Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Kool Stop tire bead jack

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Kool Stop tire bead jack

Old 05-05-19, 12:22 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I just use rim/tire combinations that don’t require tools. /shrug
There needs to be a list of those combinations to save us the trouble of a misguided purchase. Otherwise, it's just trial and error.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 05-05-19, 12:28 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I have found wire bead tires are generally much easier to mount, never had one of those I couldn't mount by hand with a little baby powder.

Folding tires just give me more problems, especially those Panaracers in 28 mm.
Old 05-05-19, 12:35 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
There needs to be a list of those combinations to save us the trouble of a misguided purchase. Otherwise, it's just trial and error.
That's not a bad idea. A good tire/rim registry, including the rim tape used. Of course, it would need constant updating, but that's the nature of these things.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-05-19, 12:51 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I don't get a lot of flats, either. Long may our luck hold!
Sorry, I just thought it was kind of an odd thing to say. Usually you don't know that a tire is going to be a PITA to mount until you discover it the hard way, which means after you purchased it.

In my case, it was 28mm Vitoria Corsa G+ tires and H+ and Sons rims. Neither of these, alone, should be a cause for concern, but I cannot mount that tire on that rim with anything short of a tire jack. I won't be buying them again, but I'd still like to get my $80 worth out of those tires.

I don't have much experience with tubeless, but I do get the sense that most tubeless tires can be a real struggle.
Old 05-05-19, 01:17 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I'm reminded of the old "Grab-On" foam rubber handlebar padding that everyone used to use in the late 70's. I used to use shaving cream to slide that stuff on my bars, the new tires are pretty much the same way, you'll need some help, preferably something that will dry out soon and not leave a residue.
It may be of interest that for installing golf grips on steel club shafts, you use mineral spirits.

Originally Posted by wgscott
I don't have much experience with tubeless, but I do get the sense that most tubeless tires can be a real struggle.
Getting the tires mounted can be tough because of the tight fit. But I've also had problems getting the things to seat even with compressor air. And my experience with sealants is disappointing. Stan's seals ok but the rubber particles settled in my bottle. Bontrager has been less effective at sealing, and has some particles that settle out too fast when you first add the sealant. I'll get something figured out at some point, but it's kind of a PITA.

I have found that the hypodermic syringe with tube extensions are very convenient in avoiding a messy disaster. Also, putting the tires on with soapy water, and seating BEFORE you install sealant. Once they're seated, depressurize, remove the presta core and add the sealant. Then reinstall the core and repressurize. At least that's my paradigm. Trying to seat tires with a full sealant complement is just begging for your walls to look like Jackson Pollock had at them.

The hypodermic arrangement I got off Amazon:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....aL._SX679_.jpg

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 05-05-19 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-05-19, 01:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Sorry, I just thought it was kind of an odd thing to say. Usually you don't know that a tire is going to be a PITA to mount until you discover it the hard way, which means after you purchased it.

In my case, it was 28mm Vitoria Corsa G+ tires and H+ and Sons rims. Neither of these, alone, should be a cause for concern, but I cannot mount that tire on that rim with anything short of a tire jack. I won't be buying them again, but I'd still like to get my $80 worth out of those tires.

Some unacknowledged luck went into my first post. In most of my dealings with bike tires, I've been fortunate that they ended up being mountable by hand, albeit with a struggle sometimes. Nokian/Suomi snow tires have been the worst so far, tight-fitting wire bead and a very thick inflexible casing makes them a beast to work with -- thank goodness I'm using them on single-walled rims that give extra room to get them on and off. The thick rubber helps prevent flats, so thankfully it all works out.

Sometimes you need to be flexible yourself. I cringe when I see people on the C&V forum talk about how hard it is to get tires on and off their new rims, only to find out that they've been using Velox rim tape on tubeless-ready rims and refuse to switch to something sensible.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-05-19, 01:35 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Sometimes you need to be flexible yourself. I cringe when I see people on the C&V forum talk about how hard it is to get tires on and off their new rims, only to find out that they've been using Velox rim tape on tubeless-ready rims and refuse to switch to something sensible.
I'd have to take the tire off to check (so no chance, short of a flat), but I think there is an excellent chance I did exactly that (for no reason other than ignorance).

OTOH, my 28mm Clement Strada tires went on and off with no drama.
Old 05-05-19, 01:43 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
It may be of interest that for installing golf grips on steel club shafts, you use mineral spirits.

Getting the tires mounted can be tough because of the tight fit. But I've also had problems getting the things to seat even with compressor air. And my experience with sealants is disappointing. Stan's seals ok but the rubber particles settled in my bottle. Bontrager has been less effective at sealing, and has some particles that settle out too fast. I'll get something figured out at some point, but it's kind of a PITA.
Try Orange Seal.
Old 05-05-19, 01:51 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Try Orange Seal.
I've heard good things, and so this is my next step, but I have a 32 oz bottle of Bontrager TLR and at 1.5-2 oz per refill, even with two bikes that are tubeless, that's a couple of years before I need another bottle.

Then again, with my 32oz bottle of Stan's, the rubber had settled like a wad of chewing gum on the bottom of the bottle after about a year. So, we'll see.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 05-05-19 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-05-19, 02:43 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
That's not a bad idea. A good tire/rim registry, including the rim tape used. Of course, it would need constant updating, but that's the nature of these things.
I'm not sure that's even practical. I've had one make and model tire be easy to install on my rim and another "identical" tire on the same rim be very difficult. Bike tires aren't precision devices.
Old 05-05-19, 03:02 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by HillRider
I'm not sure that's even practical. I've had one make and model tire be easy to install on my rim and another "identical" tire on the same rim be very difficult. Bike tires aren't precision devices.
True, seems like everything with bikes comes with caveats. Still, I think a registry of people’s experiences could be helpful. If a particular rim and tire combination were noted to be “impossible” by several people I’d be happy to know that before buying.
Old 05-05-19, 03:50 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
With the newer Panaracer folding tires (Pasela, Gravel King) the rubber is very tacky around the bead, which makes them difficult to slide over the rim lip when the tires are new. It's not that the tires are too small, they're just really difficult to slide onto the rim.

For 50 years I had gotten by with using baby power to mount new tires, but with these new Panaracer tires, I've had to start using liquids to overcome the tacky beads. I used olive oil on one set of tires, and soapy water (probably a better option) on the second set. Someone mentioned using the soapy fluid that's sold for blowing bubbles.

I'm reminded of the old "Grab-On" foam rubber handlebar padding that everyone used to use in the late 70's. I used to use shaving cream to slide that stuff on my bars, the new tires are pretty much the same way, you'll need some help, preferably something that will dry out soon and not leave a residue.
Reminds me of my motorcycle days and mounting my own tires. Lay the tires in the sun to warm, baby powder on the lightly inflated tubes (if a spoked wheel), and dish washing liquid on the beads. I still have my steel tire irons, which required plastic rim protectors of which I seemed to have lost.

Not much worse than airing up a tire you fought to mount and hear the hiss of a pinched tube.
Old 05-05-19, 04:49 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I had one to install Marathon tires. I will no longer buy them and gave mine to a friend with MS who needs all the help she can get. I have a VAR tool that takes care of any tires I now use.
Old 05-05-19, 05:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, that Kool Stop bead jack is fantastic. Any good bead jack is a plus for folks with arthritis or chronic hand injuries. Makes all the difference, especially in cold, wet conditions.

I carry it in my jersey pocket on the road bikes or handlebar bag on the hybrid for myself and other folks in group rides. Haven't even bothered to shorten the handle.

While it'd be nice to avoid combos of rims and tires that are too tight, it isn't always practical. I like my Schwalbe Ones and Conti Ultra Sport 2's, and they fit tight on every rim I've tried -- Araya, Wolber, Alex. I'm not gonna give up good tires over a snug fit.

There's a similar but simplified bead jack that for now has only been available in the UK market, but could be mail ordered. Costs a little less. It lacks the articulating doodad on the Kool Stop, but users report it works well. It's flatter too.
Old 05-05-19, 05:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
28mm Vitoria Corsa G+ tires and H+ and Sons rims.
I've mounted the same tire on H+ Son Archetype using regular tire levers many times without a problem.

-Tim-
Old 05-05-19, 08:41 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I just use rim/tire combinations that don’t require tools. /shrug
With the arthritis in my thumbs there's no such thing.
Likes For Ronsonic:
Old 05-05-19, 09:01 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts

Guilty as charged, that's a mistake made years ago andI will only make once.
Old 05-07-19, 05:29 PM
lvolpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I opted for the Crank Brothers Speedier Lever as I figured it would fit in my pocket a bit better. Hopefully I made the right decision.

I had used these and did not find them of much help. Go with the Kool Stop or Var. I have them both and have found them very useful for those tight fits.