Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New 2019 Motobecane Whipshot Ti from bikes direct.

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New 2019 Motobecane Whipshot Ti from bikes direct.

Old 12-29-18, 10:12 PM
fronesis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by danthemanohhyea
Thanks.
I've got a set of roadracer mk3 fenders and they're just not sturdy enough for my riding.

Seems almost like you'd want the "city" fenders though, no? Being able to go up to a 35 for winter riding would be ideal.
The city fenders are 45mm wide. I Would be very surprised if they fit - the total clearance is only about 40-42mm at the tightest spots on the bike.

The bike will run up to 40mm tires without fenders, but with fenders I think 30mm is the biggest you’ll get. The platform for the whipshot is cx, not gravel. If you want to run fenders with 35mm tires you’ll want a full on gravel bike.
Old 12-31-18, 03:57 PM
criswell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at picking up a Whipshot...what are the biggest tires that you guys have put on? Anyone using the 40c WTB Nanos or something similar?
Old 01-06-19, 06:51 PM
Bicycho415

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by criswell
Looking at picking up a Whipshot...what are the biggest tires that you guys have put on? Anyone using the 40c WTB Nanos or something similar?
I put the compass Barlow pass 38cc on it and it has become a dream of a ride. If you haven't rolled with compass yet. I highly recommend them. Smooth and compliant. And fast. That being said. With the Barlow pass 38cc, which are true to size because i measured with a caliper. The frame and fork could fit a 42cc at most. Being true to size for the tire inflated that is. The tires that come with the bike, the challenge tires say 33cc but actually measure to be 35 with a caliper. So whatever tire you choose in a 42 should be true to size. I wouldn't worry about 38cc or 40cc. But 42 better be true to size. Buy the bike you will not regret it.
Old 03-27-19, 10:06 AM
Anger67

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fronesis

Hole for fender is on the rear of the fork. I needed a slightly longer hanger for the front fender.

Seat stay hole hole points down at fender so fender needs to be drilled (rather than using a bracket for a brake bridge). Fender install is very clean and straightforward—
Is the hole in the back of the fork threaded or did you use a self tapping screw? I can't tell. 27.5x1.6 tires come in soon, and i'm ready to finish the build.
Old 03-27-19, 02:28 PM
fronesis

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Anger67
Is the hole in the back of the fork threaded or did you use a self tapping screw? I can't tell. 27.5x1.6 tires come in soon, and i'm ready to finish the build.
It’s threaded!
Old 03-27-19, 02:39 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Thanks for the posts everyone, they are really helpful.

What size did everyone go with, and do you find it ok for you? I'm 5'10 and BD recommends a 55cm. I'm past my prime as far as flexibility so no slammed stem/riding down in the drops for me except on long descents!
Old 03-27-19, 03:39 PM
Anger67

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fronesis

It’s threaded!
though so, but the screw that came with my fender set didn't seem to want to go, and no way was i going to cross thread. thanks. I will check it out further when at final assembly. maybe by then I will be over 10 posts, so I can put up some images. I made my Fiance a titanium coffee-go-getter for those wet trails.
  • swapped the drop bars for riser carbon, alum seatpost for chiner carbon seatpost.
  • XT levers and ultegra flat mount calipers
  • XT 11 speed shifter, XT rear der, Ultegra cassette
  • Chiner carbon rims on DT350 hubs using Pillar 1420 spokes with a shimano driver
  • magnesium platform pedals
  • Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HD OneStar 27.5x1.60"
  • Handsome Cycles Mud Butler Hammered Fender Set 700c X 45mm - Black
Old 03-27-19, 03:43 PM
Anger67

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Thanks for the posts everyone, they are really helpful.

What size did everyone go with, and do you find it ok for you? I'm 5'10 and BD recommends a 55cm. I'm past my prime as far as flexibility so no slammed stem/riding down in the drops for me except on long descents!
I think you just answered your own question with your statement. I bought the 55 for my GF, it's a bit too small for me (5-11.5) , a bit too large for her (5-6") in the stock config with 700C. But with the 650b wheels I swapped, the height should fall. Plus she prefers a larger bike, just as I do, due to elongated upper body. We're not going to be riding gravel with this bike.
Old 03-27-19, 03:54 PM
ChinookTx

I think you just answered your own question with your statement. I bought the 55 for my GF, it's a bit too small for me (5-11.5) , a bit too large for her (5-6") in the stock config with 700C. But with the 650b wheels I swapped, the height should fall. Plus she prefers a larger bike, just as I do, due to elongated upper body. We're not going to be riding gravel with this bike.
Thanks @Anger67. I guess the "proper" question should have been "Now that you got your bike, were Bikes Direct recommended sizes accurate for you". From what you are saying, they were.

Being in Canada, I only have one shot at this. I'd hate to have to drive back to the US to have to deal with a return. They are out of the 55 full bike now, so I'm contemplating getting the frame kit only (Frame and wheels) and slap on some Di2 XT/Ultegra parts I have here. I would have swapped the seatpost/handlebars/seat/stem, etc anyway.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 03-28-19, 10:36 AM
ChinookTx

I made my Fiance a titanium coffee-go-getter for those wet trails.
  • XT levers and ultegra flat mount calipers
  • XT 11 speed shifter, XT rear der, Ultegra cassette
If you're looking to sell the Force shifters and brakes, I might be interested.
Old 03-28-19, 10:47 AM
Anger67

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're looking to sell the Force shifters and brakes, I might be interested.
sold the levers and calipers on flea-bay earlier this month $450 shipped. sold the type 3 rear der locally $135 pickup, it had a blem from the shipping from BD to me, so I took a bit off. I kept the bars for a di2 gravel build i'm also working on.

B.
Old 03-28-19, 10:58 AM
ChinookTx

Good for you on the sales. Sorry for all the questions: are you using the Force 11 crank with the Shimano cassette/rear derailleur? How is it working for you? I'd do something similar as I have a Di2 XT RD lying around and a Force 11 crank that I could transplant.

Last edited by ChinookTx; 03-28-19 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-29-19, 04:38 AM
ChinookTx

I have finally placed my order for a Frame/Wheels. I should be able to start contributing to this thread next week when it comes in! Here's my build plan:
  • Shimano RD-8050-GS Di2 Rear derailleur
  • 11-40 XT M8000 Cassette
  • Shimano Ultegra 8070 Di2 Shifters and hydraulic brakes
  • SRAM Force 1 Crank 42T (Or Shimano XT "equivalent"). I have never mixed Shimano and Sram, but I think the crank should be ok with the right chain.

I also have a set of carbon wheels that I may or may not be able to convert from QR to Thru Axle. They have DT Swiss 350 hubs, which I believe you can convert using different "cups". This would give me a road wheelset in addition to the more gravel/cross oriented wheels that come with the bike.

Stay tuned!
Old 03-29-19, 11:58 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
with OP's fit, he should have gotten the Motobecane Century PRO Ti, it has higher stack.
Old 04-11-19, 09:07 AM
Anger67

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finished, except I do need to extend and modify the front fender hanger. 19.2 lbs as shown with fenders and pedals.

Likes For Anger67:
Old 04-11-19, 10:08 AM
ChinookTx

Nice build! Do you find the geometry fits well for the flat bars?

I'm just about to start building mine (got a frame/wheels only, the full bikes were out of stock). I'll be going 1x with XT Di2 in the back. Pics to come.

Last edited by ChinookTx; 04-11-19 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-22-19, 11:13 AM
Anger67

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice build! Do you find the geometry fits well for the flat bars?

I'm just about to start building mine (got a frame/wheels only, the full bikes were out of stock). I'll be going 1x with XT Di2 in the back. Pics to come.
Chinnook, sorry for my late reply. Tried to login via my phone while on VACA (Texas tx no less). The bike is for my GF, I find it a bit smallish/tightish for my build, but I Can certainly ride it without issues. It's just a tad big for her, but she likes it. Note, it's got a short 60mm stem and small rise bar. We're no experts in terms of fit, but she loves the ride and says "it's quiet". I think it's a nice ride as well.
Old 04-22-19, 04:02 PM
ChinookTx

We're no experts in terms of fit, but she loves the ride
That's the most important part!
Old 04-29-19, 11:20 AM
Anger67

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good for you on the sales. Sorry for all the questions: are you using the Force 11 crank with the Shimano cassette/rear derailleur? How is it working for you? I'd do something similar as I have a Di2 XT RD lying around and a Force 11 crank that I could transplant.
Sorry for my delay in responding. I didn't see your question. Yes, original Force 11. No reason you can't mix and match brands. I run many brand combos on my multiple 11 speed bikes.
Old 05-14-19, 06:05 PM
ChinookTx

Has anyone put 40mm tires on this? I currently have 32 Contis 4 season for commuting, and an old set of Schwalbe Sammy Slick 35mm on my 2nd wheelset, but they are getting worn, and I'd like to get something more aggressive, in 40mm ideally. Recommendations?
Old 05-15-19, 05:34 PM
ChinookTx

Posted in the commuter thread, but I figured I'd post it here too. This is my "custom" Whipshot build (bought the frame/wheels only). I love this bike, very comfy ride! I have 2 sets of wheels, one for commuting, and another one for some gravel/mud play!

Old 05-17-19, 12:48 PM
fronesis

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Nice bike!!!!

How did you remove the Motobecane label? Is it just a sticker???
Old 05-17-19, 01:00 PM
ChinookTx

It's a decal (a bit like paint) but there's no clear coat on it. GoofOff on a towel melts it off and it rubs off nicely. Nasty stuff though, make sure it's done outside. I think acetone would work too, which is probably what GoofOff is made with.
Likes For ChinookTx:
Old 05-20-19, 02:32 PM
fronesis

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Has anyone had any luck finding a source for a replacement derailleur hanger for the whipshot Ti?

Bikesdirect has a listing online for the proper hanger, but they always report "out of stock" when you try to buy it. I've emailed bikesdirect, but not gotten an answer. I tried Wheels Mfg and other usual sources, and no one has this one.

Any ideas?
Old 05-20-19, 02:49 PM
ChinookTx

Nooooooo! Did you break yours? Even if you didn't, come to think of it, it's probably not a bad idea to have one in the parts bin should something bad happen...

Do you have a pic? I'm too lazy to go check in the garage LOL.

Edit: Is that the one you're trying to get? It's not named per say, but it looks a lot more like the one on the bike than what they have listed as Whipshot. Probably for the Steel model.

Last edited by ChinookTx; 05-20-19 at 02:57 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.