Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-18, 06:41 PM
M_Wales
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Bikes: Shopping

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Lights

I'm looking for head and rear lights that are rechargeable. Its for my city/urban bike and I have a handlebar bag mounted and have been thinking about a fork mount for the front.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
Old 09-09-18, 01:31 AM
deck99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cygolite Metro headlight and the Cygolite hotshot tail light. I have had mine for 4 years now and still work like new.
Old 09-09-18, 02:18 AM
M_Wales
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deck99
Cygolite Metro headlight and the Cygolite hotshot tail light. I have had mine for 4 years now and still work like new.

ty
Old 09-09-18, 06:46 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Check our lighting forum.

https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...hting-gadgets/

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-09-18 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-09-18, 06:51 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I use a Convoy S2 which is brilliant, have a Lipo charger and a couple of extra batteries which I personally prefer to a torch with the light built into it as if you forget to charge you're not caught without a light... I also use one of these
SC600w Mk IV HI 18650 XHP35 Neutral White High Intensity Flashlight
although there really is little difference between the two.

I have a Cateye Rapid 3 as my rear although I'm not sure they still make them

If you have any interest in either of those and want advice on decent batteries / charger and the mount I use let me know
Old 09-09-18, 09:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by M_Wales
I'm looking for head and rear lights that are rechargeable. Its for my city/urban bike and I have a handlebar bag mounted and have been thinking about a fork mount for the front.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
@ fork crown? (USB) https://www.bumm.de/en/products/akku...odukt/163.html

Peter white cycles , US retail +shipping, or wholesale to shops, who open an account.

Or import direct from Europe shops..

tail light? mounted where/how..?

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-09-18 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-09-18, 12:17 PM
M_Wales
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for all the posts and info... I did purchase a set of these, but payed $13.99. I'm going to try them out first and if they do the job buy another set for my wife's bike, but if not I'll give her these and keep looking...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Akale-Recha....c100012.m1985
Old 09-09-18, 03:38 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
If by "do the job" you mean "they'll turn on" then they will probably do the job. At least a few times they'll probably do.
If you expect them to actually be useful as in "lighting the road in front of you at night" or "making you more visible to drivers" then... well, these lights will not cut it.
It all depends on your expectations, you know...
Old 09-09-18, 04:20 PM
backonblack

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar
If by "do the job" you mean "they'll turn on" then they will probably do the job. At least a few times they'll probably do.
If you expect them to actually be useful as in "lighting the road in front of you at night" or "making you more visible to drivers" then... well, these lights will not cut it.
It all depends on your expectations, you know...
I just bought two LED headlights , 300 lumens each. Do I really need 600 lumens? Yes, yes I do.
Old 09-09-18, 04:24 PM
backonblack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all the posts and info... I did purchase a set of these, but payed $13.99. I'm going to try them out first and if they do the job buy another set for my wife's bike, but if not I'll give her these and keep looking...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Akale-Recha....c100012.m1985
You'll give the wife the inferior lights and locate a better set for you, what a great guy
Old 09-09-18, 04:46 PM
M_Wales
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by backonblack
You'll give the wife the inferior lights and locate a better set for you, what a great guy
She does not ride that much and only with me so yes....
Old 09-10-18, 01:47 AM
Witterings

She does not ride that much and only with me so yes....
Do you make her walk behind you ... unless you're in areas know to have mines in which case she walks in front
Old 09-10-18, 02:25 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I've got 2 x Cateye Rapd X2 on the back which I'm very pleased with. Less happy about the front light which is a NiteRider Lumina Micro 750. The light is good but I'm not getting anywhere remotely close to the claimed battery life of 9 hours on the lowest setting (no more than 4 in my experience) and 1.5 on high mode. I get about 1.5 in medium mode with a final 10 minute blast at high.
Old 09-10-18, 07:16 AM
M_Wales
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
Do you make her walk behind you ... unless you're in areas know to have mines in which case she walks in front
lol...been married 36 years and not to that point yet...
Old 09-10-18, 08:28 AM
backonblack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big square lights that stand out like sore thumbs and yell look I'm a light are dorky and kinda' ugly. Sorry but its just my opinion. I try to make lighting a little more inconspicuous. Something like this https://www.canadabicycleparts.com/l...light-set-3776 However the snap in mount doesn't appear to be very reliable like the light could potentially come un-snapped riding along on bumpy terrain. I wound up cancelling my previous transaction, I am seeking more lights atm. I really like the look of these, only I much prefer black to match my bikes colours. https://fabric.cc/products/lights/lu...n-front-light/
Old 09-10-18, 08:42 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by backonblack
I just bought two LED headlights , 300 lumens each. Do I really need 600 lumens? Yes, yes I do.
I'm curious. Is 2 x 300 the same/better/worse than 1 x 600? I don't know how lumens are measured so a part of me thinks that 1 good light should be better than 2 less good ones and the other part thinks that's illogical. I've tended to go with the 1 good one.
Old 09-10-18, 09:41 AM
backonblack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
I'm curious. Is 2 x 300 the same/better/worse than 1 x 600? I don't know how lumens are measured so a part of me thinks that 1 good light should be better than 2 less good ones and the other part thinks that's illogical. I've tended to go with the 1 good one.
In the way of overall light lumen power dual 300's should be equal to a single 600. I prefer using two mostly for the versatility. With two I can beam one light slightly further ahead while the other is closer to my immediate area, or set both an equal distance. Or aim each of the light beams slightly outwards to get a wider field of view, and so on. Two mounted on the underside of the bars look better also ( as always in my personal opinion).

Last edited by backonblack; 09-10-18 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-10-18, 10:06 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
check out cree headlights
Old 09-10-18, 11:36 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

Any suggestions?

Thank you
Three key areas important to lighting*; brightness, rechargeability, and sturdiness of the mount.

Buy a light bright enough to either light up the roadway in front of you, or at least make yourself visible to other (auto) traffic. Best is a light that does both.

Buy a light that you can recharge for a very long time (high number of charging cycles) and also has a reasonably priced replacement battery. Usually the replacement battery costs nearly as much as the light itself and that's IF a replacement is even available. Lights requiring disposable batteries are always a loser in the long run.

Buy a light that comes with a good, reliable, sturdy mount. Too many lights are equipped with nothing more than a glorified rubber band as a mount. A solid mount that requires real tools to install is usually a good bet.

-Kedosto
* Get your wife that same setup. She's stuck with you for this long... she probably deserves it.
Old 09-10-18, 11:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A see by in the dark, unlit roads, is a different need than a be seen light.. on streets with street lights..

a light with rechargeable AA , you can bring spate charged batteries..

Integrated USB charged batteries you need a second light..

but work at a computer,? you can recharge the battery on the job..

... now there are wall sockets with USB and Mains power, in the same outlet...
Old 09-11-18, 01:15 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by fietsbob
A see by in the dark, unlit roads, is a different need than a be seen light.. on streets with street lights..
My own personal opinion I'd still go with the full on light, there's a lady that cycles past the end of our road on a regular basis with a "be seen light" and one day when I went to pull out she was just at the wrong angle and maybe at that dusk time of day when a "be seen light" gets lost with the last of the days light and I almost didn't see her .... I stopped just at the last second but it made me realise how vulnerable we are to the surrounding conditions.

If she had of had a more powerful light I'm sure I would have seen her much earlier and not started to go in the 1st place.
Old 09-11-18, 07:08 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use these to be seen
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this to see if I am riding at night
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-11-18, 07:51 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I've got a wide range from $7 blinkie sets to 1200 lumen headlights.

For actual commuting anywhere that isn't lit by streetlights, my 350 or 450 lumen NightRider is a good price/performance sweet spot. The 1200 lumen isn't really any brighter, it just lights up a lot more, not really all that necessary on a road. As others have mentioned, the Cygolite Hotshot is a great rear choice, especially if you want to run it during the day.

And since no one has done it yet, obligatory lights on bike in front of a wall pic, with the Cygolite on the back:
Old 09-15-18, 09:10 PM
dylandewandel

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Trace Comp (Modified)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used front and rear lights from Magnus Innovations, they're quality. I definitely prefer my light in front to be in detachable flashlight form; multipurpose so I can remove it and go searching in the forests at night when I hear animals or have to piddle.
Old 09-15-18, 09:35 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Magnus Innovations lights are probably reasonably good for their price (cheap!) but you get exactly what you paid for.

I had front and back light from them. Still have the front one. Back light was not very bright, can't say much else about this light as I lost it on the first ride. Front light is just a regular Chinese flashlight with 18650 battery with typical flashlight spot lighting pattern. On its high setting light lasts about 30 seconds, one minute on a good day, then automatically reduces brightness and starts blinking that it is discharged but still continues working fine on medium brightness for at least half an hour, usually more. Unless it is cold outside - in winter charge lasts about 15-20 minutes. After a few rides button that turns the light on felt off and PCB behind it became visible. Now I need to press switch on the PCB directly to turn the light on or off. If it rains, water gets on the PCB and light turns on automatically by itself - and stays turned on until all water dries out, battery discharges or gets removed - it is not possible to turn it off by the switch while it is wet. Already survived a dozen of heavy rains. Seems to be built like a tank, you can probably use it for self defense successfully.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.