Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Peugeot 10-speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 12:51 PM
jbow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Peugeot 10-speed

Came across this blue 10-speed Peugeot. I don’t have any better pictures from the seller. Might this be a PX10? Looks like Simplex on the rear in a red color. If anyone has a guess to the model and or value I’d be grateful. Seller is currently asking 150.

Old 02-18-20, 01:52 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is a UO 8 and $150 is high. $50 is about right. I like this bike a lot but it will need a lot of work to make it a good rider so even $50 is high unless you have the skills to get it road worthy or a desire to learn the skills.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-18-20, 01:57 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I agree that $150.00 is high since it isn't in riding condition. It is a lower-end Peugeot. The rear dropouts confirm that. I've never owned a U-08, but every review I've read indicates they make decent riders. If you really are interested, see if you can negotiate the price down. How long has it been listed for? What part of the world are you in? Location matters some also.
Old 02-18-20, 01:59 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

mcmlxix

-----
Old 02-18-20, 02:33 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

mcmlxix

-----
Is that the year? How did you determine the year? And for those of us who have forgotten whatever Latin they may have learned in school, is this 1969?
Old 02-18-20, 03:13 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
You could not give me one of these. French bike parts, everything's a special metric size. Simplex derailers & shifters are plastic. A new set of brake pads cost more than the whole bike is worth. Those cranks & BB's, OMG terrible. Money pit, run away. I owned one in the 70's.
Old 02-18-20, 03:41 PM
jbow

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TugaDude
I agree that $150.00 is high since it isn't in riding condition. It is a lower-end Peugeot. The rear dropouts confirm that. I've never owned a U-08, but every review I've read indicates they make decent riders. If you really are interested, see if you can negotiate the price down. How long has it been listed for? What part of the world are you in? Location matters some also.
It has been listed for a couple of weeks. Seller is located in Minneapolis, so an OK market. Selling after inheriting from his father.
Old 02-18-20, 03:59 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by jbow
It has been listed for a couple of weeks. Seller is located in Minneapolis, so an OK market. Selling after inheriting from his father.
If you really want it, here is how I would approach it. Just be completely honest. It is a low-end, French bike for which parts are available, but not so easily. It is likely going to need all consumables replaced, cables, housing, tires, tubes and certainly will need new grease and probably bearings. Then there is the issue of the Simplex FD. Assuming it isn't cracked already, it likely will pretty soon. So even if you do all of the work it is going to be quite an investment just to get it road-worthy.

So given that, hopefully he will understand and negotiate. If not, walk. Leave your number in case he changes his mind. If someone buys it for $150.00, well, hats off to the seller, he came out great. And the buyer will soon have about $250.00 invested in a $125.00 bike.
Old 02-18-20, 05:22 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Is that the year? How did you determine the year? And for those of us who have forgotten whatever Latin they may have learned in school, is this 1969?
-----

date clues -

transfers

rear mech

shift levers

---

shift levers strongest clue as this model only employed for a brief period

---

narrows things down to pretty much that time

cycle may have been produced in MCMLXIX for sale as a MCMLXX model year machine

---

caveat -

not one of the forum's numerous leone rampante experts

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 02-26-20, 05:30 AM
harmonixx

Bikes: 2004Trek Fuel 95, 1958 Raleigh Superbe (dawn tourist mens), 1958 Raleigh Superbe (dawn tourist ladies), 1978 Carlton Comp Pro, 1974 Carlton Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i normaly 1st date the decala,then normaly with simplex derailer is stamped with a date on the back side of the cage..if the wheels are original they may be stamped. Dont bother about the serial number as its pre 1979 so you will have more luck platting sawdust than working out the serial. Also check the Peugeot catalogues if you get a clue on its age