Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

taking your Brompton for your international Flight

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

taking your Brompton for your international Flight

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-21, 08:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidMasse
For my next flight to Vancouver post Covid, I’m thinking of either using a Dimpa bag cushioned by a self inflating camping mattress (wrap the bike in the deflated mattress, place it in the Dimpa, open the mattress air valve so it expands to protect the bike) or a 29” Delsey suitcase plus some cheap cushioning.
If you do that, do not close the valve on the sleeping mat. At elevation, cabin pressure is reduced and you do not want your matt to over-inflate.
Old 01-09-21, 11:42 AM
DavidMasse

Bikes: Brompton H6R and H6L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If you do that, do not close the valve on the sleeping mat. At elevation, cabin pressure is reduced and you do not want your matt to over-inflate.

Thanks for that. I got the idea from a YouTube video. I just found out that I can't post links until I have 10 posts. In that video the person did close the valve.
Old 01-09-21, 11:50 AM
DavidMasse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
The Brompton fits the Dimpa bag almost perfectly. I don't think your mattress will be able to expand enough to provide much additional protection. I think thin but rigid sheets would be better. The Delsey cases look to be the wrong shape to fit a Brompton.
I got these ideas from Chris by Bike's YouTube channel. removing the saddle allows the Brompton to fit, with room to spare for the saddle, padding, and other stuff in packing cubes. The Dimpa solution might not provide enough protection. the idea of adding some rigid panels makes sense. 2BikesForAdventure got that route, using discarded lawn signs (election signs, realtor signs).

My Brompton dealer has told me that damage to the rack and wheels often happens if there is not enough padding.

We haven't got our bikes yet, they are scheduled for production in February and are expected to be delivered in March.
Old 01-09-21, 12:22 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidMasse
I got these ideas from Chris by Bike's YouTube channel. removing the saddle allows the Brompton to fit, with room to spare for the saddle, padding, and other stuff in packing cubes. The Dimpa solution might not provide enough protection. the idea of adding some rigid panels makes sense. 2BikesForAdventure got that route, using discarded lawn signs (election signs, realtor signs).

My Brompton dealer has told me that damage to the rack and wheels often happens if there is not enough padding.

We haven't got our bikes yet, they are scheduled for production in February and are expected to be delivered in March.
When you said election signs, I assume you mean corroplast. I have added Corroplast to my S&S case. It is basically cardboard, but made of plastic instead of paper. Very light weight. Most campaign signs in my area are not corroplast so I had to buy some.

This is what I bought at Home Despot. They have smaller sheets too, but I had several ideas in mind for uses so I bought the big sheet.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coroplas...896S/205351385

I did not need to cut it to fit in my truck, but if you buy a big piece like that, think about how to get it home. Cuts with a utility knife pretty easy, I run the blade over several times instead of trying to force it with one cut.
Old 01-09-21, 01:38 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
A friend who ships fragile instruments recommended using foam that comes in bags and expands and sets to the shape of the shipped item. It basically amounts to making custom shaped foam. He was getting these bags on Ebay and even got one but have to try it yet. A quick Google search comes up with a brand name InstaPak, but there may be others.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 01-10-21, 07:46 PM
biker101

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
In my view, the Brompton cardboard box provides very good protection. I reinforced it in critical places, and have used it on multiple flights.

https://mybikesite.org/#Packing
Old 01-11-21, 05:20 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
"In my view, the Brompton cardboard box provides very good protection"

That's what I keep saying, but they just won't listen
Old 01-11-21, 12:59 PM
DavidMasse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
"In my view, the Brompton cardboard box provides very good protection"

That's what I keep saying, but they just won't listen
Originally Posted by biker101
In my view, the Brompton cardboard box provides very good protection. I reinforced it in critical places, and have used it on multiple flights.
I will make sure that we get the cardboard boxes from the dealer.

The challenge though, because we travel to Vancouver often, is to have a travel solution for the bikes that is cost-effective and that we can use for the longer term.

The 29" Kelsey luggage solution is appealing because it provides good protection and it's cheap. You can get suitable used suitcases on Ebay or Kijiji. That works well for Vancouver because we stay with family so stowing the Brompton luggage isn't a problem. It doesn't work as well for European travel where typically we rent a car and move from one hotel or AirBnB to another.

For that kind of travel, the Dimpa + air mattress + Coroplast solution is much better because the packaging doesn't take up as much space as luggage. The same could be true for the Brompton boxes.

It remains to be seen whether my wife will want to bring Bromptons on European vacations.
Old 01-11-21, 03:57 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

I am baffled by how cheap packing, travel over continents, car rental, coroplast etc. stack here all together. The bike is heavy. When you put into a box, the center of gravity is far away from you and grabbing it, lifting and moving around is awkward and taxing, particularly when you have all kinds of other luggage to handle. A container with handles is easier, because you can keep it low and maybe even drag over a smooth floor. However, roller wheels make it much easier. Still 2 wheels vs 4 caster wheels make again a lot of difference. Is the shape of the container fitting the bike, so you can just drop the bike in and go, or do you need to reconfigure the bike and fight with the shape of the suitcase? Do you need to tape the container over and then rip the tape while handling everything else in travel? Or do you have luggage where the bike sits and the luggage rolls and you can just kick it and move or pull by a strap while handling three other pieces of luggage with no problem. I do not see where the considerations of "cheap" are to enter here and stack against true realities of travel. Sorry for the rant - I am just baffled by what is being considered.
Old 01-12-21, 11:44 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
I think the word “cheap” is being used instead of the phrase “ what I can afford “. It’s a reality thing.
Old 01-12-21, 11:49 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
What happened to OP?
Perhaps in one of those rooms in customs getting questioned about 'suspicious' equipment in his luggage?
Could be a long while before he is back!
Old 01-12-21, 12:16 PM
3speedslow

Naw, he’s off riding around!
Old 01-12-21, 12:19 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
I think the word “cheap” is being used instead of the phrase “ what I can afford “. It’s a reality thing.
So you buy Bromptons, go on European vacations, multiple flights, rent cars and then consider cost effectiveness in terms of a cardboard box or Dimpa bag! I am not saying that an inexpensive solution might not work, just it being one of the central criterions especially when you want to convince your wife. Say you organize a K2 expedition and then, when considering ropes, you decide you will save by getting cheap ones. Anyway...
Old 01-12-21, 12:52 PM
3speedslow

Your rant, not mine. Anyway...

Back to the thread topic! Where is the OP and what has he decided?
Old 01-14-21, 04:51 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Look, forget the Brompton, just fly into Poland, buy one of my affordable Romet Jubilats, travel around Europe with it, then sell in the local Polish ghetto wherever you finish before you fly out. You might even make a profit, or at least make some Pole very proud.
Old 01-14-21, 07:31 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
I heard that's what tourists do when visiting New Zealand: Buy a second-hand van there, and sell it back when you leave.
Old 01-14-21, 09:12 AM
3speedslow

Originally Posted by Geepig
Look, forget the Brompton, just fly into Poland, buy one of my affordable Romet Jubilats, travel around Europe with it, then sell in the local Polish ghetto wherever you finish before you fly out. You might even make a profit, or at least make some Pole very proud.
Old 01-17-21, 07:56 PM
biker101

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
BTW, for less than $ 40, you can turn the Brompton cardboard box into a rolling piece of luggage, see
https://mybikesite.org/#CarryBox

Likes For biker101: