Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Files: details, differences and where to buy?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 08-04-19, 07:30 PM
bobmarteal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am setting up a shop and need I am trying to track down some files. The course i just completed is a do it by hand operation and that is the way i'll get started. So i'm trying to track down files. I pretty-much know what i'm looking for as far as size etc. My questions:

1) hat brands to people recommend/is there a noticeable difference?

2) Any recommendations of a place i can go and pick and choose what i'm after? Most sites I've seen are a bit obtuse.

Thanks so much for your time.

~bob
Old 08-04-19, 09:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
Bob- Where are you? USA or elsewhere. As you're just starting out I might suggest that you'll be running through your files at a faster rate in the beginning then after a few years of skill building. Not sure that file quality will make a big difference yet. I suspect a wider range of file shapes and sizes will be a greater value starting up then real nice ones but of only a few shapes/sizes.

Here in the USA we have industrial suppliers like https://www.mcmaster.com/hand-files and others to source files from. Although I have done the local hardware store many times before. Andy
Old 08-04-19, 10:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
The newer Nicholson seem to be a lot better than the ones they sold when they first moved production out of the U.S. I have bought them at Home Depot and Northern Tool
Old 08-05-19, 10:47 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Try finding used files. You can get lucky, I know I did. A neighbor of mine back around 95 was selling his tools. He was a home builder that got his start in the 40's and had some really nice hand tools. I picked up a hand full of files, C clamps, and a Miller miter saw. All of the files except one has held up perfectly. 4 frames have been built plus several frame repairs.
Old 08-06-19, 02:00 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 653 Posts
My favorite file brand Is Bahco. They are made in Portugal and can be bought online from PTS in Detroit. In decending order of quality is Simonds next and then Nickolson below that. Nickolson’s quality has been a bit uneven since they started production oversees. The ones from Columbia are now better than when they were made in Brazil. But neither are as nice as when they were made in the US. I don’t like Grobet American Pattern files at all. They seem to dull quickly. However their Swiss Pattern files are quality. I have a variety of those in various file cuts in both 6” and 4”.

My favorite file handles are Scroo-zon. I like the feel of a wood handle much better than plastic. And with the threaded inserts, files don’t come loose. The suggested sizes they have in catalogs never fit the files they say they are supposed to fit. I can email you a chart that will get the right handle on the right file because I have tested them myself.

A sharp file can save lots of time and frustration and allow you to do better work faster. I hate it when they get even slightly dull. You didn’t ask but in case someone else is looking for file advice, I recommend a size run from 4” to 12” of both round in a bastard cut and half round with a 2nd cut.
Old 10-22-19, 06:00 PM
Roger Bloom

Bikes: Merckx Ti,Yeti ARC,Serotta NHX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info Doug. I’m shopping for files now and was curious in sizes to get.
Old 10-22-19, 06:12 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger Bloom
Thanks for the info Doug. I’m shopping for files now and was curious in sizes to get.
If you can afford it, I would recommend getting a size run of American Pattern half round bastard cut files. More specifically that would be a 4", 6", 8", 10" and 12". In addition I would suggest getting the same sizes (from 4" to 12") in round files that are also American Pattern but instead get 2nd cut. Other specific files can also be useful for example I like the Grobet Swiss Pattern 6" half round with a #1 cut for shaping lug edges.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 10-22-19, 08:02 PM
Roger Bloom

Bikes: Merckx Ti,Yeti ARC,Serotta NHX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Much appreciated!
Old 02-25-21, 12:11 PM
Greener Cycles

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is a bit old now but are there any new thoughts on what files are good quality? Anyone buy some recently that you're happy with? Thanks.
Old 02-25-21, 01:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Did anyone mention Bahco last time? I think they purchased a decent brand of files. I can't imagine files are going to be improving, the main market for them really disappeared now that deburring is done with cnc machines.

I have been happy with the Nicholson files I can buy locally. I have been known to abuse files.

Last edited by unterhausen; 02-25-21 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-25-21, 04:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Bahco is a good brand. I broke one of our mechanics files and got him a Bahco to replace it and he is quite happy, he got me hooked on Snap-On and Bahco is a Snap-On brand so it made sense. I like the handles of them that is what attracted me to it.