Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Rans F5 seat rail mod

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Rans F5 seat rail mod

Old 07-29-20, 10:33 AM
john908

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rans F5 seat rail mod

Well since my last post I picked up a vision 40 something with front and rear shocks.Had to cut almost 2 inch off boom so that I can ride it.Has 20/26 and rides great.
I picked a 26/26 giro with disk breaks that my son loves to ride.
I also picked up a Ran F5 that is too big for me,I am thinking about moving the seat rail foward,anyone ever do that?How about thick pedals,such a thing?
Old 07-29-20, 08:02 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by john908
Well since my last post I picked up a vision 40 something with front and rear shocks.Had to cut almost 2 inch off boom so that I can ride it.Has 20/26 and rides great.
I picked a 26/26 giro with disk breaks that my son loves to ride.
I also picked up a Ran F5 that is too big for me,I am thinking about moving the seat rail foward,anyone ever do that?How about thick pedals,such a thing?
I wouldn't recommend changing the seat rail so that you can move the seat up further than normal. You'll end up with no room between the seat and steerer, and you'll be transferring more weight to the front wheel. Plus the seat becomes higher as it moves forward.

Going from 175mm cranks to 152mm will move the cranks about an inch closer to you. Other tricks for shorter legs might be: less recline, or if it has a hard shell seat you can use a thicker pad.