Imo not all of the other bikes are like that. Some maybe, but look at the Trek Emonda SL for instance. Much better execution.

https://youtu.be/kJl5V_KTRzc
Exactly.

Furthermore, I think several people don’t understand that this frame has particularly bad quality issues. Yes, most bikes using this construction will exhibit some of these imperfections, but it’s rare to see so many and to such an extent. Raoul himself expressed incredulity and disappointment inspecting this bike.

A question I have is whether this BMC could be a counterfeit. I’ll add that question to the video comments (if it’s not been asked yet) and see if he has any thoughts on the possibility.
Old 12-11-17, 05:33 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by znomit
Impec is not what we’re talking about here...except that Impec was created to address exactly the problems of QC the RM 01 displays.
Old 12-11-17, 06:39 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Regardless of whether there's any real risk or difference in serviceability, this is why I'd like my next CF frame to be assembled from tubes. Visited the Casati workshop last May and saw what they worked with - beautiful materials, meticulously assembled. A finished bike from such a workshop is like a Brioni suit compared to the pair of sweats that some CF bikes are.
Interesting take. Did you see tubes and lugs cut open to show how consistently they were laid up, compressed and cured? Did you see a finished frame cut open to show how uniformly the tubes were bonded to the lugs?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-11-17, 06:43 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,604 Times in 3,467 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Wow. I think I'd rather take my chances with a Dung-Pu than with a BMC now.
I think I'd rather take my chances with metal.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 12-11-17, 06:58 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Exactly.

Furthermore, I think several people don’t understand that this frame has particularly bad quality issues. Yes, most bikes using this construction will exhibit some of these imperfections, but it’s rare to see so many and to such an extent. Raoul himself expressed incredulity and disappointment inspecting this bike.

A question I have is whether this BMC could be a counterfeit. I’ll add that question to the video comments (if it’s not been asked yet) and see if he has any thoughts on the possibility.
The questions I have are:

1. How many miles was this bike ridden?
2. Did it fail during those miles?

If it provided a good ride for some large number of miles then I have to conclude that these defects and/or irregularities weren't important in this case.

If you cut me open you'll see a bunch of wrinkles and voids, too.
Old 12-11-17, 07:18 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Interesting take. Did you see tubes and lugs cut open to show how consistently they were laid up, compressed and cured? Did you see a finished frame cut open to show how uniformly the tubes were bonded to the lugs?
I saw the loose, individual tubes before they were assembled, which were absolutely perfect - I don't know how they are made (not at their shop), but they looked as smooth and uniform as extrusions, inside and out.

The connections aren't lugged in the conventional way: funny as it sounds, it's more like they are glued and taped together. The ends are precisely cut, prepped, then joined and taped over with carbon fiber fabric. We saw connections in varying stages of completion, and amazingly the finished product was so carefully executed that one can finish it with a clear coat - it all looked like one continuous weave. Sublime.

The nice thing is, although they are expensive, they are not extraordinarily so. Because they are assembled from cut tubes, made to measure is a no-brainer, and less expensive than (or at least competitive with) higher-end off-the-rack frames.
Old 12-11-17, 07:39 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

The questions I have are:

1. How many miles was this bike ridden?
2. Did it fail during those miles?

If it provided a good ride for some large number of miles then I have to conclude that these defects and/or irregularities weren't important in this case.

If you cut me open you'll see a bunch of wrinkles and voids, too.
Totally valid questions, the answers to which I’d like to know myself. It did wind up at Luescher Teknik, though, and went through ultrasonic examination before the cutup, so the odds are there was a suspicion of damage.

However, the answers to the questions you propose are immaterial to the issue of quality production and workmanship. It should go without saying that the bike was obviously not built to design specs, as no one designs-in integrity compromising voids, material folds, inufficient compaction, or improper lamination. One may design to accommodate variances in production accuracy, but that is exactly the essence of quality.

This is not a quality made frame, regardless of mileage or any possible failure.
Old 12-11-17, 07:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by kbarch
I saw the loose, individual tubes before they were assembled, which were absolutely perfect - I don't know how they are made (not at their shop), but they looked as smooth and uniform as extrusions, inside and out.

The connections aren't lugged in the conventional way: funny as it sounds, it's more like they are glued and taped together. The ends are precisely cut, prepped, then joined and taped over with carbon fiber fabric. We saw connections in varying stages of completion, and amazingly the finished product was so carefully executed that one can finish it with a clear coat - it all looked like one continuous weave. Sublime.

The nice thing is, although they are expensive, they are not extraordinarily so. Because they are assembled from cut tubes, made to measure is a no-brainer, and less expensive than (or at least competitive with) higher-end off-the-rack frames.
This sounds like the same production method used by Sarto and Titici in Italy, and also Crumpton in the USA. It's a method which produces a slightly heavier frame than bladder monocoque construction, but avoids many of the problems of the latter.

Monocoques can be fine, of course, but to be really good they have to be done right. Probably a lot of the freak accidents, like where my clubmate’s carbon Felt gravel bike fell over and cracked its chainstay hitting a coffee table, are exacerbated by the kinds of quality issues seen in this RM01. That’s not to say the Felt was low quality, only that conditions where material is thinner than it should be, or improperly bonded or malformed, would be expected to be less strong than it would otherwise be.
Old 12-11-17, 08:27 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
When I see a video like this one, it makes me even more smug about my titanium and steel bikes.
Old 12-11-17, 09:24 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Totally valid questions, the answers to which I’d like to know myself. It did wind up at Luescher Teknik, though, and went through ultrasonic examination before the cutup, so the odds are there was a suspicion of damage.

However, the answers to the questions you propose are immaterial to the issue of quality production and workmanship. It should go without saying that the bike was obviously not built to design specs, as no one designs-in integrity compromising voids, material folds, inufficient compaction, or improper lamination. One may design to accommodate variances in production accuracy, but that is exactly the essence of quality.

This is not a quality made frame, regardless of mileage or any possible failure.
I don't know much about carbon fiber manufacturing (just what I see on "How It's Made", really), but my questions matter because if carbon fiber bikes can look like that inside and still perform their desired function, then looking at wrinkles and voids doesn't reveal anything useful. For all I know there are visual horrors inside my aluminum bikes, but as long as the bikes work the horrors are irrelevant.
Old 12-11-17, 09:41 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I don't know much about carbon fiber manufacturing (just what I see on "How It's Made", really), but my questions matter because if carbon fiber bikes can look like that inside and still perform their desired function, then looking at wrinkles and voids doesn't reveal anything useful. For all I know there are visual horrors inside my aluminum bikes, but as long as the bikes work the horrors are irrelevant.
I don't know if you don't understand quality or if you reject the idea of quality, but either way, it's a poorly defensible position to be in.

Using your example, your alu bikes "work" only under your specific conditions. What if the rider were 100kg heavier? What if the rider could spike power north of 2k watts? What if the road conditions were rougher? What if the riding was wet coastal? What if the ride volume was double? What if the conditions were any mix of those differences? Would a low build quality version of your alu bike last as long as a high quality build version?

Please don't attempt to answers those questions, because they're rhetorical, and the answers don't matter. What matters is understanding that a frame that's not as strong as it could be (because of voids, uneven material thickness, improper compaction, delamination, etc.) is not as good, though it may be serviceable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.