Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bontrager Specter Helmet

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bontrager Specter Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 10:25 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Bontrager Specter Wavecel Helmet

Any opinions on this helmet? I’m thinking of purchasing it bc I suffered a concussion on my last crash and I was wearing a helmet with no MIPS. I didn’t like the feeling of losing consciousness and dizziness after hitting my head on the pavement. It appears their technology is 48x more effective in preventing concussions.
Old 03-08-21, 10:49 PM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
It appears their technology is 48x more effective in preventing concussions.
That's what Bontrager has claimed but it's exceptionally difficult to prove... or disprove. See: https://www.velonews.com/gear/man-su...safety-claims/

FWIW I have a Specter and do like it a lot. Haven't yet tested it with a hard crash... thankfully.
Old 03-08-21, 10:54 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Greiselman
That's what Bontrager has claimed but it's exceptionally difficult to prove... or disprove. See: https://www.velonews.com/gear/man-su...safety-claims/

FWIW I have a Specter and do like it a lot. Haven't yet tested it with a hard crash... thankfully.
is the wavecel on your helmet a soft cushion or hard like the foam?
Old 03-08-21, 11:08 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked 1,790 Times in 1,033 Posts
I have the Specter and I really like it. The cell material is not a foam material. I wear prescription glasses and some have complained about it sitting low, but it does not bother me or sit so low that it impacts my glasses.

Old 03-08-21, 11:15 PM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
is the wavecel on your helmet a soft cushion or hard like the foam?
It has a little give but I wouldn't say it's soft. But none of the Wavecel material actually touches your head. The contact points feel like any other helmet.
Old 03-08-21, 11:19 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Greiselman
It has a little give but I wouldn't say it's soft. But none of the Wavecel material actually touches your head. The contact points feel like any other helmet.
thanks for sharing. Will have to find a LBS that has them in stock and try them on.
Old 03-08-21, 11:32 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
I have a Bontrager Specter helmet and I'm very pleased with it, I did a fair amount of research on wave-cell technology and was satisfied enough afterwards that I went to my Trek store and grabbed the Specter. There have been comments on some reviews that it is heavy but I haven't found it to feel heavy when wearing it, a common question has been the breathability of the helmet due to the wave-cell structure interfering with airflow. I have not experienced any issues with airflow, in fact I seem to feel that the wave-cell design actually does a great job of ventilating the entire top of my head instead of just where the vents are located. It does have an excellent rating in the Virginia Tech helmet tests. On my head I needed the large size and this is, by far, the most comfortable helmet I ever had.
Old 03-08-21, 11:34 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by trainchaser
I have a Bontrager Specter helmet and I'm very pleased with it, I did a fair amount of research on wave-cell technology and was satisfied enough afterwards that I went to my Trek store and grabbed the Specter. There have been comments on some reviews that it is heavy but I haven't found it to feel heavy when wearing it, a common question has been the breathability of the helmet due to the wave-cell structure interfering with airflow. I have not experienced any issues with airflow, in fact I seem to feel that the wave-cell design actually does a great job of ventilating the entire top of my head instead of just where the vents are located. It does have an excellent rating in the Virginia Tech helmet tests. On my head I needed the large size and this is, by far, the most comfortable helmet I ever had.
have you ridden with it over the summer?
Old 03-09-21, 06:03 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

have you ridden with it over the summer?
Hi, yes, I commute on my bike so the Specter has seen all season usage, no complaints whatsoever, great helmet, you won't regret buying one and will also have some reassurance that it offers some of the best protection you can get in a bike helmet. Cheers
Old 03-09-21, 06:04 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Hi, yes, I commute on my bike so the Specter has seen all season usage, no complaints whatsoever, great helmet, you won't regret buying one and will also have some reassurance that it offers some of the best protection you can get in a bike helmet. Cheers
Very helpful info. Thanks
Old 03-09-21, 06:57 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I have one. It's comfortable and well made. While it's ok in cold weather or for slow riding, but it's much too poorly ventilated for vigorous cycling. A hot helmet is an absolute deal killer for me. Also, while the magnetic buckle is a great design, the straps inevitably slip as I ride. Lastly, I trust Virginia Tech more than most tests and while the Specter seems safe, it's no better than many other MIPS helmets that are lighter and much better ventilated. I would look at the Lazer Sphere if you want a similar helmet with better ventilation and apparently even more safety. I really like the Bell Z20 MIPS too, it's also top-rated for safety.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 03-09-21, 07:10 PM
trainchaser

For what it's worth, I never found the Specter helmet to be hot this past summer and I was riding home on some pretty warm days, I was actually surprised with how well the helmet ventilation works. Obviously Hiro's experience varies from mine. I've never had an issue with the straps and I really like the magnetic clasp.
Old 03-09-21, 08:20 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

I too never found it hot in the warm weather. I generally used Bell Helmets in the past and I could not feel any difference in cooling between the 2.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-09-21, 08:24 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I too never found it hot in the warm weather. I generally used Bell Helmets in the past and I could not feel any difference in cooling between the 2.

what temperature? I live in SoCal and hottest temperature I usually ride in is about 95-100 degrees during the summer. Hoping the helmet won’t be too hot at that temperature
Old 03-09-21, 09:08 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9659 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
I have one, and it is my preferred helmet. Didn’t find it any hotter than my other helmet that is a well ventilated mips. Living in Texas, you can’t say we don’t have hot summers. If you like the look and fit, give it a try. Doesn’t Trek give a 30 day free look?
Old 03-09-21, 09:37 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I have one, and it is my preferred helmet. Didn’t find it any hotter than my other helmet that is a well ventilated mips. Living in Texas, you can’t say we don’t have hot summers. If you like the look and fit, give it a try. Doesn’t Trek give a 30 day free look?
if your head is not over heating in Texas then I should be fine in SoCal. Thanks for sharing

their website states they offer unconditional guarantee for 30 days on all Bontrager after market parts. Unsure if that includes their helmet. I will contact them to make sure.
Old 03-09-21, 10:29 PM
jaxgtr

what temperature? I live in SoCal and hottest temperature I usually ride in is about 95-100 degrees during the summer. Hoping the helmet won’t be too hot at that temperature
I am in Florida, so ....hot and humid is the norm.

Old 03-09-21, 10:30 PM
jaxgtr

if your head is not over heating in Texas then I should be fine in SoCal. Thanks for sharing

their website states they offer unconditional guarantee for 30 days on all Bontrager after market parts. Unsure if that includes their helmet. I will contact them to make sure.
Anything Bontrager for the 30 day comfort guaranty

Old 03-10-21, 08:38 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9659 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts

I know it includes their shoes based on what the local store told me.
Old 03-10-21, 11:54 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

For what it's worth, I never found the Specter helmet to be hot this past summer and I was riding home on some pretty warm days, I was actually surprised with how well the helmet ventilation works. Obviously Hiro's experience varies from mine. I've never had an issue with the straps and I really like the magnetic clasp.
Do you guys feel the wavecel would cut your head if by chance you crashed and it comes into contact with your head?
Old 03-10-21, 12:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6289 Post(s)
Liked 4,880 Times in 3,362 Posts
You are worrying too much. Just buy the helmet and get your own experiences. Like bicycles, it shouldn't be the only one you ever get.
Old 03-10-21, 04:46 PM
jaxgtr

Do you guys feel the wavecel would cut your head if by chance you crashed and it comes into contact with your head?
No, I do not worry about that. The edges are not sharp