Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Something like numbness in foot

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-20, 10:08 PM
btppberk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts

I experience something like numbness in my right foot. It isn't the sensation of numbness as I normally experience it: it is not, in other words, a pins-and-needles or tingling sensation. Instead, it is a slightly unpleasant and slightly cold sensation that I feel midfoot; it is as if my shoes are too tight and my circulation is impaired.

I haven't had a bike fit for many years, but won't be getting one until I get the vaccine. Any thoughts about what this could be or how to fix it?

Last edited by btppberk; 11-24-20 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-24-20, 11:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
There's a decent chance it could be a pinched nerve near spine or in buttock. I had that this past summer, though it was accompanied by pain in other locations. Sensation was exactly as you describe though. You could experiment with going on some 2 mile walks, using a good stride and a rolling hip motion so that each hip describes an approximate circle. See if that makes any difference. Fixed me right up.
Old 11-25-20, 01:28 AM
btppberk

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
There's a decent chance it could be a pinched nerve near spine or in buttock. I had that this past summer, though it was accompanied by pain in other locations. Sensation was exactly as you describe though. You could experiment with going on some 2 mile walks, using a good stride and a rolling hip motion so that each hip describes an approximate circle. See if that makes any difference. Fixed me right up.
Thanks for the reply, Carbonfiberboy. Say more: why would walking that way improve a pinched nerve?
Old 11-25-20, 09:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Is this a constant thing while riding or is there a particular amount of time you have to ride before this shows up? Off and on through the years I've had an annoying numbness in one or both feet about mile 35 to 45 of rides. Sometimes it stays around for the entire ride, other times it went away after another 15 or so miles. In my case it did seem to be a fluid build up causing a little localized swelling.

It also seemed that I could frequently just drink more during that time and it'd go away. That wasn't a sure thing every time. Also during that time I made sure to try and use thin socks so as not to get in competition with the cushioning already in my shoes.

A while ago I noticed that I seemed to have less issues when I wore the socks that were the snuggest on my foot. So for the last year or two I've been wearing socks that fit very snug on my feet. And for the most part I'm seldom bothered anymore.

Swiftwick, some of the Specialized and Giro models are some of the socks I've found that have some compression in the foot portion of the sock. The last two look suspiciously like the Swiftwick sock. So maybe Swiftwick makes socks for them.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-25-20 at 09:42 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-25-20, 12:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by btppberk
Thanks for the reply, Carbonfiberboy. Say more: why would walking that way improve a pinched nerve?
Because it un-pinches it. Many people, including me, are too rigid in their lower backs and hip area. I tried many things, and that was what worked. Might not work for you, but then again . . .
Old 11-25-20, 08:10 PM
btppberk

Originally Posted by Iride01
Is this a constant thing while riding or is there a particular amount of time you have to ride before this shows up? Off and on through the years I've had an annoying numbness in one or both feet about mile 35 to 45 of rides. Sometimes it stays around for the entire ride, other times it went away after another 15 or so miles. In my case it did seem to be a fluid build up causing a little localized swelling.

It also seemed that I could frequently just drink more during that time and it'd go away. That wasn't a sure thing every time. Also during that time I made sure to try and use thin socks so as not to get in competition with the cushioning already in my shoes.

A while ago I noticed that I seemed to have less issues when I wore the socks that were the snuggest on my foot. So for the last year or two I've been wearing socks that fit very snug on my feet. And for the most part I'm seldom bothered anymore.

Swiftwick, some of the Specialized and Giro models are some of the socks I've found that have some compression in the foot portion of the sock. The last two look suspiciously like the Swiftwick sock. So maybe Swiftwick makes socks for them.
Thanks for the response. It seems to take 30 minutes or so before I start to notice it, though I'll feel it earlier in intervals.Interesting about the socks, though in my case I'm already wearing pretty think and snug fitting ones.