Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Protein for gout

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Protein for gout

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-05, 11:47 PM
berts
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Protein for gout

Since gout is more an elderly disorder I'm posting this here:

I was diagnosed with gout some 4 yrs ago and since have been off red meat, red wine and beer (almost all the good reasons to live - except for riding and sex).
What low purine protein sources or supplements are considered best to fulfill the protein requirement without agitating the gout.
Old 06-24-05, 05:58 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by berts
Since gout is more an elderly disorder I'm posting this here:

I was diagnosed with gout some 4 yrs ago and since have been off red meat, red wine and beer (almost all the good reasons to live - except for riding and sex).
What low purine protein sources or supplements are considered best to fulfill the protein requirement without agitating the gout.
There is a new study out which shows that gout is also related to sex and exercise. Sorry! Looks like you will have to cash in.
Old 06-24-05, 07:22 AM
berts
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c'est la vie
Old 06-24-05, 04:59 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ask your doctor to get with the times. Diet has little or nothing to do with gout. It is a genetically inhereted disorder that you will either get or not. The condition is caused because your kidneys don't efficiently eliminate uric acid. Only the "borderline" cases can be treated with diet. If you have gout enough to have been diagnosed, you need either allopurinol or probenecid on a daily basis. The first of these assists your kidneys with uric acid removal, the other prevents your body from producing uric acid. If you take either regularly, you can eat any diet you want, including red meat, wine, and beer, provided you don't go overboard, and not have uric acid problems.

I have successfully used both allopurinol and probenecid. I eat what I want and have been gout-free for over five years now. Don't let gout restrict your life! Hope this helped.
Old 06-25-05, 07:22 AM
berts
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Ask your doctor to get with the times. Diet has little or nothing to do with gout. It is a genetically inhereted disorder that you will either get or not. The condition is caused because your kidneys don't efficiently eliminate uric acid. Only the "borderline" cases can be treated with diet. If you have gout enough to have been diagnosed, you need either allopurinol or probenecid on a daily basis. The first of these assists your kidneys with uric acid removal, the other prevents your body from producing uric acid. If you take either regularly, you can eat any diet you want, including red meat, wine, and beer, provided you don't go overboard, and not have uric acid problems.

I have successfully used both allopurinol and probenecid. I eat what I want and have been gout-free for over five years now. Don't let gout restrict your life! Hope this helped.

Thanks for your help. It sounds like these drugs really improve life quality. I am naturally apprehensive about taking drugs even on a short term basis.
My doc apparently felt my case was "borderline" with an attack occuring only once every 1-2 years thus he offered me the option of visiting a nutritionist or taking drugs - I opted for the nutritionist. Her advice was to take most of my proteins through low fat cheeses and light meats such as chicken and turkey (also considering a slightly elevated cholesterol 210). I have been able to cope with the infrequent attacks with NSAIDs also eating the prescribed diet. Should my condition deteriorate I will keep your advice in mind.
thanks again
Old 06-25-05, 07:37 AM
Joe Taylor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had gout since I was in my early 30's over 20 years. I kept track of what brings on an attack and don't eat that food. It is not just red meat. For me too much pork or turkey does me in. It seems that I can eat all the beef I want. Watch what you eat and keep track of what brings on an attack AND take your pill.

Joe
Old 06-25-05, 07:55 AM
berts
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Taylor
I have had gout since I was in my early 30's over 20 years. I kept track of what brings on an attack and don't eat that food. It is not just red meat. For me too much pork or turkey does me in. It seems that I can eat all the beef I want. Watch what you eat and keep track of what brings on an attack AND take your pill.

Joe

interesting stuff! i was never able to pinpoint what brought the attack on since there's a delayed effect, but now that you mention it i tried some red meat recently and i was ok afterwards.

how does alcohol effect you? beer, wine, vodka, etc?
Old 06-26-05, 03:16 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
My maternal grandfather suffered Bright's disease following a World War I battle wound and lived another 65 years with very restricted kidney function. He survived and thrived by essentially avoiding meat and alcohol.

He liked to tell the story about the "shortest physical examination" he ever had, in which a doctor, noting the large concentration of albumen in a urine sample, said, "Get out of here ... you're dead. No one can survive with kidneys like yours." Sixty years later, I am sure he had outlived that doctor.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-28-05, 02:10 PM
taylor8

Bikes: Schwinn Super Le Tour, Specialized Rockhopper 05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interesting stuff! i was never able to pinpoint what brought the attack on since there's a delayed effect, but now that you mention it i tried some red meat recently and i was ok afterwards.

how does alcohol effect you? beer, wine, vodka, etc?
I forgot to point out that duck is the one food for me that sets off an instant gout attack.

I don't use alcohol at all, none what so ever.

Joe
Old 06-29-05, 08:20 PM
ramius

Bikes: Trek 7000, Trek T-900 Tandem, wife has a Navigator 300. We also have a '74 Schwinn Tandem we courted and got married on.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been trying the less red meat diet, seems to have worked for me. I never drank alcohol, so that was not a factor or problem. Still eat the occassional steak, but make it only on occassion and take a pill.
Old 06-29-05, 09:23 PM
mriley
mriley

Bikes: vintage Schwinn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I have had gout for years (also my brother has it), with an attack about once per year - until I cut out all booze and made a real effort to drink a lot of water each day, two glasses in the morning, plus tea, then regularly throughout the day. The water flushes the kidneys. So far two years without an attack. I do eat very little meat, but a steak every now and then doesn't seem to hurt. Alcohol of any kind is out. I do not take allopurinol, just indomethacin during an attack. Haven't had any in two years.
M Riley
Old 06-30-05, 03:51 PM
PALux

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been on allopurinol for almost 10 years. The only flareup happened when I was involved in a gout study about 4 years ago and I was off meds for 2 weeks. At the end of the 2 weeks I was having a minor flareup but it went away as soon as I restarted meds. I did get a kidney stone just as I started the meds the first time. Don't ever want that again. I eat almost everything I want. Never heard that red meat was bad, organ meats yes though. Some vegetables that I love such as as asparagus I use in moderation.
Late diagnosis probably contributed to arthritus in feet, ankles and one knee but I still ride close to 5,000 miles each year. Funny, I walk 2 miles and my ankles and knees are killing me but I can ride 100 miles with no pain.
Phil
Old 07-01-05, 12:45 PM
johncc48

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Mercier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try red cherries.They work to reduce symptoms as weel as the meds usually. They ar available without the sugar in powdered form from Phytipharmica (a botanicals company i Green Bay, Wisconson). Look them up on the web.
Old 07-08-05, 01:40 PM
bridgestone9

Bikes: bridgestone 400, 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had it for about 8 years and attacks used to come in groups, sometimes 1 or 2 per week. poor circulation I believe has something to do with some of the build ups, I take Flubuprofen when an attak occurs and it it works well. My doctor mentioned that there are other medications that were mentioned in other posts , but with some medications you have to take it everyday to keep the gout away. If you only suffer occasioanally. I think diet can make it either better or worse as well. One other note, is that since I was put on metformin for diabetes my gout attacks are almost non existent.
Old 07-13-05, 02:30 PM
jjsinglespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give up beer,,,,,,when they pry my cold fingers from around my can!!!!
Old 07-14-05, 11:44 AM
taylor8

Bikes: Schwinn Super Le Tour, Specialized Rockhopper 05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsinglespeed
Give up beer,,,,,,when they pry my cold fingers from around my can!!!!
You don't know how much gout hurts! You give up anything to make it stop. Exquisite pain! You would not wish gout on an enemy.

Joe