Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1960s? Ross Barracuda. What's its value?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 10-20-15, 07:57 AM
Shane89

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I just picked this up yesterday as I was helping a neighbor move some antique furniture. At some point I'll be listing this in the classifieds for sale, but any insight on its value would be greatly appreciated. You can PM me but I'm not sure I'll be able to PM back as I'm brand new to the forum. I'll have to take a closer look at the rules here.

My research has led me to believe this is a late 1960s 3 Speed Ross made by Chain Bike Corp. It could be as early as 1964. I could be totally wrong

It has a serial code: 127 6467660

The distinguishing feature that I wasn't able to find anywhere else is the flame seat. It still has all the original decals, and even tires I believe. It also has the sticker of the store is was bought in in Nazareth, PA. It's actually in fine working condition and would clean up very nice, I'm sure.

I'll post the pics in a subsequent post. Lemme know what y'all think. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by Shane89; 10-20-15 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-20-15, 08:01 AM
Shane89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure why the pics uploaded sideways. I'll rotate them if I can figure it out, or if anybody knows how let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image (3).jpg (96.9 KB, 82 views)
image (2).jpg (82.7 KB, 70 views)
image (1).jpg (94.9 KB, 67 views)
image (4).jpg (92.4 KB, 69 views)
image.jpg (90.7 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Shane89; 10-20-15 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-20-15, 08:15 AM
exxongraftek

Bikes: No-name LH drive track. Also ride an Exxon Graftek, a Masi, a Trek R200 or a RR Boneshaker for fun!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There may be a date code on the rear hub as I believe it is a Shimano model - look for two small letters not seemingly associated with any logos.
If there is no date code and this is an early 3.3.3. hub it may have a good deal of collectible value on its own.

If the seat is not original it is at least a very early replacement and wouldn't detract a whole lot from the value.

Value-wise this is not a Schwinn Sting-Ray/Krate so perhaps $150 may be a ballpark value - we'll see what the others say.
Old 10-20-15, 08:41 AM
Shane89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appreciate the super quick reply. That's interesting... I looked over the bike again just now pretty closely. I did not see any two random small letters on the rear hub or anywhere else.

In regard to the seat, I don't see anything that would obviously indicate it's not original. Then again, I'm not familiar with these so my opinion doesn't mean much.

Thanks again for the info. Looking forward to shedding some more light on this thing and maybe nailing it down to a particular year/model.
Old 10-21-15, 11:35 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,738 Times in 629 Posts
I would agree with the value of $150 the bike does look to be in fairly good shape for a boys muscle bike from the late 60's. It is a slightly less desirable brand with a 3 speed thumb shifter which looks to be a replacement which holds price down some. Collectors mostly want better known brands with stick shifter's on the top tube for this type of bike.
Old 04-26-20, 08:48 PM
Shane89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was very close to selling this bike about 5 years ago. Instead held onto it. Looking to sell it now. I don’t have access to list in the marketplace on this forum so if interested shoot me a PM. I’m selling it to best offer by the end of the week. Bike is located in zip code 18351. Would prefer not to ship but would ship if necessary. I’m also going to have it listed locally on Craigslist. Any questions feel free to reach out. Good luck!
Old 04-26-20, 08:59 PM
Shane89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scratch that. Can’t receive or answer PM’s with less than 10 posts.
Old 04-26-20, 09:21 PM
Shane89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can find bike in Lehigh Valley, PA or Central, NJ Craigslist- Ross Barracuda Chain Bike Corp