Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1963 Schwinn Sting Ray De Luxe

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 05:49 PM
modestholdings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well you're clearly right. I was wrong to assume the folks who do this day in and day out, who have a warehouse in the back office of specialized supplies for doing just that, would be able to do a better job than a bonehead like me. Lesson learned.
Old 06-08-20, 06:02 PM
modestholdings

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You've made your point.

During packaging, they put things together in such a way one of the wheel axles did the damage, according to the buyer. He didn't take any photos of the package prior to opening it, as it was undamaged externally. Here's what he sen

t me just now.

Last edited by modestholdings; 06-08-20 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Photo didn't attach
Old 06-08-20, 06:13 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by modestholdings
Well you're clearly right. I was wrong to assume the folks who do this day in and day out, who have a warehouse in the back office of specialized supplies for doing just that, would be able to do a better job than a bonehead like me. Lesson learned.
What, you think these guys are pros at packing this stuff? I wouldn't let them pack anything! I would only use them for shipping if I had to but I would pack it, or an LBS in the case of a bike.

LBS.......Bout $60. REI the same. Maybe a little more, but not much.

Now if you get another bike and do the same........

And for insurance? The buyer is going to have to take that to UPS and make the claim. And UPS are going to have to approve it. I hope they do. See the buyer does not have to. That's the problem. If you think so, and your claim is denied, or the buyer says "Why do I have to?" you will find out.

Last edited by StarBiker; 06-08-20 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-08-20, 06:17 PM
modestholdings

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Burnt hand remembers best, etc etc.
Old 06-08-20, 07:30 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by modestholdings
Well, there's plenty of documentation, so hopefully that makes a difference and UPS honors the insurance without too much back bending over backward stuff.

Should've paid a bike shop to have sold it on consignment, I guess.
When I had a legit claim with UPS what they basically stated was, box it up, we will pick it up and you will get your money back in 30 days.
They even had an agent come to my house to inspect the bike, box, and packing. I took images of the unboxing, so there were few questions.
Bad packing, poor handling during transport.
Fine for a commodity that can be found in any number of shelves new. Does not work so well for vintage bikes.
You will be lucky to get the cost of shipping and insurance and use that toward refinish.
Likes For repechage:
Old 06-08-20, 08:07 PM
StarBiker

And because you were willing to do so. I file a claim with Ebay, and PayPal and am not inclined to do this what do you think will happen.

Some buyers can be quite difficult. Ya don't say.......

And this was from a buyers pov. Not a sellers.

I hope it works out for everybody.
Old 06-09-20, 09:59 AM
Crazier Dave

Bikes: Punch Minstrel Leader, Raleigh Gran Prix, 1985 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, I learned a lot from this. I do plan to sell my stingray eventually, but want to have some fun with it first. Not so rare that it it would fetch that kind of money, but the posts hear have warned me if the pitfalls of any bike sale. Mine is in pretty good shape but nowhere near mint, no rust though. All it needs now is a coater break adjustment. There is a tear in the seat, but it is rideable with that tear.

As far as the action results of the OP, there definitely was a bidding war going on. It looks like a few people were very interested in this bike, because there is always some kind of stingray on eBay. I would have thought that the Crates would be the most desirable. That is the one I wanted as a kid.

Dave
Old 06-09-20, 10:08 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by Crazier Dave
Wow, I learned a lot from this. I do plan to sell my stingray eventually, but want to have some fun with it first. Not so rare that it it would fetch that kind of money, but the posts hear have warned me if the pitfalls of any bike sale. Mine is in pretty good shape but nowhere near mint, no rust though. All it needs now is a coater break adjustment. There is a tear in the seat, but it is rideable with that tear.

As far as the action results of the OP, there definitely was a bidding war going on. It looks like a few people were very interested in this bike, because there is always some kind of stingray on eBay. I would have thought that the Crates would be the most desirable. That is the one I wanted as a kid.

Dave
There is zero reason to not be able to sell that locally in Silver Spring. Or the DC Metro overall. None at all.
Old 06-10-20, 03:41 PM
Crazier Dave

Bikes: Punch Minstrel Leader, Raleigh Gran Prix, 1985 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
There is zero reason to not be able to sell that locally in Silver Spring. Or the DC Metro overall. None at all.
I agree.
Old 06-11-20, 09:03 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by hazetguy
i knew this would pop up on cabe, here's the thread: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/de...deluxe.170891/
So no b*tching by the buyer?

To each his own. Without the fanatics I could not make money......

I wonder how the claim went.......
Old 06-11-20, 09:25 AM
modestholdings

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While strikingly similar, that isn't the bike I sold. I can't get the link to open again, but I glanced at it earlier and it's clear it's a different bike - either that, or the new owner didn't waste a second on having the fenders re-chromed.

As to the eBay experience, it hasn't been great. I'm still waiting on UPS to respond to my latest salvo of photos of the packaging on the insurance claim. The buyer is still demanding a $500 discount. My suspicion is UPS is going to offer a few bucks or deny the claim outright, and then the buyer and I will have to go through eBay's arbitration. Never done that before, and not looking forward to it. But the UPS people think the guy damaged the bike himself and is trying to scam me. No good outcomes, I'm afraid, but I'll soldier on until we get to whatever the end is.

Lessons learned.
Old 06-11-20, 11:09 AM
modestholdings

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hazetguy
you are correct, sorry about that, and i have removed my inaccurate post.
Oh, no worries. Just didn't want anyone to get confused.