Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Topeak Seatpost or explorer Type

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 05:42 PM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Just curious as to why I don't see many comments about the Seat post Beam Racks from Topeak. : Are they just not worth it? My idea was to not even use a Rack until the Weather gets cool enough I have a Jacket or Sweatshirt I may want to remove after awhile : All Summer I have been just fine with the Topeak Medium Wedge :

Now that it's getting Colder I was thinking a Rack I could readily remove:

One of teh guys in our group has a Schwinn rack. He's constantly stopping to straight it out : Do the Topeaks slip around?

For those of you with rack experience TOPEAK Advice is appreciated: I've decided top go with them. Debated about Bontrager as My Bike is a Trek. But the finish comes off pretty easily
Old 09-17-19, 08:12 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I bought an explorer and bag, used, several years ago. Still going strong. I am 5'11", and can roll my slacks + shirt into the bag with room for a few small items.

Fast forward to now: my daily preference is a pair of rear panniers with folded clothes on one side and lunch kit on the other... rain gear (boots, et al.) with kit, if necessary. Topeak bag goes on in cool/cold weather, mostly to carry jacket/coat in warmer afternoons....
Old 09-19-19, 11:19 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I absolutely love my Topeak Explorer rack with the Topeak MTX trunk bag/fold-out pannier. I believe it's the "DX" - the largest one they make.

Like most stuff these days, it's not made the way things USED to be made, but what it lacks in zipper quality and overall toughness, it makes up for in convenience and capacity. Keep in mind the bags are not water-proof, though.

The bags slide easily on and off the rack for quick carry-away. A no-brainer, if you're looking for help pulling the trigger on it.

POST SCRIPT: Sorry...I got carried away and forgot that you were asking about the post-mounted Topeak racks. I inherited a few name-brand seatpost racks over the years and put them on various bikes (for lack of having something else to put on them). I, too, found myself constantly having to readjust and tighten them if they had any significant amount of weight on them. Not a fan.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 09-19-19 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-19-19, 04:43 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
I'm going to agree with Papa Tom. They are a pain. I've had a couple and never was a fan of them. They move and shift. Often the clamp mechanism is wide enough to brush against my thighs. And if you need to clamp the seatpost in a repair stand they are just an added hassle.

I much prefer a rack mounted to the bike. If you don't have rack mounts, use P-clips or use Tubus clamp set. The clamp set is far superior to P-clips. I even use them at the top and bottom of my rack

image by Stuart Black, on Flickr

The clamps are on a bike with rear suspension (not much) and are strong enough to be used for rugged off-road bike packing

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!