Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Mondonico EL-OS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 01:19 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
Just a headset that has indexed, happens to most of them over time.
Old 04-24-20, 03:52 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
New headset $20. I got one of these and never looked back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tange-Levin...cAAOSw4PxaAeJe

The biggest pain is installation, hopefully you have access to the tools. It's worth $20 to be able to ride with no hands and not crash, IMO.
Old 04-24-20, 04:54 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by steelisreal19
There is a catch here and I want to see how bad you all think it is. The fork/headset has a slight click to it. It's dead center, so probably from a light head on collision? I can't find any damage what-so-ever in the frame, so it's not a serious issue I hope, but the click definitely indicates that something happened. It turns fairly smoothly, it's a subtle click.
As an alternative to a crash, the headset could have been damaged by improper or neglected maintenance. I'd inspect/service it and see if the problem persists.
Old 04-24-20, 12:21 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 283 Posts
Wow this is inspiring. What are the wheels? and I'm curious, does the BB look like the pic I posted of mine? From what I can tell our frame are very similar. Mine doesnt have the pantograph on the seat tube, and I have no pump peg.
Thanks! Not sure on the bottom bracket, but I had the wheels hand-built by my bike shop... they're Campagnolo Record (new) hubs with H Plus Son rims... Love them. Good luck!
Old 04-24-20, 10:41 PM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
That is an awesome frame.

The 7 in 56M7 could be for 97. Mondonico made frames for Masi using that size M date marking during that time. Maybe their the same coding.

I don’t think it’s earlier than 90. Maybe someone else knows when fastback seatstays started coming out of Mondonico. 92-93?

Most likely 130mm spacing so you’re good to go for 10 speed or 11 or 12.

The headset is probably just indexed, so there’s a dimple in one of the races causing the click. When you get it stripped down to a frame and forks your LBS would probably install a new headset for cheap if you don’t have the tools / patience. Might even do it while you wait/watch. Those Tange headsets Lemond1985 posted are a real bargain. Although you can sometimes find an early 90’s record headset for just a little more or a chorus for about the same price. For getting it up and going I’d just put a Tange on there. EIther way I predict a new headset in your future.

It’s a good thing I don’t come across deals like this. My house would be full of bicycles. Where would I sleep?
Old 04-24-20, 11:29 PM
Steel1

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 55 Posts
As for the BB stamp, 56M7, I believe that "tall M" is unique to the Mondonico shop. I have a similar vintage Mondonico built Torelli with exact same xxMy format. As mentioned by Itokuno above, there are some Mondonico made Masi with same stamping as well. And I am pretty sure the "7" is year, which would be consistent with mine. If it is reasonable fit, keep it!
Likes For Steel1:
Old 04-25-20, 06:07 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi
....It is a Futura Leggero model, I believe....
According to my mid-1990s price lists, the Columbus EL OS model was atypical of Mondonico, simply and generically being called a Mondonico EL OS. The Futura Leggero was Columbus Brain OS.
Old 04-25-20, 11:00 AM
steelisreal19

Bikes: 2002 Tommasini TecnoTig, 1997 Mondonico ELOS, 1990 Gotti SLX, 1994 Eddy Merckx Corsa, 1994 Pinarello Veneto, 1998 Bianchi Eros,1985 Trek 470

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ltokuno

The 7 in 56M7 could be for 97. Mondonico made frames for Masi using that size M date marking during that time. Maybe their the same coding.

I don’t think it’s earlier than 90. Maybe someone else knows when fastback seatstays started coming out of Mondonico. 92-93?

The headset is probably just indexed, so there’s a dimple in one of the races causing the click. When you get it stripped down to a frame and forks your LBS would probably install a new headset for cheap if you don’t have the tools / patience. Might even do it while you wait/watch. Those Tange headsets Lemond1985 posted are a real bargain. Although you can sometimes find an early 90’s record headset for just a little more or a chorus for about the same price. For getting it up and going I’d just put a Tange on there. EIther way I predict a new headset in your future.

It’s a good thing I don’t come across deals like this. My house would be full of bicycles. Where would I sleep?
A new headset certainly I do want to see if this Dura Ace is salvageable for my Eddy Merckx though, it would match perfectly.

It’s certain that I could fit a 11 or 12 speed in the 130mm spacing? I’d very much like to.

the BB is a first generation octolink - what would you suggest I replace it with? I’m thinking Chorus or Record.

The best find I ever had before this was a ‘90s Pinarello Veneto, so needless to say I’m over the moon about this find. Definitely keeping it. Size is perfect.
Old 04-25-20, 11:01 AM
steelisreal19

Bikes: 2002 Tommasini TecnoTig, 1997 Mondonico ELOS, 1990 Gotti SLX, 1994 Eddy Merckx Corsa, 1994 Pinarello Veneto, 1998 Bianchi Eros,1985 Trek 470

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
According to my mid-1990s price lists, the Columbus EL OS model was atypical of Mondonico, simply and generically being called a Mondonico EL OS. The Futura Leggero was Columbus Brain OS.
Good info, thanks T-Mar.
Old 04-25-20, 11:22 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackers
Just a headset that has indexed, happens to most of them over time.
It's interesting how shifting terminology was appropriated to describe a headset issue. Prior to 1980s, headsets never "indexed". They may have become "indented" but never "indexed".
Old 04-25-20, 12:59 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
This compl

Great looking BB The backward M on the seat stays confirm this is a top end bike.
I do not even see a picture of the seat stays. Do you mean the chain stays?
Old 04-25-20, 04:01 PM
ltokuno

It’s certain that I could fit a 11 or 12 speed in the 130mm spacing? I’d very much like to.
the BB is a first generation octolink - what would you suggest I replace it with? I’m thinking Chorus or Record.
Yep 10, 11, 12 cogs in the rear only takes 130mm spacing. The cogs are just closer together and the chain is narrower. Just make sure everything is compatible.
I'm a fan of Chorus. For what I do I don't really need that last bit of performance Record or Super Record would give. Usually it's just a weight savings. The cost can be easily half for Chorus so more bang for your buck.
There's no denying the bling factor of Super Record though.
I'd look for Ultra-Torque over Power-Torque or Over-Torque. The cups are available new for Ultra-Torque, I'm not sure about the others.
Old 05-15-20, 01:32 PM
steelisreal19

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ltokuno

what do you think of this group set for my Mondonico? Does the rear derailleur look weird? I can’t afford much more than this so I wonder if it will work?

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i...Anull%7D%22%7D
Old 05-15-20, 02:54 PM
steelisreal19

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Or this, although clearly I would need a different front derailleur, headset, and BB. Anything else?

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i...htspeed_banner
Old 05-15-20, 09:08 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Lesser 30 year old club level race bike with Daytona black compnent's pass fot me.
Old 05-16-20, 12:10 AM
steelisreal19

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Lesser 30 year old club level race bike with Daytona black compnent's pass fot me.
where are you getting Daytona from? Both of these are mounted with Record...

also I’m asking if the groups are worth stripping to put on my Mondonico, not to keep for the frames.

thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by steelisreal19; 05-16-20 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-16-20, 09:30 PM
ltokuno

Facebook is being weird. I'm not able to access the links. I can access the marketplace, but Facebook thinks I'm not eligible for the marketplace when I try the links. Weird.
Anyway, as for looks, it's really personal preference. I have old bikes with period correct parts, and an old frame with modern parts. I like the looks of both.
For function, the easiest way to ensure that is to get the same year derailleurs and ergos. That way you don't have to mess with pull ratios, or cog spacing.
In the end I think the most important value is how much you like riding the bike. This probably shouldn't have anything to do with the value or look of the components.
Likes For ltokuno: