Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1958 Mens and Womens Raleigh Sports 3-Speed Bikes - Value?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 04:06 PM
adriennelaine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to this forum and the biking community at large, but I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me out! I was gifted two 1958 Raleigh Sports bikes (one men's, one women's--"his and hers," if you will). I confirmed the date on the rear hub. The couple that originally owned these bikes passed away, but I believe they were the only owners. It looks to me that aside from the saddles and a few aftermarket additions that could be easily removed, all pieces of both bikes are original, Raleigh, and therefore manufactured in Nottingham, England. They're in rough shape in that they've definitely got some rust, have been outside for some time (no covered or indoor area to store them), and are probably not functional for riding without a fair amount of TLC. The men's rear wheel is definitely broken.

In my research on eBay, CL, Oldroads, etc. I see a fair amount of conflicting sale prices, varying quite a bit depending on the year and condition of the bike. I also see that certain individual parts sell for a decent amount. For example, the same pedals for sale starting at $150. I live in Portland, OR where there is a thriving bike community, but don't see a lot of these for sale locally.

Anyway, can anyone help me out in estimating what these are worth, and how I should go about selling them? As is, or per individual parts, etc? Any info/assistance you have would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

PS The forum won't let me upload photos? Unsure why, they are in a JPEG format

Last edited by adriennelaine; 06-12-20 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Wont let me upload photos
Old 06-12-20, 08:46 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Sorry to tell you this after your excellent post but the sports where a lesser models and rough 3 speeds don't have a tone of value.so I would guess about $200 for the pair so . English 3 speed's are are great basic tough work forever bikes but there are about a million of them in good working order world wide so these bikes may not be nearly as special as you hoped. There great bikes with family history sentimental so I would say keep them and take a ride.
Old 06-13-20, 11:41 PM
PatTheSlat 

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Photo help: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/18155207

Nothing super valuable but may be interesting to 3 speed enthusiasts due to the older age. They'll probably clean up nice in the hands of someone knowledgeable. I'd say list the pair as-is at 200, you may find someone who just has to have a matching his-hers pair, but be ready to take less (~100). Raleigh 3 speeds are sort of a niche item, you kinda have to find the right buyer on the right day.