Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Lung weaker than heart?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Lung weaker than heart?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 02:16 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Lung weaker than heart?

Does anyone else feel like their lung is holding them back? I live around hills so I can cycle up a lot (on flats I haven't noticed this too much). One thing I noticed is that I feel out of breath much before I feel tired in my legs, and when I check my heart rate it seems low. Like mid 160s, that seems low overall/absolutely, but also compared to my max (I have hit 175 cycling before, and from cross country I know it can get to the 180s and not too many years ago from running it would go to mid 180s or higher if I ended a run with a long sprint).

I know the cardiovascular system is a mix of things, also including how well your muscles can take up O2, but still, it feels rather odd. Is it maybe also how I breathe? I recently did a threshold run up my local hill, and tried to focus on breathing out slower and longer and lo and behold I immediately got a new PR.

Thanks for any insight,

ZHVelo
Old 04-08-20, 08:22 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 160 Posts
There are a lot of factors involved but generally speaking your lungs are not limiting your performance. It’s your hearts ability to move blood, your bloods ability to carry it, and your legs ability to use it efficiently.
Likes For procrit:
Old 04-09-20, 03:35 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by procrit
There are a lot of factors involved but generally speaking your lungs are not limiting your performance. It’s your hearts ability to move blood, your bloods ability to carry it, and your legs ability to use it efficiently.
Sure, my question is more, why does it feel that way? Especially considering, my heart is very likely not that close to its maximum (based on readings I have seen it can go up to).
Old 04-09-20, 04:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Lots of factors. Check the allergy report in your area. Pollen count in my area has been ridiculously high most of the past several months, especially the past couple of weeks. I've ridden at night a few times recently, hoping the reduced automobile traffic will stir up less road dust. But I can see a virtual snowstorm of pollen in my headlights.

When allergens hit red zone like that I can barely breathe. That's often more of a factor than my heart rate or overall conditioning. And I can see in my fitness trend over the past year a decline that corresponds with the high allergy level. Everything else is the same but I'm struggling to breathe normally.

In fact it's been so bad I have appointments coming up for ENT, allergist and immunologist.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-09-20, 06:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Just because you've hit a HR zone in the past doesn't mean you can now. You'd have to do the work to get used to doing that again, overly simplistically speaking.

More specifically, you likely ride a lot of Z2 and probably never much real Z4 and up. Therefore, the density of the types of fibers in your legs (and your heart stroke power) aren't there for the bigger efforts.

Do a good amount of work in the upper zones for a short while, and the gains will come.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-09-20, 08:25 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I'm asthmatic myself which has to do with allergies. I also used to be a heavy smoker so it is not surprising that same as yourself, lungs usually give out before legs. People who play wind instruments as well as singers, are taught to breath using diaphram muscles. It is astonishing to me that opera singers with no microphone can fill a music hall with their voice. Basically on the inhale, suck air down into the belly like a fat buddah. The diaphram plus intercostal muscles produce an increase in volume of the chest cavity that air then fills. I learned about the mechanics of breathing from a book "Yoga Anatomy" which has detailed explanations and illustrations of how it all works.
Likes For berner:
Old 04-09-20, 11:37 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by canklecat
Lots of factors. Check the allergy report in your area. Pollen count in my area has been ridiculously high most of the past several months, especially the past couple of weeks. I've ridden at night a few times recently, hoping the reduced automobile traffic will stir up less road dust. But I can see a virtual snowstorm of pollen in my headlights.

When allergens hit red zone like that I can barely breathe. That's often more of a factor than my heart rate or overall conditioning. And I can see in my fitness trend over the past year a decline that corresponds with the high allergy level. Everything else is the same but I'm struggling to breathe normally.

In fact it's been so bad I have appointments coming up for ENT, allergist and immunologist.
That is a sweet insight, though I hope for you it is nothing too serious. I will see if I can find pollen reports for my area, though I think it is not that for me since I have noticed before in times with a lot of visible pollen that my nose just starts leaking from that. And that isn't happening at the moment.
Old 04-09-20, 11:41 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Just because you've hit a HR zone in the past doesn't mean you can now. You'd have to do the work to get used to doing that again, overly simplistically speaking.

More specifically, you likely ride a lot of Z2 and probably never much real Z4 and up. Therefore, the density of the types of fibers in your legs (and your heart stroke power) aren't there for the bigger efforts.

Do a good amount of work in the upper zones for a short while, and the gains will come.
More like I am always too lazy in the winter and lose most progress. However, I have read up a lot about training, even got a power meter and have made myself a nice training plan, so we will see by the end of the summer I guess.

I like the logic behind this though, and it might actually make sense, especially when I was jogging (school and university) and included sprints, I was certainly doing a lot more all out or at least anaerobic high effort work than I have been doing since cycling. Not to mention you move your entire body.
Old 04-09-20, 12:01 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Also, to try to give a similar story.........I run when time is short, can't get the bike out, or it's just too windy or cold or something. All my wannabe racer bike fitness is there in the heart/lungs, but I do not have the muslce/mitochondria and connections made for the run motion.

If I tried to hold my bike 20min HR for a 5k, I would explode my legs and never walk again after a mile.

Even worse if I tried a 1-mile test.
Old 04-11-20, 03:33 PM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
One thing I noticed is that I feel out of breath much before I feel tired in my legs, and when I check my heart rate it seems low. Like mid 160s, that seems low overall/absolutely, but also compared to my max (I have hit 175 cycling before, and from cross country I know it can get to the 180s and not too many years ago from running it would go to mid 180s or higher if I ended a run with a long sprint).
One difference between running and cycling is the ability to select the resistance or "cadence/load" . In running, your legs - and your weight - are both static. In cycling the exercise load present is a function of gear - inches (stride) over cadence, (stride frequency)

Last edited by Richard Cranium; 04-11-20 at 03:47 PM. Reason: could not get link to work
Old 04-11-20, 03:42 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Your heart gets bigger with training. So at a given performance it can beat slower.

Your lungs only degrade from the time you were grown up. Like if 10% of the area is destroyed from air pollution or smoking, it will never come back. No training will add lung capacity. Like people who recover from COVID-19 that lose 30% lung capacity due to scaring will forever be limited to 70% lung capacity.

If your capacity is heart or lung limited, well, that is specific to your body.
Old 04-11-20, 05:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
I've felt that it is my lungs holding me back too. I've imagined that this is why I have to ride a a higher HR to maintain the same speeds that others my age do. But, as I said I only imagine that. I've not talked with a doctor or someone that might have the knowledge to know if that's a real thing.
Old 04-11-20, 07:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
The old-school advice was to shift up a gear to rest your lungs, or shift down a gear to rest your legs.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-12-20, 09:55 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
The pros have greater lung capacity. They're born with it.