Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

50’s Bianchi Campione Del Mundo - restored. What would you pay?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

50’s Bianchi Campione Del Mundo - restored. What would you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 09:50 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
50’s Bianchi Campione Del Mundo - restored. Reasonable value?

Title says it all. Claimed to be a ‘54, fully restored.
what is a reasonable price?

not mine - just considering buying it, but I’m not as familiar with the pre- 1970 market.

Go.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 02-19-21 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-20-21, 11:58 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Bump.
certainly some folks here will have some awareness of these, and their value.
I know a resto kills the ultimate value (to some) due to loss of originality, but this one looks really well done.

I’m on the hunt for a 50’s-60’s frame/bike for Eroica type events and casual fair weather riding, but I’m not as knowledgeable on pre-70’s bikes as I am with 70’s and newer.
I know if this were a restored early 70’s Colnago Super, it would warrant a premium pricetag. I’m just not sure how something like this (I’ll see your Merckx and raise you a Coppi) stacks up.

this is one of several options, and I’m a sucker for Celeste.

Thanks for any input or banter.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 02-20-21 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-21-21, 07:24 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Whats the cost of a resto like that? $1000-1200? Then the rarity of the frame itself. Maybe in the range of $2000?

I was talking with a collector about prices. He had an early '60's Paramount with original violet paint. Said he paid $2300 for it, mostly because of the color and condition. This Bianchi, not original condition, but a restored 1954, thats rare goods. And brought back to a high level of finish. How all that balances out, I dont know. But getting a lugged steel frame made these days will set you back a bundle.

​​​​​Shame is I can see this frame being built up with original components, sourced from europe and beyond, built up to perfection and then displayed on a wall, never to be ridden.
Old 02-21-21, 07:39 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Yeah. Stuff like this usually prices out in $1k increments. I really don't have any idea. But I would guess around $1.5K.
Old 02-21-21, 08:33 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Before going farther, the rear dropouts are interesting- I cannot tell with the images provided the stampings on the dropouts nor the size of the adjuster screws.

the odd thing is the spring hole above the derailleur mount screw port. That is generally associated with the Sportsman derailleur option- later than the mentioned date of the frame.

a reference of the brake bridge style should be made too... the cross cylinder is... not sure but I think not right.
Old 02-21-21, 08:49 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Speedbicycles.ch has a few in their virtual museum- so matches metalwork reasonably well, be nice to see the chainstay bridge.

the Notable difference is on the first two from the mid 50’s I pulled up, the Bianchi on the down tube is closest to the shift levers, the model name lower - a restoration Ooops.

both show a serial number stamped around the front of the seat lug above the top tube.
Old 02-21-21, 09:27 PM
canyoneagle

I appreciate the input
seems to line up with what I would think is a reasonable value.

I’ve opted to go another route, and sure hope I don’t regret passing on this gorgeous frame.

FWIW it is currently on eBay at $1,190 plus shipping from Italy. Seems like a solid deal

Thanks again, and someone please get it 😎