Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fitting a 'sub-compact' road chainset to BB90 bottom bracket?

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Fitting a 'sub-compact' road chainset to BB90 bottom bracket?

Old 12-07-19, 09:11 PM
anotherbrian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
It looks like same setup as Absolute Black. Outside chainring is on outside but chain line is moved inboard so that there is no interference between the chain and spider/bolts when in the small ring.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I take it the Shimano spline is a straight spline instead of a tapered spline, so the bb can be shimmed. Doesn't look bad to me.

Something is still hurting my head about these. Could you post a picture from the non-drive side?
They used the same bolt hole circle, I guess the problem with putting a smaller chain ring on these cranks is just the height of the spider between the rings.
Old 12-07-19, 09:30 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
A bit tricky to get the nondrive side...

Old 12-08-19, 02:41 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Ha, guess that photo from the Croder site played tricks on my eyes!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-08-19, 08:09 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
Very interesting method of getting a smaller chainring. I think there are 33 tooth chainrings with no change in chain line, but I never thought that was worth pursuing.
Old 12-08-19, 07:33 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Very interesting method of getting a smaller chainring. I think there are 33 tooth chainrings with no change in chain line, but I never thought that was worth pursuing.
TA makes them in 7075 aluminum, which partly explains the cost. I've been considering it should I wear out my 34T...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-08-19, 08:20 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Well, I got my Sunday ride done. Moderately fast group ride, a bit of rolling with a short climb in the middle along a segment I like to call Cow Dung Land (for obvious reasons). Stayed on the big ring for most of the ride except for the Cow Dung Land climb, no problems keeping up with the group and I think I have a better chain line with the 48 than with the 53. Spinning uphill with the 32 felt pretty good, even managed to get a new PR on the segment (though admittedly may be placebo effect... we'll see how it feels couple of months down the road...).

Two downsides though... first one is definitely no cross-chaining. Either big-big or small-small will result in chain rub on the FD. Not really a biggie, since I tend to avoid that kind of extreme combination anyway.

Second downside... got a flat on the rear tyre during the ride. I typically shift down to small-small to make it easier to dismount, and later remount the tyre but I think it is easier for the chain to drop on the 32? I lay the bike down on its (non-drive) side while changing the tube, didn't really pay attention to the chain until after remounting the tyre and noticed it dropped off the front ring. But maybe this is just a one-off? We'll see couple of months down the road (if I get a flat again... damn wire or staple or whatever that crap was!!)

Last edited by atwl77; 12-08-19 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-09-19, 08:39 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

did the shop re-size the chain?
Hope you don't have any more flats. I think it's pretty common for me to lose my chain if I have to change a flat. It's just part of the wonderful experience
Old 12-09-19, 08:46 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Yes, they did shorten the chain, though I forgot to ask by how much.
Old 01-24-20, 09:31 AM
tomgdaly
The Crank

Bikes: I think it's six at the moment, ranging from a Scott Foil to a 1979 TI Raleigh Team Edition

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
To return to this subject: for my specific situation, I think a GRX FC-RX810-2 (48-31, 11speed) is the best option. However, I also have a 10-speed bike. Would I get away with using the 11-speed crankset on this also?
Old 01-24-20, 11:02 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

my understanding is that it will work. Possibly a little better with the matching 11 speed chain

I just found out that Stages power meter only works with the 810 and the 810 doesn't come with a 46 tooth chain ring. I'm somewhat less enthused about the whole thing right now.
Old 01-04-21, 06:07 PM
hookooekoorider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Option for running 32t w/o changing the chain line

One year later, I know. Just thought it would be good to add another solution to this thread. You can change just the chainrings to 48-32 and keep the same chain line using the Gearoop KOM Challenger chainrings. Or do what I did and just change out the small chainring to 32t (which you can buy separately), so now I'm running 50-32 on my Shimano 105 cranks. Yes, the shape of the small chainring is no longer perfectly round, but I can't say that it's noticeable.
Old 01-05-21, 09:48 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I recently built up a new bike with Easton cranks, using 46/30 rings. So far, no complaints. They've got a modular system that lets you swap spiders (or integrated rings). On the original subject, I don't think this could be used with BB90, because Easton cranks have a 30-mm diameter, and the OD for BB90 bearings is 37 mm. You'd need to have little tiny ball bearings in the cartridges to fit the remaining space.

As Unterhausen said upthread, 46x11 is a big gear (though admittedly, a 46t big ring looks kind of puny). When I got started in cycling, 52x13 was the biggest gear you commonly found. 46x11 is bigger than that.
Old 01-05-21, 06:03 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have tried the Absolute Black 46 & 30 chainrings on an Ultegra 6800 compact crankset. I have also installed a 48 & 32 GRX crankset on my Canyon Endurace.

I was dropping the chain and have shifting issues with the Absolute Black chainrings. The bike has STAM eTap and the shifting of the oval chainring is not ideal.

The 48 & 31 GRX crankset is ideal on a disc brake bike. But the chainline on a rim brake bike would be offset and problematic.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-07-21, 10:30 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
I recently built up a new bike with Easton cranks, using 46/30 rings. So far, no complaints. They've got a modular system that lets you swap spiders (or integrated rings).
The RaceFace 'cinch' 104/64bcd spider works with the Easton 'cinch' crank. TA Specialites Chinook Outer and Inner rings allow to you mix combos from 46t to 22t.