Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding side by side on a bike path

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 02:16 PM
pillows_

Bikes: 1984 Gitane Criterium, 2016 Fuji Cross 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Every so often I'll ride past a couple guys, or girls, riding 18-20+ mph side by side on a bike path with oncoming traffic coming right for them. Im pretty comfortable on my bike, but I can imagine some newer or more elderly riders getting nervous in a situation like this trying to squeeze all 3 riders in. Just today I had two guys with the full kit on, going 15-20mph coming right at me (going about the same speed) and didnt bother to go single file or at least squeeze together until they were just 50 feet in front of me. TBH it pisses me off. Is it that much of an inconvenience for one rider to fall back and go single file for 10 seconds, or am I just the nicest guy on the planet for wanting to make my fellow riders to be as comfortable as possible?
Old 08-31-18, 02:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by pillows_
Every so often I'll ride past a couple guys, or girls, riding 18-20+ mph side by side on a bike path with oncoming traffic coming right for them. Im pretty comfortable on my bike, but I can imagine some newer or more elderly riders getting nervous in a situation like this trying to squeeze all 3 riders in. Just today I had two guys with the full kit on, going 15-20mph coming right at me (going about the same speed) and didnt bother to go single file or at least squeeze together until they were just 50 feet in front of me. TBH it pisses me off. Is it that much of an inconvenience for one rider to fall back and go single file for 10 seconds, or am I just the nicest guy on the planet for wanting to make my fellow riders to be as comfortable as possible?

I've been known to yell "get out of my lane" at such people. I don't mind if they've squeezed, but if they're forcing me to the margins of the path, I am really mad and going to play chicken with the misplaced moron.
Old 08-31-18, 02:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I had two guys with the full kit on, going 15-20mph coming right at me (going about the same speed) and didnt bother to go single file or at least squeeze together until they were just 50 feet in front of me.
so ... they went single file plenty of distance ahead of you .... and you are pissed at them anyway ... because you are such a nice guy?

Sometimes the nicest thing you can do for yourself and others is not to get pissed off when you have the option.

Trust me, it works ... I did it once.
Old 08-31-18, 02:33 PM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't have a problem of people riding side by side as long as they can squeeze in their lane. It is just plain disrespectful to encroach into the other lane unless you are passing.
Old 08-31-18, 02:35 PM
pillows_

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
so ... they went single file plenty of distance ahead of you .... and you are pissed at them anyway ... because you are such a nice guy?

Sometimes the nicest thing you can do for yourself and others is not to get pissed off when you have the option.

Trust me, it works ... I did it once.

They did not go single file.

Plenty of distance? 30-40mph of combined speed. Lets say its 30mph. It only takes 4-5 seconds to travel 200 feet. Why wait until the very last second to squeeze together when they see me coming from over a quarter mile away?

Last edited by pillows_; 08-31-18 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-31-18, 02:37 PM
pillows_

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brofessor
I don't have a problem of people riding side by side as long as they can squeeze in their lane. It is just plain disrespectful to encroach into the other lane unless you are passing.

This is exactly what happened today. Taking up the entire path until the last second

Wind, animals, that black crack sealant that gets mushy when its hot, bike paths with sloped edges. All hazards when you're taking up more than your share of the path
Old 08-31-18, 02:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Wifey & I will do it if no one is in sight. as soon as we see other ppl we got single file. but mostly, we ride single file regardless, it's just easier
Old 08-31-18, 03:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
How wide is this bike path?
Old 08-31-18, 03:03 PM
pillows_

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Im not even a big fan of squeezing together. I always drop back and go single file. If you want to do it, thats fine, I have plenty of experience and feel comfortable on my bike, but some people may not be. IMO, the risk/reward just isn't there. Sloped edges and mushy crack sealant can be quite a hassle to deal with sometimes. Is the conversation that important that it can't wait 10 seconds? 99.99% of people are hobby riders getting paid 0 dollars to stay in shape. Don't pretend like you're Lance Armstrong because you have a $5,000 bike and the full kit lol. Every second of your workout doesn't override other peoples safety

Last edited by pillows_; 08-31-18 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-31-18, 03:03 PM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is exactly what happened today. Taking up the entire path until the last second

Wind, animals, that black crack sealant that gets mushy when its hot, bike paths with sloped edges. All hazards when you're taking up more than your share of the path
It can be frustrating, but look at the bright side: You didn't crash. I was in a worse scenario last weekend. It rained the night before and the paths were covered with wet leaves. A friend of mine and I took off in a segment and separated from the group. In a stretch where we were doing 25 mph, we turned a corner and this family was covering the entire path, cycling in the other direction. This 5-6 year old kid was on our side of the path. I skid my rear wheel and could barely stop before getting on wet grass. That kid might have gotten seriously injured if one of us hit her. Totally irresponsible to let your kid ride on the wrong side of the path. I was ready to hug the bush on the side of road if things went bad. It just happens, gotta be careful out there.
Old 08-31-18, 03:05 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
#FirstWorldProblems
Old 08-31-18, 03:05 PM
pillows_

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
How wide is this bike path?
about 5-6 feet. Just enough for a pick up truck/utility vehicle
Old 08-31-18, 03:14 PM
pillows_

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To be clear, this is a very small number of people compared to all the riders I see during my route. Almost everyone else is very nice and accommodating.

I guess my main point is, I dont think its worth it to squeeze together when riding on a fairly narrow bike path, for the reasons I mentioned
Old 08-31-18, 04:00 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
To be clear, this is a very small number of people compared to all the riders I see during my route. Almost everyone else is very nice and accommodating.

I guess my main point is, I dont think its worth it to squeeze together when riding on a fairly narrow bike path, for the reasons I mentioned
Then don't do it.

Or, get a gravel bike. Then when you see them coming hit the dirt and kick up a cloud of dust just for them...

passive aggressiveness is the gift of life.
Old 08-31-18, 04:03 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Its a multi use path open to the public. You deal with the public on it, both the wonderful and the asshats. Its part of life.

Occasionally Ill play chicken with folks just to prove a point, but the other 99% of time I deal with it.
Old 08-31-18, 04:22 PM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It can be frustrating, but look at the bright side: You didn't crash. I was in a worse scenario last weekend. It rained the night before and the paths were covered with wet leaves. A friend of mine and I took off in a segment and separated from the group. In a stretch where we were doing 25 mph, we turned a corner and this family was covering the entire path, cycling in the other direction. This 5-6 year old kid was on our side of the path. I skid my rear wheel and could barely stop before getting on wet grass. That kid might have gotten seriously injured if one of us hit her. Totally irresponsible to let your kid ride on the wrong side of the path. I was ready to hug the bush on the side of road if things went bad. It just happens, gotta be careful out there.

Segment? Is this a strava thing? You were chasing a strava record, going 25mph on a path, turning a blind corner, and it was the kid/parent being irresponsible? ....I don't think so. If the kid, or you, got hurt, that would totally have been on you for racing irresponsiblly on a MUP.
Old 08-31-18, 04:23 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I had two guys with the full kit on
What does what they are wearing have to do with anything?

-Tim-
Old 08-31-18, 04:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
In a stretch where we were doing 25 mph, we turned a corner and this family was covering the entire path, cycling in the other direction. Totally irresponsible to let your kid ride on the wrong side of the path. I was ready to hug the bush on the side of road if things went bad. It just happens, gotta be careful out there.
Totally irresponsible to be doing 25 mph on an MUP around a blind corner, on wet pavement, did you say?
Old 08-31-18, 04:37 PM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chicagogal
Segment? Is this a strava thing? You were chasing a strava record, going 25mph on a path, turning a blind corner, and it was the kid/parent being irresponsible? ....I don't think so. If the kid, or you, got hurt, that would totally have been on you for racing irresponsiblly on a MUP.
No, it wasn't a Strava segment. No, it wasn't a blind corner, we saw the adults on the other side of the path, not the small kid because she was on our side of the path. Even if it was a blind corner, we were riding on OUR side of the road. No, it wasn't a racing situation at all, we were simply going fast to get our workout. And last time I checked, there aren't any speed limits for non-motorized vehicles in IL.
If anyone got hurt, we wouldn't be responsible for anything, except the medical bills for our broken bones.
I think you assumed I was "segment hunting" and immediately put the blame on me. You got some strong preconceptions there.
Old 08-31-18, 04:50 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
So, what constitutes "full kit"? Do you need the socks, gloves, and maybe shoe covers? I need to know as it might change how I respond to OP.

scott s.
Old 08-31-18, 05:20 PM
pillows_

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott967
So, what constitutes "full kit"? Do you need the socks, gloves, and maybe shoe covers? I need to know as it might change how I respond to OP.

scott s.
Originally Posted by TimothyH
What does what they are wearing have to do with anything?

-Tim-
Jersey, spandex, shoes/socks, gloves, helmet, shades, flashy bike

I brought that up because when I see people dressed like that not giving others enough space when passing, I get the impression they feel entitled to more room because they are a more serious rider and their workout is paramount
Old 08-31-18, 05:26 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
This might fit better in 50+.

Lots of threads about Grumpy Old Men, yelling at clouds, cursing the dirt, full kit cyclists, what-if this / what-if that, somebody’s gonna get hit/hurt/pissed-off.

Granny had an expression = better pissed off, than pissed on.

We are all dealing with the vast public. Some are reckless with their bikes, some don’t control the dog on a leash, some let kids romp where they shouldn’t. It’s life.

edit: on busier bikeways around here, 2 abreast (and chatting away - another annoyance) is the norm when there is only 1 oncoming cyclist. Don’t move to a larger cycling city, a person might stay permanently negative on cyclist’s behavior.

I drive a 2 lane Hwys where cars go 55mph, if someone screws up that’s 110 relative speed for a big crash. Life is risky.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-31-18 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-31-18, 05:38 PM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I brought that up because when I see people dressed like that not giving others enough space when passing, I get the impression they feel entitled to more room because they are a more serious rider and their workout is paramount
Strange. The majority of my rides are on a MUP, and every single kitted-up group that comes towards me is riding single-file, and always holler "Rider UP" as they approach from in front, and always hollers "On your LEFT" as they come from behind. I've never found group riders to show anything other than respect to other cyclists. The only instances I've had of other riders "dressed like that" not going to single-file when coming towards me is when it's only two riders, non-club riders by their non-matching kits, never groups of three or more, and it bothers me none at all. I see them, they see me. We nod at each other and ride on. In over 5 years of MUP riding, I've only had one instance of combative behavior by another cyclist.

I'm guessing your feeling about "people dressed like that" has nothing to do with those "dressed like that not giving others enough space when passing".
Old 08-31-18, 05:59 PM
pillows_

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jj1091
Strange. The majority of my rides are on a MUP, and every single kitted-up group that comes towards me is riding single-file, and always holler "Rider UP" as they approach from in front, and always hollers "On your LEFT" as they come from behind. I've never found group riders to show anything other than respect to other cyclists. The only instances I've had of other riders "dressed like that" not going to single-file when coming towards me is when it's only two riders, non-club riders by their non-matching kits, never groups of three or more, and it bothers me none at all. I see them, they see me. We nod at each other and ride on. In over 5 years of MUP riding, I've only had one instance of combative behavior by another cyclist.

I'm guessing your feeling about "people dressed like that" has nothing to do with those "dressed like that not giving others enough space when passing".
Same here, and thats what happened today. I was biking through the richest county in my state with a lot of nice neighborhoods nearby. Just a couple dudes who think they're more important than others, it seemed. Im not one of those guys that thinks kitted up riders look snobby or anything. I think its practical and looks nice. I'd wear more of that stuff if I did more than commuting and light adventuring.

But anyway, Im over it. I was annoyed for about 30 seconds and got re-annoyed reliving the moment while writing this thread. Just wanted to share my feelings about riding side by side on a somewhat narrow path.

Take care and be safe. Health is wealth
Old 08-31-18, 08:21 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Thanks for clarifying what this whole thing is about.

You have no idea what they feel or what they are thinking.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-31-18 at 08:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.