Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to learn how to tune up bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-16, 11:34 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts

I've been searching online for bike maintenance, but it just so complex and every video and every site seems different. I don't know where to start. Now I do have free tune up for life with my LBS. Do I trust them and how often do I bring it in? Do I bring it in all the time or just every few months? I ride almost every day unless it's raining hard.

See I don't want these little things to add up and start ruining my bike. So far I think the bike is doing good, but you never know. I'm just not the sharpest tool in the shed obviously. So learning is hard.
Old 03-05-16, 11:52 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
The best way to learn is hands on, with an experienced person at your side to guide you. Maybe you have a cycling friend who knows his stuff? If not, join a club and find someone.

Also, some bike shops offer mechanical training classes. I know of two near me that do.
Old 03-06-16, 12:07 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 123 Posts
Bike Co-ops are a great source for these. Many larger cities have them and even some smaller ones have them, also. Try Googling for your local.

Cheers,
Old 03-06-16, 12:08 AM
goraman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike performance has spin doctor classes for free on Thursdays. I'd start there.
Old 03-06-16, 12:19 AM
chrislee99777
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best way to learn is hands on,you can ask a more professional cycling friend tune up bike with you.He will teach you effectively.If you don't have a friend like this,maybe you can youtube "how to tune up a bike"
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+tune+up+a+bike
Good luck!!
Old 03-06-16, 12:41 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Up until about 3 years ago I didn't even know how to use barrel adjusters for my brakes or derailleurs. I could oil my chain and pump up my tires and that's it. Now I can take a bike (1990's and earlier - not up on all the more modern electronic shifting, etc) apart and overhaul.

Parktool.com has a fixit section and tells how to do things. Start with something simple like rep,acing a chain or brake pads. Read reputable sources on how to do it, then give it a go. Slowly, as you want to do other things you will look it up or buy a book or check out at your library, and follow the instructions.

Its incredibly rewarding to not have to rely on a bike shop for every little thing.
Old 03-06-16, 04:23 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's a sub-forum specifically for bicycle mechanics. Why don't you take your trolling there for a while? I'm sure they'd be delighted.
Old 03-06-16, 05:09 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18451 Post(s)
Liked 4,562 Times in 3,389 Posts
Find an interesting old $100 to $200 bicycle that is past its prime. And, tear it down and build it back up.
Old 03-06-16, 06:02 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Take a class.
Old 03-06-16, 06:05 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Find an interesting old $100 to $200 bicycle that is past its prime. And, tear it down and build it back up.
An inexpensive used bike is a great place to start, but a full tear down and rebuild might be a bit much for a newbie. That's usually how a garage sale "bike in a box" is born.

Bike co-ops or bike maintenance classes at an LBS are great ideas if they are available in your area. If you are going completely DIY, I highly recommend getting one of the good bike maintenance manuals like Park Tool's Blue Book or Zinn's Art of Bike Maintenance. Park also has a good online blog where you can point at any portion of a bike and get links to articles on maintenance and repair for that part. There are a lot of good maintenance and repair videos on YouTube, watch for the good professional looking ones from Bicycle Magazine or other reputable sources, some of the amateur ones are a bit hinky.

I suggest learning one system at a time, ie, replace your shifter cables and adjust the derailleurs one session, then tackle replacing brake pads and adjusting the brakes another time, on a third evening practice truing the wheels, etc. A set of screwdrivers, a set of metric hex (allen) wrenches, a set of metric combination wrenches or a metric socket set, and a chain breaker will get you started. I found that it was better to buy individual bike specific tools as needed, the pre-made kits often include tools you will rarely if ever use or which may not be correct for your bike. This is another place where bike co-ops shine, you get to use bike specific tools to determine which ones work and you really need, and which ones are used so seldom that it is better to use the co-op or LBS.

Last edited by GravelMN; 03-06-16 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-06-16, 07:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18586 Post(s)
Liked 16,070 Times in 7,543 Posts
Get some class.
Old 03-06-16, 07:17 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Screw up.

Just do it. Get a book like Zinn's or check on line like Park Tool for guidance. You're sure to make some mistakes along the way but, the greater the frustration, the greater sense of accomplishment after you figure it out.
Old 03-06-16, 06:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18451 Post(s)
Liked 4,562 Times in 3,389 Posts
I don't think the OP mentioned what kind of bike he had.

I agree, one can "screw up" a bit as part of learning. But, I'd much rather screw up a $100 bike than screw up a $5000 bike. Plus, I'm more willing to take risks on a cheap bike.

But, yes, just take the plunge. Like going swimming. One never gets in if one thinks the toes are too cold to take another step. Plunge in and start swimming.
Old 03-06-16, 06:28 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 2,220 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
There's a sub-forum specifically for bicycle mechanics. Why don't you take your trolling there for a while? I'm sure they'd be delighted.
I almost got sucked into replying. Thanks. Your post kept me from feeding him and make it worse.
Old 03-07-16, 09:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
... I'm just not the sharpest tool in the shed obviously...
I LOL'd. Thank you, Dreamrider.
Old 03-07-16, 11:12 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I learned by doing. I've done 100% of all my car repair and maintenance for over 15 years now, most of which I learned by watching and helping friends, and the interwebz. Repair manuals have helped, also. I built up a repertoire of tools over the years. Now with cycling, I was no stranger to wrenching but some of the finer aspects of bike "mechanitry" were beyond my knowledge when I first started. So I joined here at BF, read a lot, and asked questions when I couldn't find the answer. BikeForums and YouTube have gotten me through pretty much everything. Co-ops are a great resource also, but unfortunately the Memphis co-op isn't anywhere near or convenient for me. And like my automotive tools, I have built up a decent stable of bike tools as well.

The main thing I still want to learn/try is wheel building.
Old 03-07-16, 08:20 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
I found a couple bike repair books at the library. I bought a real nice repair book at half price books. 10 bux
Old 03-07-16, 11:38 PM
jgadamski

Bikes: e-bike and a steel framed roadie

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a community cycling non-profit in your city? Often they do things like working on kids bikes for Christmas or maintaining a fleet of bikes for a bike safety unit in schools. No, you don't work on a carbon fiber whatever with luxe components.. but you do some good, and you learn basics.
In Portland there is the Community Cycling Center and North Portland Bikeworks. I don't know the rest of the country, but years ago, Times Up in NYC had something going. look around