Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Washing Clothes

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Washing Clothes

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 05:10 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
...If I'm in a motel I put the clothes inside a towel to wring them out, that gets them surprisingly dry....
I've done a lot of wringing, and I've never thought of this. Thanks for the great idea. Now I can leave my salad spinner at home!

I often use body heat to dry a few things if I'm camping. In some conditions (low RH and good ventilation) I might even wear a few damp items to bed. A pair of dry socks in the morning makes everything better. I've also put wet clothing under my sleeping pad and sometimes that small amount of body heat will dry them out.

The few times I stay in motels, they're generally not the type that have hair dryers. You're lucky to have a working light bulb. It's more like Motel 5 1/2 for me.
Old 09-17-14, 06:05 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
If you wear synthetic, quick drying clothes, it is easy to wash your clothes in a sink or shower and dry them overnight.
Old 09-17-14, 07:58 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I am fine with one set of clothes. I wash and dry them when I can, but wearing them for a few days without washing isn't that big of a hardship IMO. Also putting them on damp isn't a big deal either. They often get soaking wet with sweat soon enough any way.

As far as them smelling bad... I find that some synthetic garments are much better than others in that regard and I take ones that are better.
Old 09-17-14, 08:05 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Sometimes you just have to be creative. However, this does not work well with the CF bulbs.

That doesn't look like a normal "campground" so I'm assuming that you are staying in a hotel. Most of them have laundries with dryers. Contrary to popular opinion, bicycle clothes won't melt in a dryer as long as you don't set the dryer to "blast furnace". Lycra even likes the heat as it restores the stretch to the molecule...the heat makes the molecule "wad" up and become stretchier. I've got bicycle clothes that are 15+ years old that have been machine washed and machine dried nearly every week (that's around 800 washings) and they are still going strong.

The light bulb, by the way, is going to be far hotter than any dryer (as long as you don't use "blast furnace")
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-17-14, 09:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Use campground sinks almost every night, or motel sinks if indoors.

I carry a small bottle of soap and a generic type sink drain stopper since most campground sinks do not have a drain plug. Some clothes (undies, socks, jersey) get washed after one day, some things get washed maybe once a week.

Use coin op laundry when convenient.
Old 09-17-14, 10:23 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
[QUOTE=andrewclaus;17137663]I've done a lot of wringing, and I've never thought of this. Thanks for the great idea. Now I can leave my salad spinner at home![QUOTE]

You can also remove a little more moisture from your clothes by placing the towel, with your clothes wrapped in it, on the floor, and stepping on the towel with your bare feet.
Old 09-17-14, 11:29 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I wring my clothes out. If I'm in a motel I put the clothes inside a towel to wring them out, that gets them surprisingly dry.
Yea, a friend of mine who used to tour on the international tennis circuit showed me how to wring the garment out first, then lay a towel on the ground lengthwise, lay the garment out flat on the towel, and then roll the towel up tightly. You then step repeatedly on the rolled up towel, turn it over and step on it again and you'll be amazed at how dry the garment will be when you unroll. Repeat if necessary. Of course this only works in a hotel-like set up where you have access to multiple towels but it is very effective and less chance of damaging the garment due to excessive heat.

Edit: sorry, didn't mean to repeat what was stated above.

Last edited by robow; 09-17-14 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 12:35 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Washing Clothes

I ride in cotton t-shirts (cut off arms) and cotton underwear under nylon running shorts. Clothes line air overnight or just hang over bike. Good to go, no washing.

IMHO, the outdoor clothing industry has duped many people into believing synthetics are waaaay superior to cotton and into paying 10 to 20 times more for a t-shirt! : facepalm:

In extremely cold weather synthetics have many advantages, but otherwise, they just stink.

On rest days I'll shower with clothes on, or wash them in my bear vault.

Last edited by imi; 09-17-14 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 01:13 PM
arfer1

Bikes: 2008 Trek 7500, 1982 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1982 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 Chrome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
We usually use a laundromat ... or the laundry at a campground, hostel, or hotel.

And we carry a bottle of inexpensive shampoo. I use it on my hair, we use it as body wash, we use it to wash dishes, and we do our laundry with it. No point in carrying several different soaps.
I've tried using one cleaning product, but I've had a problem with my dishes smelling like body wash, or my clothes smelling like shampoo.

Last edited by arfer1; 09-17-14 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-17-14, 01:14 PM
mm718

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
I ride in cotton t-shirts (cut off arms) and cotton underwear under nylon running shorts. Clothes line air overnight or just hang over bike. Good to go, no washing.

IMHO, the outdoor clothing industry has duped many people into believing synthetics are waaaay superior to cotton and into paying 10 to 20 times more for a t-shirt! : facepalm:

In extremely cold weather synthetics have many advantages, but otherwise, they just stink.

Thank you for saying this. Cotton is so much more comfortable to me and I've been thinking of trying it on the bike. What are the downsides of a cotton shirt?
Old 09-17-14, 03:25 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Machka
We usually use a laundromat ... or the laundry at a campground, hostel, or hotel.

And we carry a bottle of inexpensive shampoo. I use it on my hair, we use it as body wash, we use it to wash dishes, and we do our laundry with it. No point in carrying several different soaps.
If you have access to a Helmart (and who in the US doesn't) or a Target' or even a supermarket, they sell liquid detergent in the travel/sample section. Most laundromats sell similar products in vending machines. Most shampoos and body washes are too 'sudsy' for machine washers.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-17-14, 08:58 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Also, beware of using shampoo on anodized aluminum bike parts like chainrings. The shampoo has some reaction with the metal and can make a good looking crankset look like crud.
Old 09-17-14, 09:50 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by arfer1
I've tried using one cleaning product, but I've had a problem with my dishes smelling like body wash, or my clothes smelling like shampoo.
Nothing wrong with that. Just pick an inexpensive fruit-scented one and you're set.
Old 09-17-14, 09:54 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by cyccommute
If you have access to a Helmart (and who in the US doesn't) or a Target' or even a supermarket, they sell liquid detergent in the travel/sample section. Most laundromats sell similar products in vending machines. Most shampoos and body washes are too 'sudsy' for machine washers.
We used a cheap mixed-berry shampoo for 3 months in Europe with no problems at all.
Old 09-18-14, 04:19 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by arfer1
Not sure if that smiley means you are kidding or really have found this to be a problem. I found baby shampoo work well for washing hair, body, dishes, and clothing. If it imparts an odor I never noticed.

Edited to correct error that completely reversed my meaning.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-18-14 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-18-14, 06:59 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by imi

Use whatever works for you. I've tried riding your way years ago (like 30) and near found it anything but painfully uncomfortable. I've used wool shorts and jerseys as well as more modern technical fabrics but I wasn't "duped" by the clothing industry. I made a informed decision. There have been a few bicycle clothing items that have been failures...just about any rain jacket I've ever tried...but I if it doesn't work, I don't buy it again and/or return the item that doesn't work.

Yes, I pay more for bicycle clothing but how many t-shirts do you have that have been used and laundered once a week for 15 years that are still in one piece? I don't have regular clothes that last that long much less t-shirts.

I also have a 3 drawers full of bicycle clothes (enough for 7 days per week of riding in all seasons) and none of it "stinks". Bicycle jerseys are made of polyester cloth that has a special weave to it but is very much like any dress shirt or polo shirt which hang in my closet and none of those stink either. 20 years ago there were lots of bicycle clothing...especially winter clothing...that was made of polypropylene and it did develop a rank odor but that may be more a function of the polymer and it's degradation products than of a bacteria.

Old 09-18-14, 07:50 AM
staehpj1

Most shampoos and body washes are too 'sudsy' for machine washers.
I used to think that, but have since used shampoo (usually but not always baby shampoo) in washing machines a number of times and it wasn't a problem. It may have helped that I use it pretty sparingly, but it didn't suds over, rinsed out fine, and the resulting clothes seemed clean and odor free.
Old 09-18-14, 08:21 AM
wheelinthai

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a laundromat or hotel laundry every 3 days or so on a road tour. I carry three sets of clothes and the ones I'm wearing. Some may find that excessive but I have better things to do every night then laundry.
+1 Same here. I also use hotel service or commercial laundry service. Fee charged very reasonable in Thailand. If necessary, I'll do laundry in hotel's bath room, and let clothes dry over night. But I get back ache doing so. I don't dry clothes on bike, while riding. They get road grime all over.

Last edited by wheelinthai; 09-18-14 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-18-14, 08:37 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I use a 3 gallon zip lock bag with some soap. I usually carry 2 sets of riding clothes. Hang on bike at the start of the day to dry while pedaling.
Old 09-18-14, 09:29 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Wow. 44 posts on how to wash clothes. I think I'll just ask my mom.
Old 09-18-14, 11:53 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I used to think that, but have since used shampoo (usually but not always baby shampoo) in washing machines a number of times and it wasn't a problem. It may have helped that I use it pretty sparingly, but it didn't suds over, rinsed out fine, and the resulting clothes seemed clean and odor free.
Over-suds-ing has never been a problem for us. We too use it relatively sparingly in the wash machine ... you don't dump a whole bottle in or anything ... and it seems to work very well.
Old 09-19-14, 12:15 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Use whatever works for you. I've tried riding your way years ago (like 30) and near found it anything but painfully uncomfortable. I've used wool shorts and jerseys as well as more modern technical fabrics but I wasn't "duped" by the clothing industry. I made a informed decision. There have been a few bicycle clothing items that have been failures...just about any rain jacket I've ever tried...but I if it doesn't work, I don't buy it again and/or return the item that doesn't work.

Yes, I pay more for bicycle clothing but how many t-shirts do you have that have been used and laundered once a week for 15 years that are still in one piece? I don't have regular clothes that last that long much less t-shirts.

I also have a 3 drawers full of bicycle clothes (enough for 7 days per week of riding in all seasons) and none of it "stinks". Bicycle jerseys are made of polyester cloth that has a special weave to it but is very much like any dress shirt or polo shirt which hang in my closet and none of those stink either. 20 years ago there were lots of bicycle clothing...especially winter clothing...that was made of polypropylene and it did develop a rank odor but that may be more a function of the polymer and it's degradation products than of a bacteria.
I have to say this is all quite true. I have cotton shirts of various sorts, but my go-to shirts for some years have been man-made fabrics, and I have a heap of cycling jerseys, none of which stink. All my workshirts are polyester, and I work outdoors -- none of them stink.

And if they ever do start to stink, I just use Borax in the wash to kill off any errant bacteria. But I haven't done that in ages.
Old 09-19-14, 12:25 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
Wow. 44 posts on how to wash clothes. I think I'll just ask my mom.
chuckle
you get points for that one.
Old 09-19-14, 01:48 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've got numerous synthetic jerseys, shorts and base gear that I've used for years and none of them stink. I wash them after every use. Although I love the comfort of cotton for street clothes, I find it awful for dealing with heat, high humidity and sweat.
Old 09-19-14, 01:56 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by imi

Originally Posted by mm718
Thank you for saying this. Cotton is so much more comfortable to me and I've been thinking of trying it on the bike. What are the downsides of a cotton shirt?
Whatever works for you. In my younger days, I wore whatever I had, and it worked. These days, either because I'm not in as good of shape or because I live in warmer, more humid climate, I tend to sweat a lot. My cotton shirts soak up that sweat like sponge, and I can be damp for hours after I stop riding. That may not bother everyone, and that's fine. I prefer the feel of cotton to any synthetics, and I often bring a cotton shirt to sleep in, but I don't wear it when I ride unless it's getting nice and cool outside. I never thought I needed special clothes for biking, but once I tried some athletic shirts, I was hooked. I feel dryer, I dry quicker, and the clothes dry quicker on the line.

For cleaning, I usually stay at campgrounds. If there's a shower, I use it. I wash with my clothes on and just run my bar soap over them. Then I take them off and rinse and ring them out. Hang them under the tarp of my tent, and usually they're dry enough to pack in the morning. If not, they ride outside the bag for a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.