Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Confusion when trying to be nice.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Confusion when trying to be nice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 03:13 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
Seems to be a theme lately.
You mean it's not just me? It's been a domino effect lately - the first one puts me in position for the next one etc.... I couldn't even turn into my driveway Tuesday without someone wanting to "help" like that.
Old 08-01-19, 03:18 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by adablduya
as a bike commuter,i encounter something like this every single day. mostly at multi-way stop sign intersections. very often, a motorist will get to the intersection first, wait for me to come to my stop,and he'll sit there and wave me thru. i'll wave him thru right back, as he has the right-of-way. no, he'll keep waving. at that point, i just sit and wait him out, and when he finally moves on, i get this look of perplexity that i didn't take him on his offer. while i always recognize and appreciate the (presumed) courtesy, it is not welcome. he deviates from established traffic law, which is intended to provide predictability for everyone.
I notice some drivers appearing perplexed, and others becoming hostile when I don't put myself in more danger by pulling out in front of them. Especially the ones who slow down to a crawl while looking like they are having a seizure, why would anyone want to put themselves in harms way by pulling out in front of them?
Old 08-01-19, 03:20 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by Iride01
my apologies for being absent to my post. Last Saturday morning on the MUP of this post I wrecked and received a cracked skull, fractured orbit and of course a concussion along with other injuries. I don't have any memory of it nor for probably four to maybe eight minutes prior. Apparently I was alone and the only one involved. A couple walking found me and called for help.

I am expecting a somewhat full recovery. Plenty of med scans and tests in coming weeks. It will probably be some time before I return here to BF as thinking isn't easy, not that I was any good at it before <hah> .
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old 08-02-19, 06:24 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by beachball42
...While they are trying to be nice what they don't seem to understand is when they stop, they block my view of the second lane so I can't always tell what is coming and a driver coming up that second lane probably couldn't see me either.

The police in the Canadian province of Prince Edward Island (famed for its niceness) have recently had to urge local drivers not to stop on through roads to let drivers waiting at stop signs enter the intersections, for exactly this reason. There were something like three crashes (which is a lot in PEI) in a couple of weeks where the car in the second lane continued on and hit the waved-on vehicle. I think roads with more than one lane in each direction are something of a novelty in Canada's tiniest (by far) province.
Old 08-02-19, 06:29 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by adablduya
not just that, but if the driver proceeds into the intersection after you've 'accepted the offer' to proceed (remember, he had the right of way ...) and hits you, guess what ? you're at fault. other witnesses may not see that he waved you thru, and just see that you went first when he got there first. THAT is the main reason i don't "accept the offer" ....
And it's a common MO for insurance fraud, too. (directed against cars, obviously, since the car with the fraudsters in it has to be hit by something heavy enough to credibly do the hundreds of thousands of dollars of personal injury and medical bills the occupants are fixing to claim for.)
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 08-02-19, 08:12 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Too nice!

I had a life altering tib-fib compound fracture by a motorcyclist not following the rules. The rules are well established and there for a reason.
There is an MUP near my old house where some folks are blasting down the 35 mph speed limit roads at 50, others are speeding slightly less. Some folks see a bicyclist waiting to cross and they insist on slamming on the brakes. So many near Rear Enders it is absurd, of course there is an occasional collision. As a bike rider, there is no way to know what the hell the driver is doing, so you must wait until they come to an absolute stop. This just further irritates everyone involved. The whole process just takes forever, the drivers have to bring their lard buckets to a halt, and the riders have to wait longer that if the drivers just kept hauling ass down the road.
Old 08-02-19, 09:42 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
I had it happen too many times that, for instance, at a 4 way stop - one driver would try to wave me on, then get tired of waiting on me to get back on my bike and go and proceed through the intersection swerving around me in some fashion, or sometimes same situation another driver from another direction is tired of waiting on anybody at all and proceeds into the intersection regardless of right of way. Anymore, when I get to a 4 way stop, I put my foot down and don’t even make to look like I’m about to move until I’m satisfied that it’s my actual turn. I sometimes even wait until nobody else is creeping into the intersection. I’m sure it pisses off people behind me sometimes. I’m not dying getting tangled up with a driver in an intersection. Not by my choice anyway. I just act like I can’t see them waving me through. Most of the time I honestly can’t. Sometimes I’ll check my watch or take a drink. That usually gets them moving.
Old 08-03-19, 02:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Y'know, all this stuff about drivers has literally nothing to do with the op. A couple of asides, maybe, but this is a clear thread hijack at this point.

I think the op raises interesting questions about complex multiple passing situations on MUPs, Maybe people could talk about their experiences with that instead of turning this into the umpteenth "nicehole drivers" thread.
Old 08-03-19, 06:43 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
II just act like I can’t see them waving me through. Most of the time I honestly can’t. Sometimes I’ll check my watch or take a drink. That usually gets them moving.
Yeah, I have a whole routine. Sometimes I feel like a baseball player who's standing in the batter's box waiting for the pitcher to get ready. Adjusting my batting gloves, checking my helmet, hitting the bottom of my cleats with a bat to knock off loose mud (I made that one up). Anything to get the driver (who already has the right of way) ... to just take it, instead of having me go out out of turn, and getting the whole traffic pattern (which had been operating fine up until that point) out of sync.
Likes For Lemond1985: