Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Protecting arms from the sun

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Protecting arms from the sun

Old 07-01-19, 11:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have various lightweight UV-resistant tech fabric long sleeve tees. I suppose I could wear those under a short sleeve jersey. And one set of black Pearl Izumi arm warmers.

But this year I'm skipping the sunscreen and long sleeves while testing the recent theories about getting sun exposure to enhance production of Vitamin D and nitric oxide. There's a related theory that reducing sugar intake and body fat seems to reduce vulnerability to sunburn. And another related theory that sunscreen does not reduce the risk of skin cancer. (All three from studies published on PubMed, not junk pop culture voodoo health sites run by guys with nicknames like "avocado".)

I'm usually skeptical about such claims, even when backed up by published research on the PubMed site. But so far, so good this spring and early summer. No sunburns on rides up to 4 hours at midday.

That surprised me because in the past I burned easily. But back then I also was careless about my diet, consumed a lot of sugar, and while I didn't appear overweight I did have about 10 lbs of excess body fat evenly distributed.

But I'll need to wait about a year for my next bone density scan to see if there's any measurable improvement.
Old 07-02-19, 06:49 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Coolibar makes a number of products designed for folks who want sun protection while doing various outdoor things. My wife likes them for her summer tennis matches.

dave
Old 07-02-19, 07:27 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
After asking google to convert that temperature to Merican, I agree.
This past Saturday I did a 65mi ride in 95deg(35) heat and still used them because sunscreen just drips off me when its warmer than 80(26.666666666) and I would feel hot without the sleeves anyways, so I just went with em. A little water on them to cool down helps when it gets so hot.
I don't really factor in temp when it comes to whether or not I'll wear them - it's just sun and sun angle. When it's hot and sunny, yeah, sleeves can feel warm when you're not moving... but without sleeves, my arms *really* feel the radiant heat, moving or not (my darker-than-Caucasian skin may be a big factor), so I put 'em on anyway. Besides, I find slathering sun screen in to arm hair to be gross.
Old 07-02-19, 07:28 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I have various lightweight UV-resistant tech fabric long sleeve tees. I suppose I could wear those under a short sleeve jersey. And one set of black Pearl Izumi arm warmers.

But this year I'm skipping the sunscreen and long sleeves while testing the recent theories about getting sun exposure to enhance production of Vitamin D and nitric oxide. There's a related theory that reducing sugar intake and body fat seems to reduce vulnerability to sunburn. And another related theory that sunscreen does not reduce the risk of skin cancer. (All three from studies published on PubMed, not junk pop culture voodoo health sites run by guys with nicknames like "avocado".)

I'm usually skeptical about such claims, even when backed up by published research on the PubMed site. But so far, so good this spring and early summer. No sunburns on rides up to 4 hours at midday.

That surprised me because in the past I burned easily. But back then I also was careless about my diet, consumed a lot of sugar, and while I didn't appear overweight I did have about 10 lbs of excess body fat evenly distributed.

But I'll need to wait about a year for my next bone density scan to see if there's any measurable improvement.
"I'm not burned - I'm caramelized!"
Old 07-02-19, 08:16 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I too recommend the sun sleeves--in white. If it's 100 degrees, you can wet them and maybe take advantage of some evaporative cooling.

Does anyone use a neck gaiter to protect the back of the neck and can recommend a good one for hot weather? That's always a problem area for me on long rides. Sun screen washes away easily from that area with sweat.
Old 07-02-19, 10:59 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I too recommend the sun sleeves--in white. If it's 100 degrees, you can wet them and maybe take advantage of some evaporative cooling.

Does anyone use a neck gaiter to protect the back of the neck and can recommend a good one for hot weather? That's always a problem area for me on long rides. Sun screen washes away easily from that area with sweat.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07BJ...b_b_asin_title
Old 07-03-19, 12:23 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS

I don't use them in summer, but one of those stretchy "uber tube" buff neck gaiter things work well for me in winter. I've also used them in conjunction with an N95 masks for California summers, where the entire state catches fire for months nowadays. Don't know if they'd be too hot in summer for you, they would be for me on really hot days. OR makes them, but I've also gotten them as "free gifts" with a lot of my Aliexpress cheap Chinese jerseys. Very thin material, and extremely stretchy, you could put it up over your head, or just have it around your neck.
Old 07-03-19, 06:45 PM
cmc0108

Bikes: 2008 Trek 1.2 (Blah)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunscreens work fine with the caveat that they'll need to be reapplied after 90 minutes or so. So unless you want to bring it along with you while you're riding, I'd go with the sun sleeves.
Old 07-04-19, 07:15 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
I stop shaving in late spring, so am protected (except for nose) by the time summer rolls around!

gm
Old 07-04-19, 07:26 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
I stop shaving in late spring, so am protected (except for nose) by the time summer rolls around!

gm
Wow - you must have really hairy arms

dave
Old 07-05-19, 08:33 AM
Froomewannabe

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The Bontrager sun sleeves I have contain mesh on the underarm wrist which seem to allow additional cooling and are my favorite set.
Old 07-05-19, 09:23 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
No sunscreen (cancer causing chemicals).
This is BS
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-05-19, 07:00 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
This is BS
Not using any sunscreen is likely more harmful than using chemical sunscreen, but there is some evidence that chemical sunscreen isn't good for you. There is also very little data confirming that it is safe, and a lot of evidence confirming that it's bad for the environment.

I made the switch from chemical sunscreen to mineral sunblock a few years ago. It is more expensive and harder to use so I understand why most people still use chemical sunscreen.
Old 07-05-19, 08:52 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Not using any sunscreen is likely more harmful than using chemical sunscreen, but there is some evidence that chemical sunscreen isn't good for you. There is also very little data confirming that it is safe, and a lot of evidence confirming that it's bad for the environment.
There's no evidence that sunscreens cause cancer

Can the chemicals in sunscreen cause cancer?

You may have heard or read that chemicals in sunscreens are harmful and may increase your risk of developing cancer.

What do we think?
The research on oxybenzone, retinyl palmitate and parabens does not show that they cause cancer. None of these chemicals has been classified as a cancer-causing substance by any major scientific organization. The Canadian Cancer Society has studied the current research, and we believe that oxybenzone, retinyl palmitate and parabens in sunscreen do not pose a cancer risk.

https://www.cancer.ca/en/prevention-...cer/?region=ab
Old 07-05-19, 09:25 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
American Academy of Dermatology - Is sunscreen safe?

An extract from a page of the American Academy of Dermatology:

I recently read an article that suggests the FDA is saying many sunscreen ingredients are unsafe. Is this true?

No, but the regulatory language can be confusing. What the FDA has done is issue a proposed rule, which asks manufacturers to provide more data about the safety of several sunscreen ingredients. These sunscreen ingredients have been used in the United States for years.

Why is the FDA concerned about these sunscreen ingredients?

The FDA is asking for more safety data to find out the following:
  • To what extent your skin absorbs sunscreen ingredients
  • Whether absorbing sunscreen has any effects on your skin or body
What does the FDA proposed rule say?

This proposal rule classifies sunscreen ingredients.

The FDA is proposing that two ingredients are “generally recognized as safe and effective” (GRASE). These ingredients are:

• Titanium dioxide
  • Zinc oxide
The FDA proposes that two other ingredients are not GRASE:

• PABA
  • Tolamine salicylate
Not to worry. You won’t find either of these ingredients in sunscreen legally sold in the United States.

The FDA is calling for more safety data on the following 12 ingredients before determining whether these ingredients can be classified as GRASE:

• Ingredients commonly used in the U.S.: ensulizole, octisalate, ****salate, octocrylene, octinoxate, oxybenzone, avobenzone.
  • Ingredients not frequently used in the U.S.: Cinoxate, dioxybenzone, meradimate, padimate O, sulisobenzone.
Likes For Athens80:
Old 07-06-19, 03:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, let's not go nuts with the junk science. Don't skip the sunscreen. If it's been working for you, and especially if you or your family have a history of skin cancer, do something to protect your meat envelope.

I'm skipping the sunscreen only out of curiosity. I don't believe sunscreen causes cancer. It's certain effective at protecting from painful sunburns. There's some doubt about whether it also protects from cancer caused by sun exposure, but I'm not really concerned about that either.

If I was really concerned about protecting my hide from the sun I'd do like my buddy Harry and dress like Sherif Ali in Lawrence of Arabia. Harry wears mostly black full arm and leg coverings year 'round, and a neck covering attached to his helmet. And my buddy Ted wears white -- he has had a bout with melanoma and isn't taking any chances. Both of them say it's tolerable in heat, even midday sun.

I'm just curious to try the theories that we may need more sun exposure than many of us get, particularly to generate Vitamin D for bone health and nitric oxide for energy.

And I was curious about the theory that cutting back on the body fat and eliminating most sugar from the diet may reduce our vulnerability to sunburn. That's easy to test immediately. And sure enough, so far this year it's worked for me. I've always been prone to sunburn, but in the past I also ate a lot of sugar and sweet stuff. When I was younger I was so active I was still skinny. But by my mid-30s I was getting fat. And I was sunburning much more easily.

Now I'm down to nearly my optimal weight of my late teens and early 20s, with maybe 3 lbs of excess body fat around my belly and lower back. I've cut way back on sugar, but haven't eliminated it completely. And I've cut back on the junk carbs including beer.

There seems to be some connection between diet, body fat and sunburn vulnerability. But I wouldn't claim that *not* suffering painful sunburn means it's a good idea to go without some skin protection. I'm tanning, but my skin has that typical dry, mottled, uneven look we old folks get. I'm pretty satisfied with the results of this experiment -- I didn't sunburn -- so I'll probably resume using sun screen and/or sleeves/leggings, at least for midday rides.

The Vitamin D and nitric oxide thing? Who knows. I'll need to wait for my next bone density scan. As for energy from encouraging the body to make its own nitric oxide on demand, also who knows? I've always had some good, strong days and some some blah days with low energy. I can't prove my recent good days are due to letting the sun tan my hide. For all I know it may be the creatine, extra vitamins and minerals, getting my low thyroid level back in balance, or just improved conditioning. Too many variables to credit the sun with my slightly faster speeds or slightly improved stamina.