Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Someone actaully stopped!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-24-19, 08:39 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Was out on a ride today. Came across the remains of an accident that I ran through yesterday. Yesterday I did not realize what it was until too late, Shards of glass from a taillight.

Later down the road I had a flat due to a cut tire. Came across the same pile today. Not wanting to repeat the stupid mistake, I made yesterday and not wanting someone else to repeat my mistake, I stopped. I then laid the bike down and proceeded to clean up someone else's mess. A mess no doubt caused by some numbnuts that thought texting was more important than driving. And was too lame to clean up the mess they created but that is another story.

There was a lot of glass. I was there for a fairly long time. Pretty good shoulder but busy road. Lots of cars whizzing by. But shoulder is wide enough I was not too worried about getting hit. Well one of those cars (actually a pickup) stopped. The man got out of the truck very concerned. He saw the bike in the grass and was worried I was hit. I explained I was cleaning up the mess on the side of the road. It was so nice for him to stop and ask if I needed help. There are at least some good people in the world.

As far as me cleaning up the glass? On that same road there was a tree branch sticking out into the shoulder. It must have scratched my arm 2 or 3 times on different rides. Came close to running into it a couple of times too. Once I stopped to try to clear it but it was too large. Kept trying to remember to take a saw down there to clear it. Well before I could remember, someone beat me too it and cleared that branch. So I was just paying it forward. Hopefully the same person that cut that branch benefits from the cleaned up glass.
Likes For spinnaker:
Old 05-24-19, 09:39 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
good on you for taking action. I try to sweep away such debris & cut away obstructing objects if possible.
Old 05-24-19, 09:46 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Great start to a thread, spinnaker. Excellent thoughts and actions and results throughout.
Old 05-24-19, 09:49 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Troul
good on you for taking action. I try to sweep away such debris & cut away obstructing objects if possible.
I was actually more impressed with the driver that showed so much concern for me Didn't mean to toot my own horn. Wasn't the point of the post just explaining why I stopped.

But it still frosts me that someone left that mess behind. What is really scary is that same idiot that ran into the back of someone could just as easily hit a pedestrian or cyclist. It is extremely rare for traffic to be stopped at that part of the road so what likely happened is someone slamming into the rea of a slower moving vehicle. Someone not paying attention.
Old 05-24-19, 10:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
The guy I was riding with when I had my head injury years ago was one of those good people. Sadly, I went to his service four months later. He'd stopped on Boston's Southeast Expressway to drive home an intoxicated driver he had gotten to also stop. Another drunk drive struck him. (2am after his hospital shift ended.)

Ben
Old 05-25-19, 03:44 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Good for you. Just be mindful you don't get hurt trying to do a good thing. Yes, I've cleared the roadway for cyclist and motorist too. Some debris lying in the road or path and I pulled it to the side.

Also, cleared away hanging/broken branches. One on the path sticking out so far you have to leave the path onto the road. Finally, remembered to put my hand clipper in my backpack and made quick work of those pesky branches (used to scrape my face every time I road by).
Old 05-25-19, 06:06 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Thank you for being a positive in this world. In my little section of life it's not at all uncommon for people to stop and offer help. The best was when I rolled into an intersection that had a flashing red light. Cars at all 4 corners trying to get through. A town cop pulled into the intersection and threw on his lights and stopped traffic. Then he waved me through. Love it when people like that try to help us. As I rolled down the road he pulled up and said, "Wanna race?" I said, "If there's a beer in it, you're toast." He laughed and drove on.
Old 05-25-19, 06:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
I have cleared road obstructions countless times.
Old 05-25-19, 07:35 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Someone actaully [sic] stopped!
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Was out on a ride today. Came across the remains of an accident that I ran through yesterday. Yesterday I did not realize what it was until too late, Shards of glass from a taillight.

Later down the road I had a flat due to a cut tire. Came across the same pile today. Not wanting to repeat the stupid mistake, I made yesterday and not wanting someone else to repeat my mistake, I stopped. I then laid the bike down and proceeded to clean up someone else's mess....

There was a lot of glass. I was there for a fairly long time. Pretty good shoulder but busy road. Lots of cars whizzing by. But shoulder is wide enough I was not too worried about getting hit.

Well one of those cars (actually a pickup) stopped. The man got out of the truck very concerned. He saw the bike in the grass and was worried I was hit. I explained I was cleaning up the mess on the side of the road. It was so nice for him to stop and ask if I needed help. There are at least some good people in the world...

As far as me cleaning up the glass? On that same road there was a tree branch sticking out into the shoulder...Well before I could remember, someone beat me too it and cleared that branch. So I was just paying it forward.

Hopefully the same person that cut that branch benefits from the cleaned up glass.
Originally Posted by Troul
Originally Posted by Rowan
Great start to a thread, spinnaker. Excellent thoughts and actions and results throughout.
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Good for you. Just be mindful you don't get hurt trying to do a good thing. Yes, I've cleared the roadway for cyclist and motorist too. Some debris lying in the road or path and I pulled it to the side.
Originally Posted by bruce19
Thank you for being a positive in this world. In my little section of life it's not at all uncommon for people to stop and offer help.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
A well-known curmudgeonly talk show host in Boston has an adage, "No good deed goes unpunished."

I don't subscribe to this philosophy, and I have helped motorists (and cyclists) in distress, but wouldn't it be a bummer if some creep stole your bicycle during the chaos of an accident scene?

I'm just sayin' be careful out there.
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The guy I was riding with when I had my head injury years ago was one of those good people.

Sadly, I went to his service four months later. He'd stopped on Boston's Southeast Expressway to drive home an intoxicated driver he had gotten to also stop. Another drunk drive struck him. (2am after his hospital shift ended.)

Ben
However, I have previously posted to this thread, “Delays you don’t mind,” particularly regarding cyclists helping motorists:
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I usually offer while rolling ... "need anything?" only stopping if they do. this past year, only 1 taker ...
Originally Posted by winston63
Yep, that's my MO in these situations. I've had a couple of people who did need help and it's: gratifying to be able to help them out.
I once posted regarding good deeds that cyclists perform as a result of their nimbleness, flexibility, and accessibility is that we are the Knights Errant of the Road
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The adjective errant (meaning "wandering, roving") indicates how the knight-errant would wander the land in search of adventures to prove his chivalric virtues, either in knightly duels (pas d'armes) or in some other pursuit of courtly love
For example… [picture deleted]

Or,
On one of the worst winter days I have ridden by bike on studded tires, I was able to stop three different times, to push hapless drivers spinning their wheels on icy roads to get onto less slippery patches.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-25-19 at 07:54 AM. Reason: added quote by 79pmooney
Old 05-25-19, 08:35 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Again, the thread is not about road obstructions. It is about a driver that had a concern for my safety. Does anyone read?
Old 05-25-19, 09:20 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Someone actaully [sic] stopped!
Again, the thread is not about road obstructions. It is about a driver that had a concern for my safety.

Does anyone read?
I replied to this thread about the reciprocal situation:
However, I have previously posted to this thread, “Delays you don’t mind,” particularly regarding cyclists helping motorists
Call it “thread drift.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-25-19 at 09:27 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 05-25-19, 12:43 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Did the person who stopped have Minnesota plates by any chance?

Up here in the rural Upper Midwest, there are still plenty of nice and helpful people around. I've been doing things as simple as taking a roadside picture with my phone, and people in large vehicles have stopped to ask if I need assistance or a ride somewhere. For whatever reason, I think it's human nature to remember the bad and forget about the good.
Old 05-25-19, 12:55 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
In re the tree branch, MTBR has someone posting each spring about what’s the best folding pruning saw
Old 05-25-19, 01:36 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
How do you clean up glass in the road? (Many kudos to those who do.)

If I see a cyclist possibly in trouble, I offer help as I ride by. It recently dawned no me that I need to stop, because if I don't, I won;t hear any answer, since I don't ride with my hearing aids in my ears. A year or 2 ago, a rider needed a pump. I ride with a Zefal HP. Which didn't work. (I have since replaced the worn parts.)
Old 05-25-19, 01:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Again, the thread is not about road obstructions. It is about a driver that had a concern for my safety. Does anyone read?
Countless drivers have shown concern for my safety.
Old 05-25-19, 02:01 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
There are some decent people out there. One time I was sitting the side of the road on an embankment fixing a flat tire with my bike laid flat on the grass. A driver stopped and asked if I was okay. And I've done the same as a cyclist when I see another cyclist stopped at the side of the road.
Old 05-25-19, 02:34 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Once on a ride with my wife she decided to try a diagonal curb hop, failing miserably. A woman passing by in her mini van stopped to see if we/she needed any help. Wifey was fine (aside from a bruised ego) but we were both shocked anyone would actually stop to offer assistance.

I can’t recall any driver ever stopping for me for any reason.

-Kedosto
Old 05-25-19, 02:36 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
One day on a club ride to Malibu, exiting Las Posas to Highway 1, the ramp was strewn with broken concrete block fragments, and several whole blocks. One of our group hit one and flatted, so we all stopped to "pick up the pieces". You can see the damaged rail, where somebody clipped it and lost part of their load. Nobody around, no cops, no Caltrans, so we cleaned it up as best we could. I pick up tree branches when I can, glass is not as easy to deal with, and probably more of a hazard to cyclists. One day on a club sponsored charity ride, one of the SAG drivers was using a small shop rag to push glass off the road. We finally borrowed a broom from an adjacent house.

Old 05-25-19, 04:16 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by philbob57
How do you clean up glass in the road? (Many kudos to those who do.)
Just picked it up piece by piece squatting down on the ground. With me on the ground like that and the bike in the weeds I could easily see how the man thought I was hit.
Old 05-25-19, 04:22 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I understand. What bothers me are the glass shards that litter the roadway - it doesn't seem reasonable to ride with a broom.
Old 05-25-19, 05:51 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I understand. What bothers me are the glass shards that litter the roadway - it doesn't seem reasonable to ride with a broom.
My commute is on a highway between cities, and for the life of me I can't figure out why all the broken glass is on the northbound side.

I'm forever stopping to pick up after the blasted eucalyptus, and I have had a couple of cyclists stop to see if I was okay. Sweet.
Old 05-25-19, 07:29 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
My commute is on a highway between cities, and for the life of me I can't figure out why all the broken glass is on the northbound side.

I'm forever stopping to pick up after the blasted eucalyptus, and I have had a couple of cyclists stop to see if I was okay. Sweet.
I frequent a cycleway that has been around for over a decade, and is where I will be this afternoon (you will know why in a second).

Going through one part of it must be near a pub or members of an awful community that unfortunately exists nearby. Almost every Saturday and Sunday morning there have been broken beer and other alcohol bottles along it. I've stopped to clean it off on several occasions, and I have seen others doing it, too.

On the other hand, we have been frequenting a small town near us at weekend as I get back into cycling, and despite the route and paths we use, and the fact it starts and finishes near a boat launching ramp, not a single sign of the alcoholic or other drinking or household rubbish. A truly pleasant place to ride for us.

And oddly enough, I have had little issues with eucalyptus trees, but I am Australian and that is where they are native.
Old 05-26-19, 05:53 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Who's the greater samaritan? The one who stops for an accident or the one who helped it from ever happening?

Old 05-26-19, 10:12 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
The only reason I feel a lot more people don't help in situation described here, is that their efforts are assumed redundant. It stands to reason that if you live in the more rural areas you would get more people to stop and offer assistance than those of us that live in major metropolitan areas.
Originally Posted by hillyman
Who's the greater samaritan? The one who stops for an accident or the one who helped it from ever happening?
Anyone that offers to help qualifies as the good Samaritan. The only difference in your scenario is timing.
Likes For KraneXL: