Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Great lot of bikes find today

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 02:15 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,484 Times in 3,208 Posts
Looks like it's a nds spoke, too.

If it's your "passion," you should replace it and true the wheel correctly.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-20-20, 03:13 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by natloz
Just looking at comparatives, the Apollo's seem to sell for more than the Fiori's...so I base it off of local comparatives and the repair costs for the spoke.
Are you comparing based on quality, or just brand? The Apollos you see may be higher-end than what you have, and the Fioris may be lower-end. The brand is of little relevance compared to the frame material and level of components. The Fiori you're selling is several notches higer on the totem pole than the Apollo.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-20-20, 04:13 PM
natloz

Bikes: Bianchi Alfana, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Sirrus Pro SS Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Are you comparing based on quality, or just brand? The Apollos you see may be higher-end than what you have, and the Fioris may be lower-end. The brand is of little relevance compared to the frame material and level of components. The Fiori you're selling is several notches higer on the totem pole than the Apollo.
I do what I can, but to your point it is not an exact science. A lot of people don't get down to the component level group-sets in their ads. I saw a Fiori Modena that looked near identical within the range, but I couldn't tell you if it was identical. I would say on average I can get between $200 and $275 for any vintage road bike that is in decent working order (Raleigh Grand Prix - $200, Cyclo Relais - $220, Jetter - $275, Free Spirit - $180, Shields Medallion - $250). ALL the Apollos in my area regardless are $300+ with a number of them at $500 - not sure how well they are selling however, you may see an odd one lower, but on average not. Fiori quite often get falsely advertised as "Italian road bikes" because of their Italian names and paint schemes!
Old 08-21-20, 04:13 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
This year the old real estate adage of "location, location, location" is extremely important. Unless you are in the same area as the person looking for advice, you really can't give an accurate appraisal. That's my take on it anyway.
Old 08-21-20, 08:21 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by kross57
This year the old real estate adage of "location, location, location" is extremely important. Unless you are in the same area as the person looking for advice, you really can't give an accurate appraisal. That's my take on it anyway.
So there are some places in the world where a bike with a cheap heavy frame and low-end components is worth more than one with a CrMo frame and mid-level components? Who knew?
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-21-20, 08:58 AM
Aww

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
300EX, incomplete in this case, is more of a low end than mid range. Anyway, for rideability it is fine - the most basic indexed 7sp Shimano offered.
The prices amaze me though, as both bikes would be considered beaters with <100 value in some markets.
Also I don't get the thing with the spoke, it costs like one dollar and takes two minutes to replace and true the wheel correctly, right?
Old 08-21-20, 09:30 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by Aww
300EX, incomplete in this case, is more of a low end than mid range. Anyway, for rideability it is fine - the most basic indexed 7sp Shimano offered.
Still, higher quality and in better condition than the rusty one on the more expensive bike.

As for the spoke, maybe the seller/OP doesn't have a well-stocked LBS nearby.
Old 08-21-20, 10:11 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The Fiori is by far the higher grade bicycle:

It is the only one with butted CrMo tubing, even if it's only for the main triangle.
It is the only frame with forged dropouts and and bottle bosses
It is the only one with 700C wheels. 27" tyre selection is getting poor.
It is the only one with aluminum rims.
It the only one with quick release on both hubs. All the others are nutted except for the front hub on one Apollo.
It is the only one of the drop bar bicycles that does not have saftey levers.
It is the only one with brake lever hoods
It is the only with down tube shift levers.
It is the only one with indexed shifting.
It is the only one with an aluminum crankset having an integral spider.
I'd guess the Fiori is 4-5 lbs lighter than the other bicycles and that's not just due to the size.

Need I go on?

All this amounts to the Fiori being higher grade than the other bicycles. On the downside there are the broken spokes, small size and cosmetic condition. To a lesser extant there is the brand recognition. Regardless, the features on the Fiori far outweigh the negative factors and I find it hard to envision a market where it wouldn't would be the more desirable and higher priced bicycle. Even with the most uneducated of customers, it wouldn't take much of a salesman to convince a prospective buyer that the Fiori is the superior bicycle.

Last edited by T-Mar; 08-21-20 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-22-20, 03:36 AM
kross57

So there are some places in the world where a bike with a cheap heavy frame and low-end components is worth more than one with a CrMo frame and mid-level components? Who knew?
I was talking about his prices in general, not comparing his bikes to each other. But, if you just want an argument, by all means, feel free to ramble on.
Old 08-22-20, 08:48 AM
natloz

Bikes: Bianchi Alfana, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Sirrus Pro SS Conversion

Originally Posted by hazetguy
please remember that natloz is in Canada, and i am presuming his prices are in Canadian Dollars, so at today's exchange rate, only ~3/4 of a US Dollar.
original price for the pile $315 ($236US).
other mentioned bikes (Raleigh Grand Prix - $200 ($150US), Cyclo Relais - $220 ($155US), Jetter - $275 ($202US), Free Spirit - $180 ($135US), Shields Medallion - $250 ($187US))
Fiori listed at $275 ($202US).

to me, in my location, the only one that would have even been remotely interesting to flip is the Fiori, and i would have had to seriously look at components to see if it was worth it in the first place (borderline, for me, based on the pics).
someone would have had to pay me to take any of the others. around here, i see bikes of that low level quite regularly (yes, even during the pandemic craze) for $20-$35 at thrift stores. not even worth my time to load them in the van.

natloz, i am interested on how your refurbishing and sales on these goes, so please keep updating this thread.
I will update as they sell, in the last few weeks sales are slowing as families start thinking about return to school and fall preparations, this is probably the last big batch i will flip before the snow flies, will keep my eye out for super deals and be more selective. If anything this thread has stimulated some fun conversation, arguments and opinions that are interesting to read during a pandemic lol. I will say this, most customers I see want a bike to ride and go for the look, rarely if ever have i been asked what type of tubing it has. I sold one to a guy simply because the bar tape was his favourite colour as an example. So to a trained eye for someone on this forum i totally understand, but reality around here unless an expert collector, the components don't much matter as long as it shifts smooth, brakes well, has good tires, and looks good for their style. A lady came and bought a 10 speed because it matched her style of her house as an example.

Last edited by natloz; 08-22-20 at 08:52 AM.
Likes For natloz:
Old 08-22-20, 09:59 AM
natloz

Needed parts to fix a few of the other bikes so picked the hi-ten over and have a buyer coming to pay $60 for this today, listed as a great bike to build an SS or fixie with horizontal dropout - Made in Japan. I get some good derailleurs and parts from the wheelset which was pretty rough on this one.

Old 08-23-20, 02:54 PM
madpogue 

A lady came and bought a 10 speed because it matched her style of her house as an example.
You make a good point there, one should never underestimate the... er... esoteric thinking that drives some people's decisions. Accidental expert marketing at its best.
Old 08-24-20, 04:25 PM
natloz

You make a good point there, one should never underestimate the... er... esoteric thinking that drives some people's decisions. Accidental expert marketing at its best.
Some call it being at the right place at the right time!
Likes For natloz:
Old 09-03-20, 03:27 PM
natloz

To summarize, I didn't get rich, but did ok and am happy considering every bike in the lot had its challenges:

Stripped two bikes for parts to fix others in this bunch (Nishiki and Roadace) and sold both frames for a combined total of $65
Sold Fiori (with missing spoke) for $130
Sold Apollo light blue for $150
Sold Apollo dark blue for $160
Sold parts from Nishiki and Roadace for $40

Paid $315 for 5 bikes + parts mostly cables and housing and bar tape ($80) = -$395
Revenue = $65 + $130 + $150 + $160 + $40 = $545
Profit = $545 - $395 = $150

All in all, glad I didn't lose money (just time but that is for a fun hobby), and got some cash in hand to do more!
Challenges I faced - broken wheelset, missing spoke, seized seat post, missing front brake, torn seats, crumbling tires, etc...
Old 09-03-20, 03:36 PM
madpogue 

^^^^^ Another measurable benefit from such a flip is that, what might have become either landfill or recycled steel is instead transportation for several of your neighbors. The price spread, relative to the quality of the bikes, is stil , but that's life in the 2020 bike boom.
Old 09-03-20, 03:39 PM
natloz

^^^^^ Another measurable benefit from such a flip is that, what might have become either landfill or recycled steel is instead transportation for several of your neighbors. The price spread, relative to the quality of the bikes, is stil , but that's life in the 2020 bike boom.
I am also happy I sold every bit of it so I am not collecting anything indefinitely. The product is moving...although slowing...still sold out.
Old 09-05-20, 06:31 AM
kross57

To summarize, I didn't get rich, but did ok and am happy considering every bike in the lot had its challenges:

Stripped two bikes for parts to fix others in this bunch (Nishiki and Roadace) and sold both frames for a combined total of $65
Sold Fiori (with missing spoke) for $130
Sold Apollo light blue for $150
Sold Apollo dark blue for $160
Sold parts from Nishiki and Roadace for $40

Paid $315 for 5 bikes + parts mostly cables and housing and bar tape ($80) = -$395
Revenue = $65 + $130 + $150 + $160 + $40 = $545
Profit = $545 - $395 = $150

All in all, glad I didn't lose money (just time but that is for a fun hobby), and got some cash in hand to do more!
Challenges I faced - broken wheelset, missing spoke, seized seat post, missing front brake, torn seats, crumbling tires, etc...
Interesting that you turned down $300 for the Apollo, then sold it for $160. I guess that was a mistake. Oh well.

In the end they sold for about what I thought they would. Good experience for you anyway.
Old 09-05-20, 08:50 AM
natloz

Interesting that you turned down $300 for the Apollo, then sold it for $160. I guess that was a mistake. Oh well.

In the end they sold for about what I thought they would. Good experience for you anyway.
one of the Apollos was purchased and then listed for $400 by someone else a week later if that gives you any indication of what goes on here! I am ok with it because i made my flip, not sure how they will do... double back flip
Old 09-05-20, 11:26 AM
kross57

one of the Apollos was purchased and then listed for $400 by someone else a week later if that gives you any indication of what goes on here! I am ok with it because i made my flip, not sure how they will do... double back flip
Around here sales are dropping off. I doubt they will get $400.
Old 09-05-20, 12:37 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Nobody is going to get rich off of flipping bikes.
we all do it for "fun" and pay for our hobby.

I have been lucky to make about 50% ( double) what I paid with a few hours of fun work.
that pays for the bikes I keep🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🙂🙂
I am interested in how the OP....or anyone else....removed a seized seat post.
Aluminum post seized to steel.
I have one on a 1987 tempo. Bike work perfect, good shape.
I know RJ the bike guy has done this.
He is amazing.
anyway.....happy the OP turned a profit and got experience fixing bikes.
That's how I look at it.
ride /be safe🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲
Old 09-07-20, 01:54 PM
natloz

Around here sales are dropping off. I doubt they will get $400.
Yes, I would agree!
Old 09-07-20, 01:55 PM
natloz

I don't think it was a mistake, just a missed opportunity. I still made money considering I was into it for about $75.
Old 09-07-20, 01:58 PM
natloz

Originally Posted by bikemike73
Nobody is going to get rich off of flipping bikes.
we all do it for "fun" and pay for our hobby.

I have been lucky to make about 50% ( double) what I paid with a few hours of fun work.
that pays for the bikes I keep🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🙂🙂
I am interested in how the OP....or anyone else....removed a seized seat post.
Aluminum post seized to steel.
I have one on a 1987 tempo. Bike work perfect, good shape.
I know RJ the bike guy has done this.
He is amazing.
anyway.....happy the OP turned a profit and got experience fixing bikes.
That's how I look at it.
ride /be safe🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲
I sold mine as a frame with seized post and got some money for it. My friend recently battled one out, basically ended up snapping it off with dry ice, then used a long hand saw to cut it out and slowly peel it away, then used a honing tool to clean up the corrosion after soaking in Evaporust. Of course this was for a bike he wanted to keep long term but for flipping would not be worth it to me...this is where I would strip it and sell the parts and then sell the frame as-is for a single speed project bike.