Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fixed gear cog on a Freewheel Hub

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 10:37 PM
mymorningjacket

Bikes: Norco Threshold, Masi Giramondo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What are your experiences on riding with a fixed cog rather than a singlespeed freewheel on a freewheel rim?

I know there are specific rims with two sets of opposite threads for fixed cogs, but I only have the normal FW hub. I have an old BB lock ring that fits over the hub after the cog. Will this hold?
I'm only using this on a junky vintage frame bike I have so I dont mind if theres a chance of it just stripping the threads on the hub or anything.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-18, 11:14 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by mymorningjacket
What are your experiences on riding with a fixed cog rather than a singlespeed freewheel on a freewheel rim?

I know there are specific rims with two sets of opposite threads for fixed cogs, but I only have the normal FW hub. I have an old BB lock ring that fits over the hub after the cog. Will this hold?
I'm only using this on a junky vintage frame bike I have so I dont mind if theres a chance of it just stripping the threads on the hub or anything.

Thanks.
The opposite threads on fixed-gear hubs are a locking mechanism; when back-pedaling force causes the cog to try and unwind itself, the twist direction just screws the lockring on even tighter. If there's no lockring, the risk is that back-pedal force can unscrew the cog. This isn't a problem with freewheels, because the freewheel prevents the drivetrain from applying significant backwards force on the threaded connection between freewheel and hub.

I highly recommend getting the appropriate hub, or using a freewheel cog. If you insist, I'd recommend taking considerable measures to hold everything in place:
1-Use red locktite on the threads, and tighten the cog down as hard as you can by stomping on the pedals with brakes applied.
2-Use red locktite on the threads, and tighten a bottom bracket lockring as hard as you can against the fixed cog, using it as a jamnut to grab more threads more aggressively.
And definitely keep both brakes installed.
Old 05-07-18, 03:20 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I rode a beater with an inexpensive stamped suicide hub for many years with a fixed cog installed. I did use red Loktite, but didn't bother with a secondary nut.

The only time the fixed cog ever loosened was a day when I deliberately, actively worked on skids. Track standing or braking by back pressure on the pedals had no ill affect on the installation. Keep both brakes installed and you'll be fine unless you're bent on destroyimg a rear tire.
Old 05-07-18, 07:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Put a single speed freewheel on it?
Old 05-07-18, 10:28 AM
joe3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Multi Speed

I was 25 miles into a 30 mile ride this weekend. The free wheel locked up. It was like riding a multispeed fixie for the last 5 miles of the ride. I didn't really care for the experience. When I got home I was able remove the cassette without using the chain whip tool. Not sure what broke but it is possible to lock a hub!
Old 05-07-18, 10:59 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Mechanical issues aside, riding fixed gear is a completely different experience from riding a bike with a freewheel.
Old 05-07-18, 12:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Get a proper hub, DO NOT USE LOCTITE or other jenky methods. Do it right, ALWAYS DO IT RIGHT! If you really want to ride fixed there are many many many different fixed gear hub options. It is a lot of fun but not worth doing improperly and certainly there is nothing wrong with using a freewheel.
Old 05-07-18, 12:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
I started my fix gear riding on a geared hub and a BB lockring. Now, in those days, nobody did skip stops. Trashing tubulars gets expensive fast! Never had a issue (except first ride. I forgot, tried to coast and got rocketed into the air by the upcoming pedal. Landed unceremoniously on the road from 20 mph; little speed at impact so no road rash, just bruises and a ripped up internally left leg. That hurt! The lock ring did it's job.

If the lockring did unscrew, it probably wouldn't be a big deal except the rear wheel wouldn't stop you (you are planning a front brake aren't you?) Probably some scratched paint on the chainstay. Maybe some chain damage but probably not. Most likely just a required stop, pull out the wrench, spin the cog back on, remount the wheel, dial in the chain slack and go. When you get home, tighten up the lockring with the spanner. Put getting a real track-hubbed wheel a little higher on the list.

I see the 'never ride a fix gear without a proper track hub" said like the world might end if you don't. Highly unlikely unless you insist on skip-stops. Use decent brakes and the FW hub with a BB lockring should work just fine. I won't ever again but that is because fix gear hubs are now easy to get, I love building wheels, track hub with their wide flange spacing make such good ones and I have had a lifetime's worth of "incidents". But if I were 22 again and wanted to try fix gear and had a FW wheel on hand, I'd do it again in a flash. (That my first ride ended as it did was proof enough that the BB lockring can work rather well!)

Ben
Old 05-09-18, 09:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
For actual track use white industries machines hubs and cogs with a spline connection,
making gearing changes on race day easier ..
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/53cd4a66e4b0216897ed1b86/5400cf4de4b0e0b08ee202db/5400cf4de4b0b9d085ed7a35/1409339220682/TRACK+SIL.jpg?format=500w

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/53cd4a66e4b0216897ed1b86/53ecf3a1e4b03c7a36fcfa08/53ecf3a1e4b0c8071af12e10/1408037827203/FIXED+COGS+WHITE.jpg?format=500w
Old 05-09-18, 06:16 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12767 Post(s)
Liked 7,679 Times in 4,075 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I see the 'never ride a fix gear without a proper track hub" said like the world might end if you don't. Highly unlikely unless you insist on skip-stops. Use decent brakes and the FW hub with a BB lockring should work just fine. I won't ever again but that is because fix gear hubs are now easy to get, I love building wheels, track hub with their wide flange spacing make such good ones and I have had a lifetime's worth of "incidents". But if I were 22 again and wanted to try fix gear and had a FW wheel on hand, I'd do it again in a flash. (That my first ride ended as it did was proof enough that the BB lockring can work rather well!)

Ben
Yeah, I could probably get away with BB lockring on FW hub myself. No skip stops, skidding or even much backpedaling (my knees don't care for it.)