Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A rare Canadian Le Croco

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A rare Canadian Le Croco

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 06:53 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Beautiful bikes mokala. I've never seen a Croco MTB before.
Old 04-18-21, 11:27 PM
mgermca

Bikes: LeCroco, Harry Quinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Hi all. I knew Sandy Tvdik who was the last person building the Croco frames here in Montreal. Interesting character, have not seen him in many many years.

I had two frames built by him in the early 90’s . I still have the road frame that I ride regularly and sadly (sniff), the blue one pictured below got away from me in the mid 90’s, would do almost anything to have it back!

ONE OF ONE
Pictured below is the LeCroco double male 58cm marathon lateral tandem that Sandy Tvrdik built for for my wife and I . Reynolds 531 tandem tube set, 48 spoke wheels, 32mm HP tires, rear drum and short reach calipers. Patterned after a full scale drawing Sandy had of a Czech track tandem, it had short wheelbase, and a short rear top tube that had my 5'10" wife tightly tucked in the 'draft' (I'm 6'2"). Note the rearward facing triathlon seat post common in the 90's installed in an effort to keep my stoker happy.
With a 56T big chainring, it was much like any tandem, it had you superfast with the wind ( high gearing and double horsepower) , pretty comfortable upwind (twice the horsepower and single frontal area) and really suffering in any cross-upwind where frontal area to the wind really hurts you.

Both are from the last frames built in the Pointe St Charles Le Croco workshop on St Patrick in Montreal before he relocated to Toronto.

Mark
Montreal

Likes For mgermca:
Old 05-12-22, 08:53 AM
rider22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Le croco bike

I bought the prototype made for Eric Van den Eynde by Sandy in late 79...he used it for one season and I bought it off him..he delivered to my parents house in his dad's Porsche. Won't forget that one. The bike has custom parts. It's still beats my new bike for smoothness and speed.
It was canary yellow when I bought it and I had Sandy repaint it...the paint job cost me the same as the bike lol
Mike

Last edited by rider22; 05-12-22 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-12-22, 10:52 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
These are unobtainium, even here in western Canada. I've only seen one in real life. Very, very cool bikes. BTW the town in Bohemia is Bruenn.
Old 05-12-22, 11:18 AM
rider22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 other road bikes but this a gem. I am going to sell it finally, the bars bother my arthritic back from a bike accident lol so it's just being kept clean , i was asked to donate it to a bike museum but I don't want to
Old 09-14-22, 01:26 PM
Aerobots

Bikes: 09 Bill Davidson Custom, 90s Cyclops, 95 John Hollands Invicta Custom, 80s Le Croco, 80s Proctor, 80s 3Rensho Track, 91 Bridgestone MB-0, 89 Blizzard

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Just thought I'd pop by and drop this here.
It's nutty. But I'd still grab it if it were in my size [and I was anywhere near that province].
Hope one of you ON enthusiasts scoop it up!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/ci...ike/1630096747

Last edited by Aerobots; 09-14-22 at 01:28 PM. Reason: added image
Old 09-14-22, 02:23 PM
rider22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
These are unobtainium, even here in western Canada. I've only seen one in real life. Very, very cool bikes. BTW the town in Bohemia is Bruenn.
I didn't have one person in this city who had a clue about my croco bike or even heard of modolo lol or TTT
Old 09-15-22, 05:33 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Aerobots
Just thought I'd pop by and drop this here.

It's nutty. But I'd still grab it if it were in my size [and I was anywhere near that province].

Hope one of you ON enthusiasts scoop it up!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/ci...ike/1630096747

Beam bicycles can be a hard sell. Besides, the normal fit issues, you have to consider your weight. The beams came in several weight ratings and if you're too heavy or too light, the suspension can be either too active or not active enough. The fitting process itself is more complicated due to the beam sag, which affects saddle height, saddle tilt and saddle setback. That nose down saddle position in the photo will flatten out significantly, once the rider is seated on the saddle. The extra, unweighted, saddle height can prove troublesome for mounting and dismounting, as you have to swing your leg significantly higher to clear the saddle. Cyclists with large thighs also have to worry abount beam rub. The handling will likely feel strange to most avid cyclists, due to the high centre of gravity. Finally, you have to have a smooth spin to be efficient on a beam bicycle. Pedal smashers need not apply. I wouldn't be surprised if this one sits around for quite a long time.

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-15-22 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-15-22, 10:41 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Very true, I have a couple of beam bikes, and they were pretty cheap due to the very small subculture that likes these things. But that Croc example is kool.