Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Bars and Drinks *Without* these Ingredients

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 03-09-20, 07:29 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

For cycling but also light meal replacement (like after work going for a ride and will eat a late dinner), I’m looking for both energy / protein bars as well as drink mixes. Thing is I have a long list of food sensitivities and have thus far found nothing that works for me (so I end up taking extra food to prepare late in the day at work before I leave - which isn’t always convenient).

i can basically eat any meat, veggie and fruit. I can also eat quinoa, and rye (bread, crackers). Other things as well but I’ll now list what I cannot eat:

Dairy, Nuts, Wheat, Rice, Potato, Beans (red or white), Oat, Cocoa bean, Corn, Coconut.
Old 03-09-20, 08:00 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Jerky????
Old 03-09-20, 08:10 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Jerky????
A good option, thanks.

I’ve had Epic meat-based bars...pricey but I’ll compare to jerky and see what has the better mix of ingredients and benefits (beyond protein).
Old 03-09-20, 08:29 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Starkist tuna creations come in a wide variety of flavors. I like to eat a packet mid morning at work for the protein. I'll throw a few different ones in my bags when I do any bikepacking trips too.
The different flavors keeps it from getting too monotonous.
Old 03-09-20, 10:11 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
A good option, thanks.

I’ve had Epic meat-based bars...pricey but I’ll compare to jerky and see what has the better mix of ingredients and benefits (beyond protein).
For myself, price is of minimal importance when it comes to my health/performance since I am not only an endurance type of cyclist but am living with cancer. Food and liquids are fuel and should be HIGH OCTANE HEALTHY.

Originally Posted by Wolfhaven
Starkist tuna creations come in a wide variety of flavors. I like to eat a packet mid morning at work for the protein. I'll throw a few different ones in my bags when I do any bikepacking trips too.
The different flavors keeps it from getting too monotonous.
Very convenient but check all the ingredients.
Old 03-09-20, 01:16 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Jerky and bananas.
Old 03-09-20, 10:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I was going to suggest the Epic meat-o-bars. Not bad tasting or texture, and no more expensive than some energy bars based on whey or legume protein.

Check out some baby food squeeze packs. Seriously, some of 'em aren't bad, especially the applesauce and other fruits, yogurt, etc. Same thing as squeeze foil energy gels, but with different ingredients.

Legume protein powders and bars give me ferocious gas, even with digestive enzymes, so I avoid those. Same with sugar alcohols like maltitol. Supposedly great for quick energy without screwing up our insulin sensitivity, but the stuff gives me gas.

I'm also avoiding anything with sucralose, after a recent study that links the combination of sucralose and carbohydrates with screwing up our insulin balance. Researchers are still trying to figure out why, but the combination of sucralose and maltodextrin found in many common energy bars, drinks and protein powders may be doing more harm than good for some folks. Too bad because my favorite cheap whey protein powder from Six Star used sucralose.

So, back to cane sugar, glucose, fructose, etc., for me.

Usually I'll grab a box of Clif bars because they're easy to digest, taste good and have a good texture. But they're whey protein and contain some of the stuff on your no-go list.

When I just want an energy boost, no protein, I use Clif Shot gels. My favorite is the mocha with caffeine. Cane sugar, maltodextrin, cocoa, coffee, green tea, sea salt. No digestion problems.
Old 03-11-20, 10:51 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
For cycling but also light meal replacement (like after work going for a ride and will eat a late dinner), I’m looking for both energy / protein bars as well as drink mixes ...

... what I cannot eat:

Dairy, Nuts, Wheat, Rice, Potato, Beans (red or white), Oat, Cocoa bean, Corn, Coconut.
Hm.

For snacking or small "meal" quantities, how about mixing up your own "trail mix" with select ingredients? Jerky that you chop into smaller bits, carob nibs or chocolate chips, (dried) cranberries/cherries/blueberries/raisins, sunflower seeds, a "granola" type cereal product that doesn't contain wheat/oats, honey or molasses (as a sweetener and to help hold it together). Can form into bars, or without the honey/molasses can "bag it" for portable refueling. Can add tapioca flour to aid in binding, and to add a zap of carbs (it's all carbs). Can add pea protein powder if you feel you need a bit more protein in the mix. Can mix into a non-dairy "yogurt" (ie, Silk's product, which is based on soy. Can bake into sheets, then cut up for wrapping as to-go snacks. High-calorie, lots of proteins/fats, and a good amount of carbs. And you control the ingredients, so you can avoid the stuff you don't want.

Off-hand, I can't think of any "bar" that doesn't contain dairy, nuts, oats or coconut. All of the ones I know of contain one or more of those ingredients from your "no" list, even their "no dairy/nuts" versions and their "vegan" versions.

If at home, you could make up a blend. Something like ... leafy greens, avocado, tofu, sunflower/chia/hemp seeds, carob/chocolate chips, a soy- or pea-based protein powder (instead of whey or yogurt), fruits. Adjust ingredients to be the mix of macro-nutrients you're looking for. Sufficiently "loaded" with a variety of ingredients, you could make it a meal replacement. Would need cooling, so it's not all that suitable for taking it with you (on a ride, for a mid-ride snack).

EDIT: Ach. Just realized that "cacao" is on your "verboten" list.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 03-11-20 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-11-20, 02:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Not the "bars and drinks" I was hoping for
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-11-20, 07:01 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
A good option, thanks.

Jerky is basically dried meat. Pemmican used to have things like berries mixed in it.

Cheers