Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Centurion LeMans RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 10:25 PM
bikenub4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Centurion LeMans RS

Hi everyone,

I am 5'11'' 145 lbs and a complete beginner. I went to Amsterdam recently and loved cycling so I decided to start this as a new hobby. I saw this bike going for $160. Should I buy it? How much is it worth?

"Vintage seafoam green and white Centurion LeMans RS. Shimano light action groupset. Index shifting. Anodized gold rims. Newer tires. Tange 2 tubing, made in Japan, nice frame. Needs bar tape. 57cm. Over all condition is very good for its vintage. Will fit a rider 5'10" to 6'1"... give or take " <--- that is the description.

Thanks a lot. Please feel free to give me some advice.

I like biking but I am worried about prostate health. When I bike for long periods of time I get a little sore there. My friend says posture has a lot to do with it.

Cheers mates,

Walter.
Old 01-03-18, 07:28 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Yeah, and although I think if the bike is in nice shape it's a good buy, but you need a bike that fits. And older Road Bike might not be for you.
Old 01-03-18, 12:15 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 96 Posts
I have a red and white Le Mans RS. Nice bike, but I agree that a 57 cm frame is likely to be a bit small for you. If it does fit, $160 seems a good price.
Old 01-04-18, 07:36 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
If you are concerned about prostate health, make sure your frame size is as tall as comfortable, without reaching too far, to avoid excessive pressure in the region. Check out the thread on bike fit.
Old 01-04-18, 08:06 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenub4

"Vintage seafoam green and white Centurion LeMans RS. Shimano light action groupset. Index shifting. Anodized gold rims. Newer tires. Tange 2 tubing, made in Japan, nice frame. Needs bar tape. 57cm. Over all condition is very good for its vintage. Will fit a rider 5'10" to 6'1"... give or take " <--- that is the description.
Google bike sizing and take some measurements. You may find a 57 fits just right, or it may be too small. Everyone is different.

As far as the seller's comment on sizing, sellers are not experts on what is going to fit you. Yet buyers want private sellers to tell them whether their bike for sale will fit. So some sellers take a stab at it, giving a range.

Don't overlook top tube length either.

I had a buyer once that was 5-11 and wanted to buy a 25 inch (64cm) Centurion road bike from me. Since he was 1 1/2 hours away from me, I told him emphatically to save his time, the bike was way too big for him. I did everything short of calling him stupid. He came anyway, and the bike ended up fitting him just fine! Turned out I was the stupid one. Two factors were at play. First, he had very long legs for someone 5-11. Secondly, on many vintage bikes, as seat tubes get longer, top tubes don't (or go up slightly). So that 25 inch bike had a top tube not much longer than a 22 inch bike.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 01-04-18, 10:09 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Go for it. Centurion LeMans with a Tange 2 frame w/anodized wheels is a very good bike. Add some points if it's late 1980's model. Add more points if it's 700 wheels w/6 speed Shimano Exage drivetrain. Old Japanese pedigree bikes are bullet proof.
Old 03-03-20, 09:46 PM
gunrunner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About to buy a mid to late 80s Centurion LEMans RS

About to buy a mid to late 80s Centurion LEMans RS 12 speed, 59" TANGE 2 frame, 700x23 tires, shimano light action front and rear derailleur group, Sugino GR 130 crank set, Die-compe brakes, new bar tape, Bontrager saddle and is in good condition mechanically and cosmetically. Well maintained. Looks brand new as far as I can see. It is selling for $175. Not really asking if this is a good price bc I have accepted it because it looks and sounds worth it. Will be offering less if I find rust or undisclosed (in the listing) wear. With that said, you seem to think highly of these centurion lemans bikes. What about them do you value in particular. You mentioned they're bulletproof. Can you elaborate? Thanks.

GR
Old 03-04-20, 09:53 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I call them "bullet proof" because they are solid, well made, rugged, dependable bikes. With proper care and maintenance these bikes can keep rolling for tens of thousands of miles. Not unusual to hear stories about bikes with 100K miles on them. Built to last a lifetime. I just sold this 1988 LeMans a couple months ago to a young fellow. I think he got a pretty good deal. It was worth at least $100 more than he paid for it.
Old 03-04-20, 12:59 PM
gunrunner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. bicycles are cool especially vintage ones. I am not interested in newer looking (and more expensive) bikes. hooray for bikes. thanks for the response

GR
Old 03-10-20, 03:42 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by gunrunner
About to buy a mid to late 80s Centurion LEMans RS 12 speed, 59" TANGE 2 frame, 700x23 tires, shimano light action front and rear derailleur group, Sugino GR 130 crank set, Die-compe brakes, new bar tape, Bontrager saddle and is in good condition mechanically and cosmetically. Well maintained. Looks brand new as far as I can see. It is selling for $175. Not really asking if this is a good price bc I have accepted it because it looks and sounds worth it. Will be offering less if I find rust or undisclosed (in the listing) wear. With that said, you seem to think highly of these centurion lemans bikes. What about them do you value in particular. You mentioned they're bulletproof. Can you elaborate? Thanks.

GR
Centurions have a big following, especially the Ironman models. The Lemans is technically a notch down from the Ironman with Tange 2 instead of 1, and components are likewise a grade or so down the scale (but still good). OTOH, the Lemans has a bit more tire clearance, and fender mounts, so it is arguably the better choice for an all-rounder/commuter. The Ironman is more a pure go fast race bike, and typically a great bargain, considering its frame, components and build quality.