Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Trainer bike question

Old 01-14-21, 01:33 PM
Cassopher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Trainer bike question

What are the opinions about having dedicated bike for your trainer to ride during the winter months or is it better to just ride your “in season” bike?
Old 01-14-21, 01:49 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Depends on what 'Winter' means in your location. Where I live (rural Canada) the roads are heavily salted to eliminate ice, so nobody takes their good road bike out between ~Nov and March, so it makes sense to leave it on the trainer. If Winter means 'slightly rainier than Fall' then you might want to keep a bike for outside use and a bike for trainer use. I would personally probably keep my good bike out of the crap weather and leave it on the trainer, and maintain an older or uglier bike for outside use.
Old 01-14-21, 02:07 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
If you use a mag/fluid turbo trainer and want to use your normal "in season" bike, I would suggest buying a trainer tire so you're not wearing out any rear tires with some good tread still left on them. I use one for my bike on turbo trainer, as I do not want to chew through a brand new Conti GP5K tire.

Now for rollers, any tire works.
Old 01-14-21, 02:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
The answer to this question, like so many others, is 'It depends'. I wouldn't buy a bike just to use on the trainer, but if you have more than one already, you might set one up for it. I've been using one of my steel bikes on the trainer, because in Northern California, winter means wet, and I'd rather not expose 30 year old steel frames to that when I have CF bikes I can ride. And yes, I use both a sweat guard and a towel to keep the perspiration off it.

Another consideration is position. You might be more comfortable on the trainer with a higher bar than you ride on the road, especially if you go for a big saddle to handlebar drop.

Even if you don't have a dedicated bike, you might have a dedicated rear wheel, if you're using a wheel-on trainer. I have an old 32 spoke Ultegra/Open Pro wheel with an old Conti 'Ultra Race' tire that's worn flat in the middle, and a cassette I wasn't using, and I swap this onto the bike I use on the trainer to replace the much better wheel/tire I use on the road.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-14-21, 02:42 PM
Cassopher

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The answer to this question, like so many others, is 'It depends'. I wouldn't buy a bike just to use on the trainer, but if you have more than one already, you might set one up for it. I've been using one of my steel bikes on the trainer, because in Northern California, winter means wet, and I'd rather not expose 30 year old steel frames to that when I have CF bikes I can ride. And yes, I use both a sweat guard and a towel to keep the perspiration off it.

Another consideration is position. You might be more comfortable on the trainer with a higher bar than you ride on the road, especially if you go for a big saddle to handlebar drop.

Even if you don't have a dedicated bike, you might have a dedicated rear wheel, if you're using a wheel-on trainer. I have an old 32 spoke Ultegra/Open Pro wheel with an old Conti 'Ultra Race' tire that's worn flat in the middle, and a cassette I wasn't using, and I swap this onto the bike I use on the trainer to replace the much better wheel/tire I use on the road.
I have a direct drive trainer so rear wheel/tire won’t be an issue.
Old 01-14-21, 02:52 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Dedicated bike, for me, is far superior.
In fact, before I had a good dedicated road bike on the trainer, I had a old beater hybrid, which I even found preferable.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-14-21, 02:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Moved here from General Cycling

I have a dedicated trainer bike. It's a parts bin build, so not much money invested. I might change my mind about riding outside at the last minute and go ride in the basement. I wouldn't want to have to switch the bike back and forth. I recommend it if you have the space
Old 01-14-21, 02:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Cassopher
I have a direct drive trainer so rear wheel/tire won’t be an issue.
Ooo! You lucky so-and-so!

I think this makes the case for having a dedicated bike stronger, assuming you are able to leave it set up all the time. With a wheel-on trainer, I unscrew the flywheel from the rear tire everytime, and I've also heard it's best not to leave the bike in the clamps all the time, too.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-14-21, 03:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a bike that's setup on the trainer full-time. It's my old road bike that I'd handed down to my son, but during the winter he is usually riding his FG or CX bike, so I lowered the saddle and changed out the junior gears for a standard 53/39 x 12/25. Just like genejockey, the trainer wheel is an old Open Pro with a half-worn out road tire. I've never felt the need to buy a special trainer tire when I have old tires that aren't reliable enough for winter roads but still have tread and hold air.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-14-21, 05:02 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
With a direct drive trainer, I use whichever bike I intend to use less outside. During the drier "half" of the year, that's my 1x rain bike. Other half, my fairweather fenderless bike. I enjoy riding both outside, and while they aren't quite set up the same, the fit is close enough that it doesn't make a noticeable difference for indoor training.
Old 01-15-21, 12:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,382 Posts
Dedicated bike will work fine as long as the fit is identical to your road bike. That's the most important thing IMO. And one of the reasons I ride rollers. Don't need a dedicated trainer bike. I do have a sweat bra I put on my road bike for roller use, but that's very quick to do.