Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Odometer for Catrike Villager

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 09-29-20, 08:36 AM
Scubaquarius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

My wife has a new Catrike Villager that she has been riding for a couple months. Naturally, she would like to keep track of the mileage she
rides (near daily).

Anyone know of a decent odometer (computer) for a Catrike Villager, nothing fancy just to serve that basic function? Appreciate
any and all suggestions.

Have a great day,
Scubaquarius
Old 09-29-20, 09:08 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I think that the trend is to using a phone app.

Mrs, Grouch and I use the most entry level Garmins that I could find. I like them because there is no wheel size factor to measure and we can switch them from bike-to-bike if we like.
Old 09-29-20, 01:15 PM
Scubaquarius

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I think that the trend is to using a phone app.

Mrs, Grouch and I use the most entry level Garmins that I could find. I like them because there is no wheel size factor to measure and we can switch them from bike-to-bike if we like.
Thanks for the information!

Scubaquarius
Old 09-30-20, 06:29 AM
gobent

Bikes: Catrike Road

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this on my iphone

Map My Ride. It’s accurate, can be used while walking, pauses, and shows the route. I have NOT found a way for it to do cumulative miles. However, it does allow you to take a pic of the info.

Gobent
Old 09-30-20, 08:04 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I use the Wahoo sensors (Cadence and Speed) and their phone app. The Wahoo app will record each and every ride locally on your phone. If she wants, she can add a heart rate sensor to get a better idea of workout intensity.

Be sure and get a phone mount that is the correct size for the phone / case. One of my phone mounts has dropped my phone, which is double plus ungood. Also, I have had the Wahoo cadence sensors come out of the Wahoo supplied mounts several times. They are now wrapped on the crank arm with a big gob of electrical tape.
Old 09-30-20, 08:18 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by gobent
Map My Ride. It’s accurate, can be used while walking, pauses, and shows the route. I have NOT found a way for it to do cumulative miles. However, it does allow you to take a pic of the info.

Gobent
If you go to the MapMyRide website, you can see weekly, monthly, and yearly totals, so it can and does track your cumulative miles. There's probably a way to access that info on the app, but I don't bother trying.
Old 09-30-20, 12:07 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It is hard to beat a basic Cateye, et al, bike computer if all you need is speed/distance. You can get them for under $20 and sometimes under $10. The only problem with them is that you sometimes have to be inventive to get them on bents in general. Wires can be too short and brackets that might be built to go on an upright fork might not work a trike kingpin. My solution usually involved soldering extra wire and mounting the sensor to the rear wheel. One thing to be aware of is that Cateye wires are hair-thin and can be very hard to solder and seal.

My current solution is more expensive. I have a Garmin. The advantages are that it can easily mount on whatever bike I choose to ride, so only one is required, and I get a LOT more info. The disadvantage is that batteries now have to be recharged between rides instead of being changed every other year.
Old 09-30-20, 09:12 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 222 Posts
I've been using Planet Bike cyclometers for almost 20 years now. They have an easy to read screen and they are easy to program. Also, they sell extra wiring harnesses for $14 that come in long and tandem lengths which are handy for recumbents. I did try one of their wireless versions but didn't care for it much as it didn't seem to be as accurate as the wired versions. Also, the sensor must be within 21 inches of the computer pretty much limiting them to DFs.
Old 10-21-20, 08:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
A basic odometer mounted on the handle bars on a trike work fine.
Old 10-21-20, 01:19 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
According to the information at Utah Trikes, the Villager comes with a "left mirror/computer mount". You are expected to mount the computer on the left mirror stalk. That puts it in easy distance for using a standard length wired computer. Even the most basic models will keep track of your cumulative mileage, a daily mileage, maximum speed and average speed for the daily mileage. All it takes is pushing one button at the beginning of each day to reset the daily mileage and elapsed time. I've given away a few of these inexpensive Sunding computers in the past and never got a comment they didn't work or weren't good. https://www.ebay.com/itm/154141550217 $8.45 from a California seller on eBay. The same computer imported from China with about a 3 week delivery time is $4.64 https://www.ebay.com/itm/132311786303 I usually buy from the overseas source when I buy them as gifts.

One strange thing I encountered was trying to use a wireless computer on my CT700. It wouldn't work with the computer mounted high on the trike next to the front derailleur and the sensor on the sensor mount supplied by Catrike with the trike. Apparently the frame was right in the way for blocking the signal as the computer works perfectly well on a mountain bike.
Old 10-24-20, 08:00 AM
ft3safety

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
A little fancy but I'm a fan of Garmin Edge GPS computers. It's more future proof than a standard speed / cadence wired computer. You can connect heart rate, power meters, and other devices via ANT+ and bluetooth. If it happens to drop and break, you won't be without your phone.