Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 06:10 PM
decentdrummer91

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet

What should I look for in a helmet? Not trying to be a weight weenie, but is lighter helmet better, or recommended? I've never worn one before, but I'm finally going to buy one
Old 01-10-17, 06:21 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
There's a lot of controversy over the effectiveness and even necessity of helmets, which I'll overlook.

The last helmet I shopped for, I considered comfort, expected durability, and the ability to fit under the hood of my raincoat and winter coat, for all-weather year-round use.

If and when it wears out, I will look into the new MIPS technology, and decide if it deserves to be one of my criteria.
Old 01-10-17, 06:28 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I like Bell Muni because of the bill, Bontrager blinikies and mirror that snap in - I'm on my 4th now
Old 01-10-17, 06:32 PM
sarahbruce

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Comfortable fit is 80% of my criteria! The other 20% is airflow/price/looks. Of course there is personal preference, type of riding, and location to take into consideration also.

For example-
I have a larger than average head, live in Florida, ride at a slow to moderate pace, while doing utility/cargo/recreational rides. So right now I ended up with a Bell Stoker. This is available in a L/XL size that fits the shape of my head, has enough airflow to keep my head reasonably cool, and has plenty of coverage all around. I believe I paid $55 for it during a sale, which is a good pricepoint for me. The looks are also acceptable.

I would definetly suggest trying on as many helmets as needed to find one that fits "just right". I have tried on a ton of helmets in the past and even now I continue to try on helmets whenever I am somewhere and I see new ones. If I find a new helmet that feels better than my current one, then I would buy that one next.

Hope that helps,
Bruce
Old 01-10-17, 06:37 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Weight is a component of comfort, so it matters even if you aren't a weight weenie. For me, ventilation is the most important factor. Followed by weight.
Old 01-10-17, 06:37 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It's my understanding that all helmets have to meet safety standards so you can probably go with the inexpensive department store helmets without sacrificing. I agree with comfort and I also agree with having a bill or sun visor whihc can really help. Beyond safety, I think helmets also offer protection from the sun like any hat.
Old 01-10-17, 06:38 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Pick one that fits your head and you like, and go with it. It doesn't matter how safe it is, if you don't wear it because it isn't comfortable or nto to your style, it does you no good.

Mine came from a local big box shop, Schwinn branded for like $15. It is comfy, and no one can really provide any conclusive evidence that a much more expensive one is any more effective in a crash. Lighter, more aerodynamic, cools better, has features they need, yeah, plenty of evidence for that, not so much for protection.
Old 01-10-17, 06:41 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
I hate helmets !
But I wear one, sometimes.
Usually a lone wolf cyclist- however when I ride with a group, on a mup or in dense traffic, I do wear one.
My head is more round than oval, how helmet feel is a major selection factor. I also like ratchet adjustment band & lots of vent slots. Don't pay much attention to weight or cost.
Old 01-10-17, 07:01 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
It's my understanding that all helmets have to meet safety standards so you can probably go with the inexpensive department store helmets without sacrificing. I agree with comfort and I also agree with having a bill or sun visor whihc can really help. Beyond safety, I think helmets also offer protection from the sun like any hat.
All helmets are supposed to meet safety standards. I don't know of anywhere where consumers can go look at the safety institute's test results though. It's not even clear to me whether the safety standards are tested for every maker and model of helment. Likewise, passing a standard just means it's some arbitrary minimum requirement. If you buy a car, you probably take a look though at the relative performance of one model vs another -- eg. braking distance, etc.. 3, vs. 4, vs. 5-star crash ratings etc.

For those interested in MIPS, and considering the frigid weather recently, realize that some brands of MIPS helmets (if not all of them) advise that you are not supposed to wear any hat under these helmets. I've been on a couple rides where others were really surprised to hear this. Something to do with adding a slip plane to the helmets built-in slip plane.

For the OP, look for a standard $50-70 helmet from a major manufacturer -- whatever's most comfortable, and call it a day.
Old 01-10-17, 08:02 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by decentdrummer91
What should I look for in a helmet? Not trying to be a weight weenie, but is lighter helmet better, or recommended? I've never worn one before, but I'm finally going to buy one
With your need for supreme aeroness, nothing short of a full tt helmet will do. The longer the tailing, the more aero. Go for that.
Old 01-10-17, 08:03 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
With your need for supreme aeroness, nothing short of a full tt helmet will do. The longer the tailing, the more aero. Go for that.
Can you provide a quote for that, because I don't recall saying that? Only helpful comments please
Old 01-10-17, 08:04 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jon c.
Weight is a component of comfort, so it matters even if you aren't a weight weenie. For me, ventilation is the most important factor. Followed by weight.
You should go into a motorcycle shop and lift a few helmets, they weigh 5 times what a pushbike helmet weighs and we ride with them on our heads all day long. The difference in a few grams between one icecream bucket and the next is only of importance to the marketing department trying to justify a $300 price tag.
Old 01-10-17, 08:05 PM
rubiksoval

Something like this would look sweet with your Specialized, especially if you're riding really low.

https://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.co...met-630-80.jpg
Old 01-10-17, 08:06 PM
rubiksoval

Can you provide a quote for that, because I don't recall saying that? Only helpful comments please
It's in your handlebar drop thread. I'm sure you can find it easier than I can.

Now, if you're going to be riding the upright hybrid with the adjustable stem, then that might require something a little different. I'd go for something oldschoolish, maybe a leather hairnet?
Old 01-10-17, 08:07 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's in your handlebar drop thread. I'm sure you can find it easier than I can.

Now, if you're going to be riding the upright hybrid with the adjustable stem, then that might require something a little different. I'd go for something oldschoolish, maybe a leather hairnet?
You're confusing me with someone else, squirt.
Old 01-10-17, 08:07 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by coominya
You should go into a motorcycle shop and lift a few helmets, they weigh 5 times what a pushbike helmet weighs and we ride with them on our heads all day long. The difference in a few grams between one icecream bucket and the next is only of importance to the marketing department trying to justify a $300 price tag.
But there IS a difference between pedaling a bike and riding on a motorcycle. And that component is a pretty important one when comparing the two.
Old 01-10-17, 08:08 PM
rubiksoval

You're confusing me with someone else, squirt.
Do you like the helmet or not?
Old 01-10-17, 08:08 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
I rode a motorcycle for years, including cross country tours. Much of the time in a relatively heavy full face helmet. What you say is true, but for me it just isn't the same. Maybe head position has something to do with it. But I've found weight in a bike helmet really does make a difference for me.

Having said that, it is a distant secondary consideration to ventilation.
Old 01-10-17, 08:11 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm certainly no expert, but I'll just say that my helmet is a $20 Schwinn Walmart special and it's plenty light and comfortable, even for my big head. And I wear it every time I ride.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 01-10-17 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 08:12 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you like the helmet or not?
I'm still not sure if you're trolling me or not
Old 01-10-17, 08:13 PM
rubiksoval

I'm still not sure if you're trolling me or not
Ah, mate, every time you pose a question I give you helpful answers. You're so insecure.

Do you want to wear a helmet? Sounds like it!
Do you want to go fast? Apparently so!

I even found a helmet that matched the color scheme of your bike. What more help can I give?
Old 01-10-17, 08:16 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, mate, every time you pose a question I give you helpful answers. You're so insecure.

Do you want to wear a helmet? Sounds like it!
Do you want to go fast? Apparently so!

I even found a helmet that matched the color scheme of your bike. What more help can I give?
You confused me because you started talking about hybrid bike, and my desire for aero ness, I don't even ride a tri bike anymore.

It's a cool helmet but I would feel a bit goofy wearing a tri helmet on a road bike
Old 01-10-17, 08:16 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I'm certainly no expert, but I'll say that my helmet is a $20 Schwinn Walmart special and it's plenty light and comfortable, even for my big head.
Thanks for the tip. I don't want to spend a lot of money so that's probably what I'll do.
Old 01-10-17, 08:20 PM
rubiksoval

You confused me because you started talking about hybrid bike, and my desire for aero ness, I don't even ride a tri bike anymore.

It's a cool helmet but I would feel a bit goofy wearing a tri helmet on a road bike
Yes, your desire for aeroness, which is why you ride a bike too small with your seat jacked way up high and your handlebars a lot lower. You talked about it for pages and pages.

But anyway, maybe that much drop hurt you a little bit so you've sorted it out. And that's the thing about helmets! You don't need to be on a certain bike. They're protecting you no matter which bike you ride.

Very versatile piece of equipment. And think of all the multitools and other cool things you can store in the tailing! Built in aero storage unit!
Old 01-10-17, 08:22 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, your desire for aeroness, which is why you ride a bike too small with your seat jacked way up high and your handlebars a lot lower. You talked about it for pages and pages.

But anyway, maybe that much drop hurt you a little bit so you've sorted it out. And that's the thing about helmets! You don't need to be on a certain bike. They're protecting you no matter which bike you ride.

Very versatile piece of equipment. And think of all the multitools and other cool things you can store in the tailing! Built in aero storage unit!
I'm not sure what you get out of trying to bully someone. Thanks for the helpful advice, and have a nice day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.