Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quick Release can't get tight enough. Need spacers on axle?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 10:46 AM
Bustaknot

Bikes: Crappy ones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I recently rebuilt my front wheel hub: cleaned, new bearings, new grease. I've got the wheel back on the bike but find my quick release doesn't tightly secure the wheel on. It's not a "snug" fit either. In fact, mid way through a test ride I found the quick release lever dangling down while I rode. I stopped riding worrying my front wheel could come off.

I know how the actual QR works and it seems like i run out of threaded skewer to tighten the thing anymore before throwing the QR lever. I'm wondering if it's the spacing on my axle. The QR seems to be bending the drops-outs and/or fork in when I try to tighten it. Would throwing some spacers on the axle be the right move? This would stop the dropouts/fork from having any space to bend inward. It's possible I misplaced some washers in the cleaning (was my first time doing it).

Thoughts? Help?

UPDATE: Found my missing spacers at the bottom of my jar of paint thinner, lost in the muck. Lesson learned: Keep better track of parts! QR now secures nicely and I'm not worried about my wheel coming off. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Bustaknot; 11-04-14 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 10:52 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Does the axle extend out beyond the fork tip, so that the qr lever touches the axle instead of the fork ?
That could be the problem. If so, you either forgot some washers, or did not center the axle, so that it's too short on 1 side and too long on the other.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 11-03-14 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 10:54 AM
chewa
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like you might have missed replacing some spacers or locknuts when rebuilding the hub.

Another possibility. Are you sure that you haven't put the rear quick release on the front?

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 11-03-14, 11:00 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
If it bends in the dropouts then there is definitely too little distance between locknuts - the problem is not using a rear skewer. You have left out parts or put in incorrect parts. We need to know if you are using the original cones and if you kept all the spacers/washers and reinstalled them.
Old 11-03-14, 11:05 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5832 Post(s)
Liked 2,662 Times in 1,480 Posts
Something doesn't add up because you mention overhauling the hub, but not replacing any parts except the balls. Since axles don't magically grow or shrink something else is going on that you haven't mentioned.

Start with the obvious. Are the stubs of the axle beyond the locknut roughly 5mm long, or much longer? If longer, then either you didn't use a spacer, or used smaller balls which allowed the cones to move in farther.

Otherwise, please tell us whatever you left out earlier, so we can advise intelligently.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-03-14, 11:07 AM
Bustaknot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The axle is pretty much center and the dropouts are more or less resting on the edges of the axle. I do believe i need some spacers the more I think about this. There's nothing on the other side of the QR that would secure the dropout in place. Nothing to tighten the QR against.

Damn, I must've misplaced them.
Old 11-03-14, 11:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
in addition to getting the length right..

Spring-temper hardening of external star washers will, give more teeth to dig into the metal of the dropout More.

Type seen here.. https://www.theheatxchange.co.uk/images/Regin/Q101.jpg relatively common hardware

the Light weight kind are used in Electrical assemblies ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-03-14 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 11:14 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Maybe you put the springs back in backwards. Doing so will result in the QR jamming before being tight against the fork. Either that or a mistake in reassembly of the hub, as you didn't say anything was wrong before you rebuilt it.
Old 11-03-14, 11:14 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5832 Post(s)
Liked 2,662 Times in 1,480 Posts
Originally Posted by Bustaknot
....There's nothing on the other side of the QR that would secure the dropout in place. Nothing to tighten the QR against.

Damn, I must've misplaced them.
Yes, you seem to be missing the "nut" end of the QR. Back to basics, so I hope you won't be insulted.

QRs don't tighten on the axle, they float in a hollow axle and tighten against themselves, as the lever cam shortens the distance between the two ends (nut and head). (see photo)

Since the axle locknut distance is fixed, shortening the QR inner distance compresses the fork ends against the axle faces on both sides at once.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-03-14 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 11:18 AM
Bustaknot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Something doesn't add up because you mention overhauling the hub, but not replacing any parts except the balls. Since axles don't magically grow or shrink something else is going on that you haven't mentioned.

Start with the obvious. Are the stubs of the axle beyond the locknut roughly 5mm long, or much longer? If longer, then either you didn't use a spacer, or used smaller balls which allowed the cones to move in farther.

Otherwise, please tell us whatever you left out earlier, so we can advise intelligently.
They are longer than 5mm. I goofed and misplaced some spacers somehow (probably sitting at the gunky bottom of a jar full of dirty paint thinner).

Updated: I found spacers in my paint thinner jar hiding in the muck at the bottom, as I suspected. Popped them on my axle and the QR is securing the wheel nicely now. Thanks for the help. I've learned to keep better track of my parts!

Last edited by Bustaknot; 11-04-14 at 08:52 AM.