Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Prologue --- Yeahhh -------Nooooo ------OK

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-21-19, 02:15 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

So a Prologue shows up on Facebook with a price that's stupid cheap. Not my size, but how can you not buy it based purely on principal ? Only one blurry picture in the ad that shows near nothing, but it's a can't lose, right ?
I wait an hour before I message the owner and it's still available. I schedule a meeting letting him know if the paint is good I will offer him double the price. He brings out the bike and it seems pretty good. I notice some of the usual dots of rust the Schwinns are known for. I was a bit disappointed but thought it would still clean up nice. Then I turn it around. Dent in the top tube. I turn the bars and yep - that was the cause. It's not deep, there isn't a crease (I've heard creases are bad), but there is a faint line and paint loss. Ughhhh.

Teaching moment. My mind goes blank. Even though it's not a keeper for me, my mind works as though it would be mine. All the scenarios run through my head. So I basically offer him his asking price. He says he has received other calls, and I ask him if he told them about the dent. Of course he gives me a blank stare and says "ahhhh no." I think he was thinking about me offering more money as I had mentioned earlier. Obviously he thinks the dent is no big deal. I'm still a bit irked and hold out the cash for his asking price only. He takes it. I load the bike barely remembering much other than the dent and the Sante rear derailleur. Teaching moment continues in the morning.

So this morning I unload the bike - still a bit depressed about the whole thing. Dent dent dent dent dent. That's all that's on my mind. Teaching moment continues as my clearer head sees the Sante derailleur again, Sante shifters, Dura Ace front derailleur, Dura Ace seatpost, Cinelli stem and Cinelli bars. Matched 600 brakes, levers, and crankset round it out. I swear I didn't see any of this the day before during my black out. I still don't know how to approach this bike (I'm not a "part things out" kinda guy), but learned a valuable lesson. I was blinded by the dent and saw nothing else. The owner, the average condition of the bike, and my emotions just stopped me from seeing the whole picture. Any suggestions on how to approach this bike would be appreciated. As I said, wrong size for me, but the frame causes me some pause as far as finding the right owner

Last edited by sdn40; 07-21-19 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 02:18 PM
sdn40

The derailleur pic is blown out - but its actually in good condition. The white face plate is still white and not chipped

Last edited by sdn40; 07-21-19 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 03:28 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Doesn't fit and there's a wicked dent in the top tube?

I'd be finding a new home for those parts.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 07-21-19, 03:41 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,456 Posts
A good patient mechanic or a frame builder can remove that dent. I am not sure I would worry too much about it, I had a similar dent in my Sport SX for years until the frame broke. At the seat stay cap.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-21-19, 04:02 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
The Prologue was sold as a frame set only, was it not? Part it out and sell the frame to somebody it fits. They could repair it or not. Some could live with the dent, some could not. I could live with it if it fit me.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 07-21-19, 04:23 PM
sdn40

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Doesn't fit and there's a wicked dent in the top tube?

I'd be finding a new home for those parts.
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
A good patient mechanic or a frame builder can remove that dent. I am not sure I would worry too much about it, I had a similar dent in my Sport SX for years until the frame broke. At the seat stay cap.
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
The Prologue was sold as a frame set only, was it not? Part it out and sell the frame to somebody it fits. They could repair it or not. Some could live with the dent, some could not. I could live with it if it fit me.
Of course you guys, and gal, are right. My usual, if I happen upon a great deal is to tear it down and build it back up (relaxing for some reason). Then I get to keep it or pass it along with the proceeds going to my daughter in some way, shape, or form. I guess I'm a builder, not a stripper. I'm never gonna be the guy that sells every nut and bolt on the auction site. No fun in that. If this were most any other bike I would have passed on it in a heartbeat. With it being a Prologue, I just couldn't. Exceptions must be made I guess.

Last edited by sdn40; 07-21-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 04:38 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I like the stem and seat post. If you part it out and they are included in that, keep me in mind. Can you give any info on the specs of those two items.
Old 07-21-19, 04:49 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Dents can usually be mostly rolled out with tube blocks if you're willing to lose the paint, although the heat treat on Tange Prestige might make it not as effective.
Old 07-21-19, 08:23 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by sdn40
Of course you guys, and gal, are right. My usual, if I happen upon a great deal is to tear it down and build it back up (relaxing for some reason). Then I get to keep it or pass it along with the proceeds going to my daughter in some way, shape, or form. I guess I'm a builder, not a stripper. I'm never gonna be the guy that sells every nut and bolt on the auction site. No fun in that. If this were most any other bike I would have passed on it in a heartbeat. With it being a Prologue, I just couldn't. Exceptions must be made I guess.
Who said sell? Find a suitable frame, insert components, ride.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 07-22-19, 01:51 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Who said sell? Find a suitable frame, insert components, ride.
Yeah, sell the frame at a price that considers the damage and keep the rest (or whatever you like and sell the rest). I parted out a Univega touring bike a few years ago, and I distributed the parts between two bikes. The bike was low-mileage, so I considered it a source for low-mileage components.
Old 07-22-19, 03:37 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 441 Posts
23"/~58 cm?
Old 07-22-19, 05:34 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
You obviously like the Sante group. Your next step is to overcome your fear of parting things out to facilitate builds of a bicycle you actually want.

Getting a bike that isn't your size with a great groupset for "stupid cheap" is immensely lucky, and I have three framesets kicking around waiting for that luck to strike.

Do you have a 1980's/90s frameset in your size, waiting for components? If so, it's a no-brainer. Even if you don't have one, stop hesitating. It's obvious the Prolouge's dent doesn't make it enjoyable - and it doesn't fit - so why not pass the frame on to someone else? Solve the headache of the dent and it gets the frame to someone willing to fix or tolerate it. Maybe you'll even be able to trade + cash for another frame that'll fit you.

Remember, the hobby is about enjoying the bike, not receiving pain from it

-Kurt

Old 07-22-19, 05:42 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Señor Wences thinks you did OK:

Bike collecting IS such a stressful hobby sometimes though, I will agree.

Regarding the dent, go buy yourself an 98 cent bunch of bananas, peel off one of the "Chiquita" or "Dole" stickers, and place it over the dent. Or of you wanna get fancy, find a Mavic, Tour de France, or a small Schwinn cross sticker. I'm sure Velocals would have something appropriate for under 10 bucks. Though I would treat the rust first.

I've always wanted a Prologue, so I'd have had no better luck resisting that kind of deal myself, despite a SERIOUS lack of space. Enjoy.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 07-22-19 at 05:57 AM.