Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Value on selling my Peter Mooney frame set

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-20, 09:34 PM
Danbianchi881
Cycling addiction

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

I’m planning on selling my Peter Mooney frameset which is too big for me. The frame has no scratches or dents. It is 56cm frame.

How much should I be pricing the frame at?
Old 03-04-20, 10:05 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Nice frame! (Says the guy who had built nearly yours). Mine's 3 cm larger, almost the same color and geometry, just a tad lighter. Same seatstay cap treatment. I have under the BB derailleur cables and canti brakes. My fork is newer with a more gentle bend (that I believe was made on tooling Peter had recently acquired when he made my replacement in 1985). Original fork looked like yours except different crown. I went with Nervex lugs, similar to the Fuji Pro I raced and loved. Water bottle bosses in seat tube also.

It would be fun to park our bikes together. Sisters. Find a good new owner for yours. "Fraid I'm no help on price.

Ben
Old 03-05-20, 10:50 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I'd start with a relatively high buy it now price on Ebay. If it doesn't sell in 30 days, start adjusting the price.
Old 03-05-20, 06:09 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I'd start with a relatively high buy it now price on Ebay. If it doesn't sell in 30 days, start adjusting the price.
True, if you do not ask, you won't get.
But, there have been frames and bikes priced too high and it kind of works like a property priced too high, the discounting begins and the initial greed turns into a rout.
There was a Masi GC that was too high on the 'bay, had to drop $500. before someone probably bought it.
I say probably as ebay cannot be trusted now with completed transaction reports.
I won an auction, paid, the seller, "changed his mind" the deal got unwound, but the auction still shows my bid as the winning and the transaction as done.
Reality? somewhat different.

That all written, a terrible time to achieve good value on a bike or frame.
People feel less rich, their equity mutual funds are not happy.