Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 02-20-21, 01:13 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Well, the IM trainer ride was good. The treadmill run was really good. Then near disaster struck. Went to the locker room to change for the swim. There was an elderly, weight challenged man in the same area 3-4 yards away. He looked like a crusty old sea captain. He was reeking of BO so bad that I could smell it through my mask! I have a good nose, but still. His swass was overpowering. I skipped the swim for fear of barfing in the pool. Headed for a shower instead. When I got back, he was gone. The stink however, was hanging tough. As the Fabulous Thunderbirds once proclaimed, "Sho nuff, powerful stuff!"
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-20-21, 05:59 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Things in Cen-Tex are 100% better, this being Texas we still have 50% more to go.
I plan on riding my '85 tomorrow if I don't make the road trip for a group set for the Centurion TA as highs are expected in the 60s.
The seller hasn't responded to my email yet. Man the group set would be perfect for the Centurion TA. If you can't tell, I'm really hoping I can get it.

Last edited by texaspandj; 02-20-21 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-20-21, 10:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Freaking awesome. Congrats and keep it going. Wow! 5 miles of running, that's great C- Cat.
I'm trying to work my way up to 10 miles, but it's tougher than I remembered from the last time I ran... in my 20s. Who knew?

I know for sure my days of sub-20 minute 5k runs are long gone. I'm trying to crack 30 minutes for a 5k right now.

Running has been easier on my neck compared with cycling. But it's a lot harder in every other way. Which probably means I'm not really pedaling hard enough consistently enough.
Old 02-21-21, 07:27 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by canklecat
I'm trying to work my way up to 10 miles, but it's tougher than I remembered from the last time I ran... in my 20s. Who knew?

I know for sure my days of sub-20 minute 5k runs are long gone. I'm trying to crack 30 minutes for a 5k right now.

Running has been easier on my neck compared with cycling. But it's a lot harder in every other way. Which probably means I'm not really pedaling hard enough consistently enough.
Don't worry about the time. It might come, it might not. The important thing is your'e out there doing it.

Last edited by seypat; 02-21-21 at 09:49 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-21-21, 09:54 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by canklecat

Realize that you have gears on the bike. A single speed will be closer to running. As you increase the miles, LSD runs are the way to build your base anyway. You can go for a PR on the short runs, but LSD the longer ones.

LSD is Long Slow Distance

Last edited by seypat; 02-21-21 at 10:04 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-22-21, 12:47 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Sunday I was torn between the bike and running. Sunny, temperature got into the low 70s. Beautiful contrast with the past week of single digit temps, no electricity, water interruptions for many folks, and some snow and ice.

Unfortunately I was exhausted from the past week and slept late, until after noon. Finally got motivated around 3 pm. It's quicker to suit up for running than cycling, so I ran. Did 7 miles of fartlek style, which is pretty much my approach to cycling training too. Walking to warm up, jogging, strides for about 400 yards to max out my heart rate, jog/walk until the HR dropped, lather-rinse-repeat. Pretty good day, but after running 5-7 miles three days in a row after a full week off for the Big Freeze, I'm cooked.

I'm aiming to do 10 miles by March or April. Depends on my legs. I got too enthusiastic in November, doing tricky stuff like jogging backward for 200-400 yards at a time, sprinting up and down hills. Ended up with very sore fibularis longus on both legs and really sore, inflamed fibula heads just outside the knees.

And I was using the wrong shoes. I usually buy adidas because they fit my narrow feet (size 11, A/B width, high arches). I don't do any research, I just visit Ross and Marshalls discount clothing stores and check the rack of outdated, new/old stock shoes for under $30. I assumed all adidas shoes were serious shoes for runners or other sports. So I bought a pair of EQT Gazelles for around $20, walked the 8 miles home to try them out, liked 'em, and starting jogging. But they're more like lightweight low top hiking/trail boots than running shoes.

And it turns out a lot of adidas shoes now are "lifestyle" shoes, not practical for running or sports, just made to look sporty. Same Boost midsoles. So now I have to do more research to sort out the real running shoes from the lifestyle kicks. I also got some old stock 2018 Under Armour Hovr Sonic for $30, which are fantastic. The right shoe has a Bluetooth sensor embedded in the sole that records data or relays it in realtime to the Map My Run app to show cadence, stride length, footstrike angle, etc. Outstanding shoe.

But I got off to a bad start in November with excessive enthusiasm before building up a good base. My aerobic fitness was great from cycling. But my legs weren't prepped for running. So now I'm dealing with sore legs rather than chronically sore neck.

Some of us never learn. I made that same mistake often in my youth.

Anyway, I'm gonna switch back to the bike for awhile, give the legs a break from running for a few days. I'll keep walking but I'm trying to avoid jogging for a few days.

I'm still considering switching my 7-speed brifters and derailleurs from the carbon fiber bike to the Ironman. I like downtube shifters but brifters will be more stable in crosswinds, keeping both hands on the bar. Or maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to tinker. Anyway, I planned to upgrade one carbon fiber frame to 8-speed, and the other to TT/tri-bike configuration with 10-speed. Might as well try the 7-speed brifters on the Ironman for awhile.

Last edited by canklecat; 02-22-21 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-22-21, 06:34 AM
texaspandj

My Sunday didn't go as planned.
The seller didn't respond to my email and I didn't ride my Ironman. Plus, we had a gig saturday night and although I wasn't hung over, my stomach wasn't used to drinking...I guess.
So now I'm STILL hoping to hear from the seller. The group was so perfect for my intentions with it and I don't think I'll be satisfied with any other.
I'll be back to running M-Thur, off Fri and riding Sat and sun. I'll keep this schedule till the bike club starts the Tue evening rides.

Last edited by texaspandj; 02-22-21 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-22-21, 07:41 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
New IM?

What do you think? I know this could go in the WIW thread but IMs are special.

Separating?

50 bucks worth of ‘86 in my size.
Old 02-22-21, 07:55 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Classtime
What do you think? I know this could go in the WIW thread but IMs are special.

Separating?

50 bucks worth of ‘86 in my size.
That's cheap!
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-23-21, 08:31 AM
Classtime 

Missed it.
Old 02-23-21, 11:51 AM
seypat

On to some kinda humorous news. I got to my office yesterday morning and the heat wasn't working. The air handler is throwing the breaker. I was out most of the day so I didn't call a HVAC company. Now I'm back and making the call. What's humorous about it? Today's high is supposed to be 61. Tomorrow will be 66. I have the thermostat set on 67. When I got here yesterday morning it read 63. Now it's at 60. I must be living right to have it break during a warming spell.

The unit is a few years old. It's under warranty and the landlord's responsibility anyway. It's around 60 and sunny now. I'm going to open up the doors and let some fresh air in.
Old 02-23-21, 06:24 PM
texaspandj

Currently 76° with a high of 78.
You must be living right indeed.
I Guess I'm not because the group I wanted to get is no longer listed and the seller never responded to email.
The group was a Shimano 105 5700 with triple Crankset, front and rear derailleur, brifters, and Brakeset and all for 100 bucks. It would have been perfect for the Centurion TA gravel bike.
Oh well I must not be living correctly. The search continues but somehow I think I will Only be satisfied with a triple 10 speed.... who'd thunk it?
Old 02-24-21, 12:53 PM
texaspandj

Last year, due to the pandemic, I competed in Zero triathlons. So this year I planned on doing 3 or 4. So a few weeks ago I was searching for some Texas Triathlons and found a duathlon in march that I considered doing but now decided not to. Instead I set my sights on April. I found a triathlon in April near Austin. I'll register tonight. It has to be a short sprint as I haven't been in the pool in over a year. I doubt my wife will be pleased with me if I start swimming again. She's very cautious of us being out in public.
I
I'm finally feeling good and ready to ride and train. I'll be riding with my buddy this weekend and definitely riding my '85 Ironman with the RT Forks.

8 speed campagnolo veloce group(o), matrix wheels/veloce hubs, shimano aero seatpost, Centurion aluminum forks from RT, and original HS, Stem and Saddle.
I've leveled the saddle since this pic and the background seems to be dark so another pic is in order.

Last edited by cb400bill; 02-25-21 at 09:42 AM. Reason: off topic clean up
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 02-25-21, 05:09 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,542 Times in 3,756 Posts
Hey guys, let's keep this thread to just about these wonderful bikes and keep the COVID chat, and other off topic stuff out of here.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 03-03-21, 03:18 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Now back to IM talk... err Prestige talk. I know not a IM...

Finished mostly my 1989 Prestige 62cm Frame and almost all original componentry. It rides like a dream!

Old 03-03-21, 09:13 PM
texaspandj

^^^Awesomely Awesome!
Old 03-05-21, 03:59 PM
texaspandj

I'm not done with this yet but I had to post about it.
I wasn't sure what direction to take this beautiful frame that was gifted to me by the infamous RT. But when my biking buddy signed us up for a "gravel ride" the build ideas were set in motion. So not really sure what gravel bike meant I figured out it is simply unpaved roads. To me that meant sturdy, easy gearing, and comfort over speed. I had the idea of a triple chainring which is something I've never built but after looking at modern bikes that were marketed as gravel bikes, I noticed they were All 1× with all terrain tires. So I decided to go with 1×. After a literal one year since I've had "bike money" I FINALLY had bike money again. 200 dollar budget. Fortunately, I ended using almost all take off parts from my '85 Ironman which is mostly period correct for my '84 Centurion TA gravel bike. That and components from my parts bin.
The main reason for this post is because I gotta tell you about this bikes Ride. It rides SO DANG GOOD. It's surprisingly light and I'm totally impressed by it.
Ok here's a temporary pic til tires come in then I'm gonna take way better pics.
@seypat how's your turbo build going?

Changing saddle, tires and maybe stem. I was surprised by it measuring 54cm even though it looks like a 52cm and the Centurion Comp TA top tube is an at least a half inch longer than the Ironmans and how much tire clearance there is.

Last edited by texaspandj; 03-05-21 at 04:23 PM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 03-06-21, 05:09 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
I'm not done with this yet but I had to post about it.
I wasn't sure what direction to take this beautiful frame that was gifted to me by the infamous RT. But when my biking buddy signed us up for a "gravel ride" the build ideas were set in motion. So not really sure what gravel bike meant I figured out it is simply unpaved roads. To me that meant sturdy, easy gearing, and comfort over speed. I had the idea of a triple chainring which is something I've never built but after looking at modern bikes that were marketed as gravel bikes, I noticed they were All 1× with all terrain tires. So I decided to go with 1×. After a literal one year since I've had "bike money" I FINALLY had bike money again. 200 dollar budget. Fortunately, I ended using almost all take off parts from my '85 Ironman which is mostly period correct for my '84 Centurion TA gravel bike. That and components from my parts bin.
The main reason for this post is because I gotta tell you about this bikes Ride. It rides SO DANG GOOD. It's surprisingly light and I'm totally impressed by it.
Ok here's a temporary pic til tires come in then I'm gonna take way better pics.
@seypat how's your turbo build going?

Changing saddle, tires and maybe stem. I was surprised by it measuring 54cm even though it looks like a 52cm and the Centurion Comp TA top tube is an at least a half inch longer than the Ironmans and how much tire clearance there is.
Your build is looking good. My IMs are doing OK. I'm not going to talk about the rest of my bikes anymore in this thread. So, I can't answer your question. The red/white IM will be the one ridden at the event we aren't going to talk about. I'm thinking of some ways to spruce it up. I have the white Superbe chainrings. I've got an itch for red anodized chainrings for some strange reason. Maybe one of each. I'm guessing the chain will grip better since the colored chainrings would definitely be tacky. (Sometimes I crack myself up!) We'll see.

C Fe
Old 03-15-21, 05:53 PM
texaspandj

Finally it's done... sorta. The fact is the 42×30 may not be enough for the gravel ride me and my biking buddy are doing at the end of May. I mean I'm in the the 28 a lot and that's on the river walk, which is flat. The event flier says it's hilly and the ride to Hico tx through Meridian tx is hilly. So I may go to a 39×34 as the lowest gear.
When RT gifted me this frame he said he's had all the years Ironman just like me and said I needed the Pre-Ironman.
I had all the parts for this build except 10 dollar chain, 13 dollar stem, 50 dollars for tires.
On to pictures.

Kinda cloudy need more Sun.

42 tooth biopace. It's a 1×7 , the FD is just to help keep chain on when shifting.

30 tooth Cassette that can only take 7 cogs. I think the RD will shift up to a 39 tooth and possibly a 10 speed. But I'd need newer wheels.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 03-15-21, 06:05 PM
texaspandj

More pics because I like this bike.

The stem says raliegh and the levers are both for left. I wanted silver calipers but I gotta tell you that combo stops on a dime.

The pedals are different than what I'm used to and I really dig the tractor tires.

Friction shift. Cool silver brake cable courtesy of Doc.

Last edited by texaspandj; 03-15-21 at 06:08 PM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 03-15-21, 06:47 PM
seypat

Sweet gravel version of the precursor to the IMs!
Old 03-20-21, 03:05 PM
coffeecherrypie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider
Now back to IM talk... err Prestige talk. I know not a IM...

Finished mostly my 1989 Prestige 62cm Frame and almost all original componentry. It rides like a dream!

Very nice!
Old 03-20-21, 03:09 PM
coffeecherrypie

Here is my "restomod" Ironman. If I remember right from when I looked at the catalogs it is an '86. Rides great.

Last edited by coffeecherrypie; 03-20-21 at 05:27 PM.
Likes For coffeecherrypie:
Old 03-20-21, 10:07 PM
Classtime 

Nice job. My favorite color IM. Yours is an ‘87 Expert. There was an 86 in the same paint scheme with a different fork. I put 10 speed 105 on my son’s 89 and have 7700 dura ace on my wife’s 87 Miami vice.
Old 03-21-21, 06:51 AM
coffeecherrypie

Originally Posted by Classtime
Nice job. My favorite color IM. Yours is an ‘87 Expert. There was an 86 in the same paint scheme with a different fork. I put 10 speed 105 on my son’s 89 and have 7700 dura ace on my wife’s 87 Miami vice.
Ah good to know. Thanks! Yes I think these take to modern parts very well. I was just examining tire clearance yesterday and I think 28s will fit for my next pair of tires (have 25s on there now).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.