Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Deore XT M8000 crank + threaded BB spacers?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-20, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Building up my gravel bike with the Deore XT M8000 cranks for the lower 1x gearing options. The bottom bracket recommended with this crankset is the Shimano XT M800 BB which will need some spacers (included in BB package) with my 68MM BB shell.

How reliable are these spacers? They are plastic. Are there any metal options? Has anyone had any experience?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-20, 01:37 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
The spacers are fine, the cups themselves have deeper threaded sections to compensate for the lack of shell. I think some were Al; some of mine in my pile of parts appear to be metallic and not steel.

Many, many people have run those on 68mm shells with the spacers for years, its normal. As you say, they come in the box just for this purpose.
Old 12-18-20, 01:58 PM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
The spacers are fine, the cups themselves have deeper threaded sections to compensate for the lack of shell. I think some were Al; some of mine in my pile of parts appear to be metallic and not steel.

Many, many people have run those on 68mm shells with the spacers for years, its normal. As you say, they come in the box just for this purpose.
Got it appreciate the response. I was thinking for reliability purposes finding metal versions of these spacers. We are torquing them down a decent amount - found that thought a bit weird with plastic spacers.
Old 12-18-20, 02:48 PM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Also - another question I have... are these spacers mandatory when running a 1x setup with this crank? Thanks! DorkDisk
Old 12-18-20, 02:56 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
the spacers are mandatory no matter what kind of drivetrain you are using to space the ends of the spindle correctly between the bearings. if you don't use spacers, you'll probably end up with play in the spindle.

theoretically, you could put all the spacers on one side or the other of the BB shell, so long as the effective width of the shell is corrected by the spacers. you probably would not want to do that because it would make the pedals laterally off-center and might make the clearance between the frame and the ends of the arms uneven, but it's possible.

the plastic spacers are fine. I've installed a lot of threaded external BB cups and the plastic spacers have never been known to break. if you put enough torque on the bearing cups to damage the plastic spacers, you've gone way overboard with the torque. Shimano's instructions are to grease the threads and then torque the cups to 35-50Nm. 50 is a lot. my experience, based on instructions from the Barnet's DX manual, is to use Loctite 242 and stop at 35Nm. that's more than enough, with the Loctite, to keep everything sealed up, and it won't come loose until you ask it to.
Old 12-21-20, 10:46 PM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
As others have written, if you have a 68mm BSA threaded bottom bracket shell, you need to use spacers with the external bottom bracket cups to fit a Shimano MTB crank designed for a 73mm bottom bracket. If you got such spacers from Shimano with your bottom bracket, I’d think they’re fine to use. You should also be able to buy aluminum 2.5mm spacers separately for use with a BSA bottom bracket, like these: https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket...ack-alloy.html
Old 12-21-20, 11:27 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 996
Building up my gravel bike with the Deore XT M8000 cranks for the lower 1x gearing options. The bottom bracket recommended with this crankset is the Shimano XT M800 BB which will need some spacers (included in BB package) with my 68MM BB shell.

How reliable are these spacers? They are plastic. Are there any metal options? Has anyone had any experience?

Thanks!
Hmmm. I've had mine in for about 4500 miles with no problems yet. I'm about to winterize my bike and will be removing and regreasing the BB, so I'll be getting a closer look at the spacers soon. I didn't realize they were plastic to tell you the truth.
Old 12-22-20, 12:07 PM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Wattsup wow that's awesome. Great news. Plz keep us updated (if you can). I went ahead with the M800 BB. Excited for the build.
Old 12-27-20, 07:49 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
I have installed that crankset and bb on my Toughroad with a 68mm BB with metal spacers. I personally think the plastic spacers would deal with corrosion better IMO.
Old 12-27-20, 08:35 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Your LBS probably has spare metal spacers, just ask. That’s how I got mine.
Old 12-28-20, 08:52 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
I have installed that crankset and bb on my Toughroad with a 68mm BB with metal spacers. I personally think the plastic spacers would deal with corrosion better IMO.
Definitely something to consider!