Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Hooded drop out positioning

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 08-09-19, 11:28 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Hi All,

I have a couple questions regarding the positioning of these hooded dropouts in the pics. How much forward rotation should there be before it's too much? My concern is the lack of hooded area on the bottom side of the CS for fillet. As you can see, there is next to none. Is that a non-issue? I would think I could need more than is there currently.

These dropouts have tabs inside of them and I can take them off, rotate the dropouts forward a bit more, and have more material to work with, but then I feel the derailleur hanger would be way out of whack.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Brandon

Old 08-10-19, 04:58 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
According to Shimano, the center of the hanger mount hole should be 4-10mm behind the center of the axle for road and 6-10mm behind the axle for MTB.

Have you considered offset mitering the stay and landing it higher on the hood? That gives you more surface area for your fillet and a larger contact area between the hood and the tube. In this case, it looks like you have already mitered the stay, so you'd have to shorten the rear end a few mm to make that happen.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 08-10-19, 08:09 AM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
According to Shimano, the center of the hanger mount hole should be 4-10mm behind the center of the axle for road and 6-10mm behind the axle for MTB.

Have you considered offset mitering the stay and landing it higher on the hood? That gives you more surface area for your fillet and a larger contact area between the hood and the tube. In this case, it looks like you have already mitered the stay, so you'd have to shorten the rear end a few mm to make that happen.
Thanks for the replay dsaul. I did think of that, but I wanted the center line of the stay to remain centered. I feel it looks strange when the stays and dropouts aren't "straight". Also the tabs on the dropouts would have to be completely removed for the offset miter to work properly. Maybe these dropouts are more for a TIG build?

I had these dropouts laying around and thought I'd see how they look. This bike will have tabbed dropouts and they're still en route so I guess I'll have to go that route.
Old 08-10-19, 10:40 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I have a set of those dropouts that have been sitting in a drawer for years for the same reason. There is not enough area for a fillet and now that I've switched to TIG, nobody wants QR dropouts anymore.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 08-11-19, 05:20 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I have a couple of the Paragon low mount dropouts that I only barely want to use any more. I saw Eric Estlund modified some qr drops to TA by brazing in a Wright-style dropout. I thought about doing that, but I'll probably just go QR, it's not like the frames I have planned will benefit too much from TA, and I have some nice QR wheels.
Likes For unterhausen: