Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on value of a vintage steel Atala bike?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Any thoughts on value of a vintage steel Atala bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-20, 11:57 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Everyone is going to have their own opinion as to whether the bike is safe to ride "as-is", but I would not hesitate to ride it on flat, groomed road surfaces. What I wouldn't do is freewheel down a steep hill.

Steel is pretty tough and in most cases the damage is progressive and not immediately catastrophic as is the case with damaged carbon frames. I think casual rides aren't going to be a problem.

But since I'm not an engineer or an expert in metallurgy, take it with a grain of salt.
Old 12-24-20, 08:14 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3813 Post(s)
Liked 3,344 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
This paint is not original (the bike has been repainted). So if you can repair the frame and you believe it is safe, go ahead and paint it.
-----

how were you able to determine present finish a respray

manufacturer employed this livery for several years from the later 1960's through the early 1970's

it was seen on other models in the range in addition to this one

the remains of a shop transfer are visible on the seat tube

-----
Old 12-24-20, 11:49 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

how were you able to determine present finish a respray

manufacturer employed this livery for several years from the later 1960's through the early 1970's

it was seen on other models in the range in addition to this one

the remains of a shop transfer are visible on the seat tube

-----
then I’m wrong. Every catalog I’ve seen and every model I’ve seen did not have this color. I’ve tried to buy one a few times so I’ve done some research on this. But I accept what you say so I stand corrected.
Old 12-25-20, 03:13 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
This paint is not original (the bike has been repainted).
This is the first Atala high ender to come my way. The livery is bang on original and worth a closer look. I like what the drop paint. Different. Anyway, my first Atala Pro...

Old 12-25-20, 06:59 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
This is the first Atala high ender to come my way. The livery is bang on original and worth a closer look. I like what the drop paint. Different. Anyway, my first Atala Pro...
I was mistaken. See post #28. I've been looking for one for a while and I've done some research on them mainly by looking at models for sales and catalogs that I've found where that color scheme did not show up. I should have done a google search for the bike model as well and no doubt this would have shown up.
Old 12-25-20, 02:24 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Just wondering, with all the conversation about catastrophic frame failure (without warning) can anyone post any photos along with any other documentation...it might be helpful to the OP and others making a decision on whether or not to scrap the bike in question.
It is my understanding, albeit anecdotal that a steel frame provides some warning before giving completely.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 12-26-20 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-25-20, 07:30 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3813 Post(s)
Liked 3,344 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

minor paint finish note -

one characteric of the best model rizzato products for a number of years was the distinctive "vee" pattern on the taper tubes where the paint and chrome meet.

our subject frame is 1967 and exhibits this feature.

the forum recently had a discussion thread (quiz) on a top model Lygie of 1974 which also exhibited this feature.

the green and gold example of Nostro Don Randolfo has a serial indicating it dates from 1971 yet lacks the "vee" feature. perhaps Rizzato went back and forth with it...

here is the manufacturer's catalogue page for the Professional model of 1971. the cycle pictured also offers not the "vee" feature:

-----
Old 01-02-21, 08:41 AM
gstein

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 40 Posts
I too now think paint is original. When the forks were removed there was yellow overspray on the steerer. Don’t think painter would have sprayed the steerer unless they were really trying to create an original look. Also I could not find any evidence of any paint color under the current paint

Mystery solved. I guess it is best not to paint the frame since it is original and maybe somewhat unique.