Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Helmet Advice

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Helmet Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 07:10 AM
MK313

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet Advice

Didn't want to hijack the helmet poll going on seperately.

I don't wear a helmet when I ride for various reasons. I'm not looking to be convinced to wear one or get into a discussion about the benefits/drawbacks of one, etc. I need to purchase one for an upcoming group ride & one of my big gripes with the older ones was how hot they became. I'm looking to get one that is as cool (temperature-wise, not looks) & comfortable as possible. Price isn't really an obstacle, but it's hard to tell how comfortable a helmet will be by trying it on inside an air conditioned store. My local bike shops carry helmets by Bell, Giro, bontrager & Specialized, although I'm bnot opposed to ordering another brand off the internet if they are more comfortable.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Last edited by MK313; 08-03-11 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-03-11, 07:43 AM
Verbose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently purchased a specialized echelon on sale at my lbs. It somehow cools me head better than no helmet at all, which I suppose has to do with the areas it directs air toward. It's a tad wider than my previous helmet, but overall it's very comfortable. I think once you hit the $50-60+ pricepoint for road helmets the ventilation really goes up.
Old 08-03-11, 07:44 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Pretty much any of the basic helmets by Bell or others will work fine, they're pretty similar. Find one that has a comfortable strap and retaining system, and one that fits snugly. You're not going to get massive improvements over the basic ones, go for comfort and good cooling vents.
Old 08-03-11, 07:49 AM
Cyclogenesis

Bikes: Trek Madonne 4.5, Yeti 575

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto what has been said.. spend a decent amount and you will get something light and comfortable and well ventilated... A basic vanilla helmet is the Bell Solar (we have a share bike program at work, they gave this out to those that competed the training, basic but works!)... I use a Lazer Mamba XC (wanted something pretty heavy duty for MTB use)... As with most gear: Goto shop, try it on, buy what feels good! And remember the old saying: Man who by expensive cries once, man who buys cheap cries many many times...
Old 08-03-11, 07:55 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclogenesis
Bell Solar
works for me.

Another option is the Uvex Touring - inexpensive, has a fantastic chin strap fastener and bug screens in the front vents.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-03-11, 09:24 AM
mttx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am currently looking for one and I think I have my eyes on the Giro Atmos. Very confortable and light weight. So much that kinda feels like I don't even have one on my head. But again, it cost ~$125...

Basically all helmet does the same job no matter what you pay for. Vents, weight (materials used), retaining system will have a huge factor on how much you are paying for your helmet. Best advice is to go to your lbs and try them on. Only you can know if the helmet is the ight one for you.

Cheers.
Old 08-03-11, 09:37 AM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I definitely plan to go to the bike store to try them on (unless the far & away 'winner' is not available locally) but it's hard to judge airflow by trying on helmets at the LBS, which is why I figured I'd ask here.

Last edited by MK313; 08-03-11 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-03-11, 09:43 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MK313
I definitely plan to go to the bike store to try them on (unless the far & away 'winner' is not available locally) but it's hard to judge airflow by trying on helmets at the LBS, which is why I figured I'd ask here.
Most LBS allow you to test ride their bikes and require you to wear a helmet to do so. I'm sure if you express an interest in a certain helmet at the same time you express interest in test riding a bike, you could kill two birds with one stone, even if you only eat one.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-03-11, 10:49 AM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Most LBS allow you to test ride their bikes and require you to wear a helmet to do so. I'm sure if you express an interest in a certain helmet at the same time you express interest in test riding a bike, you could kill two birds with one stone, even if you only eat one.
Great idea, thanks!
Old 08-03-11, 11:35 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
If you normally don't ride one and just need a helmet for one event, get the cheapest one out there -- Bontrager Solstice, Giro Indicator are the cheap ones I know; I bet there's Bell and Specialized models in the same price range ~$40
Old 08-03-11, 12:21 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I just picked up a Giro Prolight and it's amazingly comfortable and super vented. If the sale is still on, they're dumping their stock to make room for the 2012 model (which is a gnat-crap lighter than the 2011) and Competitive Cyclist has them for 35% off.

Try one on somewhere first, because they made it so light by removing some of the adjustability features. The Y-harness at the ears is fixed, and the occipital retention is elastic instead of twist-adjustable. The only adjustment you have is the chin-strap.
Old 08-03-11, 12:25 PM
Ratchet
stupid after seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course, it depends how long the "event" is. My husband's only organized event was two hot summer days long. I get out a lot more often, so an "event" to me might be a ride with a touring ladies' group tonight for a few hours. The length of the event will matter...
That said, I just upgraded from my $50 helmet to my $200 one, and the difference blew me away. The vents DO make a huge difference, and the weight makes me forget it's even on, which is something I never experienced with the other. Up to a certain point (the point past which is ridiculousness, I guess), I think you usually get what you pay for.
Old 08-03-11, 06:10 PM
sdvictor
Ride the Santa Cruz Mtns!

Bikes: Felt Curbside, Cervelo R3 Rival, Specialized Tarmac Pro SL4 Ultegra Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best helmets are in the 150-200 range. It's almost like you're not wearing a helmet.

You really do get what you pay for.

My recommendations - Giro Atmos or Giro Ionos.

More vents = inherently less stiff = more cost in other materials (outside of foam and plastic) to maintain structural integrity during impact. The Giro helmets have carbon fiber inserts to make sure they hold up during a crash.
Old 08-03-11, 08:00 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MK313
My local bike shops carry helmets by Bell, Giro, bontrager & Specialized, ...
You'll surely find something good among those manufacturers.

I really like my Specialized S-Works and would likely only replace it with a Prevail. Great ventilation, really light, and it's the only helmet that fits more comfortably than my S-Works.

But, I think you should also check out the Echelon and the Propero. Try the Bell and Giro helmets in that price range, too.

About making a guess at ventilation if they don't let you test one on a ride --

I had a helmet with a rental bike earlier this year that didn't vent worth a crap. The vents in front could have taken air in, but there's no exit in back. Look around for shots of a Prevail, Catlike Whisper, etc., and compare them to this one. Here's what the inside-rear looked like:
Old 08-03-11, 09:35 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Fox Flux is fairly cool but it geared more towards mountain biking so you might not like the chunky styling and it's not for weight weenies. It has a more coverage than typical helmets though.
Old 08-03-11, 09:58 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I ride with a Giro Indicator and to be honest I've never had my head feel any hotter than the rest of me while riding. In fact, I feel that my helmet actually does a pretty good job of cooling down my head in the blistering hot and humid summer weather we get here in Shanghai.
Old 08-03-11, 10:15 PM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride with an older Giro helmet that probably cost me $40, 8 years ago. They're good for keeping the sun off your head. Designed for air flow or ventilation makes them cooler than a ball cap or other hat. It took some trial and error adjusting the straps to fit comfortably around my ears, but since then it's always comfortable with the straps. I usually forget I'm wearing it, until it gets smacked by a low tree branch, and then it's better than me getting smacked in the head.
Old 08-03-11, 10:29 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I just picked up a Giro Prolight and it's amazingly comfortable and super vented. If the sale is still on, they're dumping their stock to make room for the 2012 model (which is a gnat-crap lighter than the 2011) and Competitive Cyclist has them for 35% off.

Try one on somewhere first, because they made it so light by removing some of the adjustability features. The Y-harness at the ears is fixed, and the occipital retention is elastic instead of twist-adjustable. The only adjustment you have is the chin-strap.
My mileage varies with the Prolight. it is light, but I found it uncomfortable and having crummy ventilation. moreover, sweat leaked into my eyes worse than with my older helmet. I'm sending it back. The only time I notice its lightness is when I'm holding it in my hands or showing off to a friend. Once on my head I don't notice.

Much prefer the Bell Volt which, while heavier, has unbelievable ventilation and never lets a drop of sweat into my eyes...even on an 8-hour century in 90-degree weather, which I did last weekend.

There is a reason the pros don't wear the prolight... note that Cadel Evans was in a Volt
Old 08-04-11, 04:07 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Hi

I ride with a Bell Sweep .. temperatures have got over 50 C on the bike and the helmet hasn't got to hot for me.

You might find https://helmets.org worth a visit for ideas.

Regards
Andrew
Old 08-04-11, 04:14 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Do white or light-coloured helmets keep you cooler than dark ones?
Old 08-04-11, 07:51 AM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. All of this is useful to me. Thanks for the tips on cooling, etc & for all of the results with specific models.
Old 08-04-11, 09:12 AM
c_mack9

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Do white or light-coloured helmets keep you cooler than dark ones?
i've been wondering this too.

i have seen the bell transfer mentioned twice, i have one and would not recommend it. im currently looking to upgrade to something that vents better. it's only $30 so it serves it purpose but its huge, makes me look like a mushroom, the straps are very uncomfortable, and sweat pools up in the vents. after my last ride i bent down to sit my bottle down and sweat poured out of the top of my helmet.
Old 08-04-11, 09:52 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
If you normally don't ride one and just need a helmet for one event, get the cheapest one out there --
This looks like good advice, I should have taken it myself. I too don't use one normally, but have one because I have from time to time participated in events where they were mandatory. FWIW I bought a Giro Atmos because it seemed the best ventilated of those available at the time. I seriously doubt, however, that it has much advantage over cheaper models.
Old 08-04-11, 08:26 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sdvictor
The best helmets are in the 150-200 range. It's almost like you're not wearing a helmet.

You really do get what you pay for.

My recommendations - Giro Atmos or Giro Ionos.

More vents = inherently less stiff = more cost in other materials (outside of foam and plastic) to maintain structural integrity during impact. The Giro helmets have carbon fiber inserts to make sure they hold up during a crash.
I disagree, and I wonder how you know the bit about "structural integrity" to be true. At any rate, I've tried very expensive helmets that I didn't like, and fairly cheap helmets that were perfectly satisfactory. When I wear a helmet, it's a $50 "sale special" made by Bell. They all pass the same tests, for whatever that's worth, so if you find one that's comfortable, who cares what it costs - unless you're trying to impress someone, of course...
Old 08-04-11, 09:55 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
.. - unless you're trying to impress someone, of course...
If anyone thinks they can impress someone with a helmet, they're out of their mind.

That said, I wouldn't have gotten my S-Works if I hadn't gotten a great price on it. I very nearly bought one earlier right after I tried it on, though.

Yeah, I could have kept using my first helmet, a Giro taped-shell from about 1999, but this one is so much nicer that I don't think about what it cost. I'd rather have a comfy helmet, regardless of price, than an uncomfortable one (also regardless of price; as an example, I won't buy a Giro Ionos or a Bell Sweep because they're just not as comfortable).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.