Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any Dog Owners Here Do This?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 03:36 PM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Walk/run a dog while riding.

I have a situation developing that may mean I have to exercise a large dog (100 pounder!).

I do have a disability that limits my ability to walk much without severe pain. Cycling over the past 10-12 years hasn't bothered this affliction, so I figured I'd check in here for input.

I certainly have my reservations, but I think it's doable. High risk, but doable.

Old 02-12-18, 03:42 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
It depends on the dog.
Even with a spring mounted arm like that my dog
is too wild. If he scents another male my rear wheel
is suddenly going to go sideways.

I have seen a labrador on one of those and
the lady said she had no problem.
As said,it depends on the dog.

Oh yes,I guess if the male has been neutered it would be easier.
Old 02-12-18, 03:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I've seen at least one dog on the bike paths with a similar apparatus, but I think it was a straight bar that could swing and the leash could come off.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-dog-bicycle-leashes

With the horse, Mom uses a Zap Collar on the dog. It gives him a little more freedom, but still under control. Of course the applicability of that would depend on your riding situation.
Old 02-12-18, 03:55 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
My daughter does this with two huskies, but I don't know if she uses the one pictured in the video. Needs to have a really good breakaway. Dog needs to be trained to use this.
Old 02-12-18, 03:59 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I have taught my dog to run directly beside me with no leash. She has never broken away. One time a large firework went off near us and she bumped into me a little. I am 99.9999% confident she'd never bolt off, but if she did, I would not want to be attached to her. We aren't in an area where they are anal about leash laws. The local K-9 cop always waves when he sees us.
Old 02-12-18, 04:03 PM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
My daughter does this with two huskies, but I don't know if she uses the one pictured in the video. Needs to have a really good breakaway. Dog needs to be trained to use this.
Yes, they need training, and conditioning to go along with you. Seriously consider the effect on the dog's condition which needs to be worked into, especially their feet. Imagine running barefoot on hot cobbly asphalt, the blisters you'd get. Dogs need to work into this gently.
Old 02-12-18, 04:15 PM
North Coast Joe

Originally Posted by jj1091
Yes, they need training, and conditioning to go along with you. Seriously consider the effect on the dog's condition which needs to be worked into, especially their feet. Imagine running barefoot on hot cobbly asphalt, the blisters you'd get. Dogs need to work into this gently.
I thought it may be easier on her feet AND my old bones to start on the turf of a nearby park. I'm not big on hitting pavement in the beginning of such festivities. I have bikes with low enough gearing (and wide enough tires) to roll slowly and easily on grassy surfaces.

Yeah, I'm not planning on miles and miles at the start of this fiasco.
Old 02-12-18, 04:17 PM
North Coast Joe

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have taught my dog to run directly beside me with no leash. She has never broken away. One time a large firework went off near us and she bumped into me a little. I am 99.9999% confident she'd never bolt off, but if she did, I would not want to be attached to her. We aren't in an area where they are anal about leash laws. The local K-9 cop always waves when he sees us.
I'm reluctant to disregard the leash laws here, especially at the parks where I'd like to start.

Hooked up I'd have to rely on the disc brakes in the event of a bolt. The handlebars and pedals dragging through the dirt may slow her some in the event of a sideways bolt
Old 02-12-18, 04:39 PM
trailangel

Originally Posted by jj1091

Yes. She's got some kind of wax or something she puts on the dogs pads when it's hot out. Too hot and she doesn't go out. Dogs pads need to toughen up as well. Husky breed needs a lot of exercise.
Old 02-12-18, 04:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by North Coast Joe
I'm reluctant to disregard the leash laws here, especially at the parks where I'd like to start.

Hooked up I'd have to rely on the disc brakes in the event of a bolt. The handlebars and pedals dragging through the dirt may slow her some in the event of a sideways bolt
It is about training, and I suppose population density.

As Mom points out with her zip collar... it is an "electronic leash"

But, it is worth trying one of those devices too. For a "bolt", the device should disconnect. Just don't train your dog to do that
Old 02-12-18, 11:31 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I tried holding a leash and cycling with my dog. He didn't like it and I ended up dragging him. However, I have seen a few neighbors cycling with their dog, they are usually just holding the leash.
Old 02-13-18, 04:13 AM
Altimis

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Its also depends where you lives.

For example my country have tons of "homeless" dogs roaming the side road/street which my country's government seems not care of them.

I also have dogs, I would like to take them dogs walks but as I mentioned above, my dogs will draw ire those "homeless" dogs and start the fight and may end up injuries.

Let's alone you on the bike while doing dogs walks, your dogs may instantly panic run on it own, you know the rest....
Old 02-13-18, 08:18 AM
northtexasbiker

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dog was never comfortable along side the bike.
Old 02-13-18, 09:46 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I was just thinking of a dog chasing off after a squirrel and dragging the bike after him.
Old 02-13-18, 10:59 AM
northtexasbiker

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I was just thinking of a dog chasing off after a squirrel and dragging the bike after him.

There has to be some kind of breakaway mechanism. One should probably master walking dogs without them darting around before they decide to trick it up with bikes.
Old 02-13-18, 01:09 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
It stinks about the leash laws, but it's one of those things like cops saying they can speed but you can't. Sure, some people can handle their dog. But 90% cannot. All it takes is for one of those people letting their dog run free (without training) to encounter a cyclist to make for a horrid day.

In that sense, the people doing what they should (people with trained dogs) suffer due to people who just do whatever at the risk of others.

I've passed many a dog with a jogger with no leash where that dog is on the person's hip and sits at their hip when people go by. I'd never say anything to that person.

Now.....I have yelled at a person who was letting their off leash dog run all over the place after a ball they were throwing it while I was out riding with my kids. I've got a 5 year old riding without training wheels and is still a bit new at it. Last thing he needs is to have an off leash dog go in front of him.
Old 02-13-18, 09:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I don't own anyone and never will but when I did have a canine family member I didn't take them biking. Sure some dogs might be able to keep up for a bit but unlike humans they cannot just pull out a waterbottle and drink and cannot really communicate if you are going to fast and could be unpredictable. Plus riding on the road is dangerous, riding on those MUPs is dangerous and sidewalks are also a bad way to go.

Maybe if you are an extremely capable bike handler and know enough about dogs and some communication with them and stop to offer them water frequently and ride places where there aren't other people or riders or cars, it might be an OK proposition?
Old 02-13-18, 11:20 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I use one to run my TWCH/English Pointer. I've been using it for a couple of years. Normally I like to run myself and take the dog. But recent hip and knee issues have precluded me from running...but the dog still NEEDS to run. He's a strong dog and I haven't had any issues with him pulling the rear wheel out from under me. Generally, when I'm getting him ready to go on one of these runs he gets ultra-excited. Usually, I don't have to pedal for the fist couple of miles. He runs so fast that I have to ride the brakes.

Word of advice...take a leash along with you in case you want to stop and walk/rest the dog. And, don't forget that the dog needs to hydrate. I plan my routes past streams and ponds so the dog can drink every mile or so.

Dan
Old 02-14-18, 03:51 AM
North Coast Joe

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I use one to run my TWCH/English Pointer. I've been using it for a couple of years. Normally I like to run myself and take the dog. But recent hip and knee issues have precluded me from running...but the dog still NEEDS to run. He's a strong dog and I haven't had any issues with him pulling the rear wheel out from under me. Generally, when I'm getting him ready to go on one of these runs he gets ultra-excited. Usually, I don't have to pedal for the fist couple of miles. He runs so fast that I have to ride the brakes.

Word of advice...take a leash along with you in case you want to stop and walk/rest the dog. And, don't forget that the dog needs to hydrate. I plan my routes past streams and ponds so the dog can drink every mile or so.

Dan
Thanks for the reply, Dan! It's nice to hear real world experience instead of folks conjuring up possible scenarios.

The back up leash is a necessity to get the hound from the house to the car anyway, so it'll go along. A whistle, too, as she's broke to come to that in the event of a break away. Water's always (for her) in the car.

FWIW, she's an American Fox Hound rescued from an actual hunting pack.....she's missing her runs!!

Thanks for the input, we'll give this a shot!
Old 02-14-18, 01:05 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Yes, I have a 30lb Cocker that I often walk using some form of wheels (bicycle, rollerblades, skateboard) - I'm lazy, what can I say.

I won't do it on busy roads, but empty roads, 15mph park roads, MUPs, parking lots, sidewalks, etc. - yes, gives him some decent exercise without getting bored at my walking pace. He is well trained to heel at my side and I just use a retractable dog leash, usually in one hand (other hand on the bars) but also clipped to a belt carabiner and controlling the tape/cord with my hand when necessary (eg, car passing by). I always carry water and a Sea to Summit collapsable cup for his drinking bowl.

We've also done some distance with a backpack - I generally carry him on flats and downhills, but I make him walk for the long uphill sections . Visiting some national parks via campervan:

Old 02-14-18, 02:46 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
Yes, I have a 30lb Cocker that I often walk using some form of wheels (bicycle, rollerblades, skateboard) - I'm lazy, what can I say.

I won't do it on busy roads, but empty roads, 15mph park roads, MUPs, parking lots, sidewalks, etc. - yes, gives him some decent exercise without getting bored at my walking pace. He is well trained to heel at my side and I just use a retractable dog leash, usually in one hand (other hand on the bars) but also clipped to a belt carabiner and controlling the tape/cord with my hand when necessary (eg, car passing by). I always carry water and a Sea to Summit collapsable cup for his drinking bowl.

We've also done some distance with a backpack - I generally carry him on flats and downhills, but I make him walk for the long uphill sections . Visiting some national parks via campervan:

That is so cool.
Old 02-15-18, 06:40 AM
North Coast Joe

Originally Posted by reppans
....... for the long uphill sections
Thanks, that IS cool!

I bought a harness so I'm not connecting her via collar....that, & I'm hoping for some uphill help!
Old 02-15-18, 08:57 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks guys! Awesome day yesterday, hit high 40s - we got out for a ~3 miler at the our local beach/park, w/lots of stopping/sniffing/sunbathing/sight-seeing, of course.

Old 02-15-18, 11:36 AM
Sepharad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Portugal, and no joke, today I saw a bike with 2 similar devices mounted, and for the life of me could not figure out what they were for. Now i know. They did not have a spring. I think the spring is a good addition.
Old 02-15-18, 11:55 AM
trailangel

Oh yeah.... nice.
You need to use a harness and not a collar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.