Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New cruisers for wife and myself

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-15, 01:24 PM
CHAZNSC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wife and I have reached the cruiser bike age I've had mountain bikes, etc, just ready for simplicity. I've never understood 20-something speeds anyhow in as far as need goes. In any event, we would like to get a pair of cruiser style bikes. I've looked at big box store bikes (schwinn) and just not settled on one. I'm not going to spend $400 on a bike so that's not even a consideration. My question is a single speed bike a mistake? We live in a rather hilly area but our primary rides would be along a local greenway that's fairly kind in slope. That said, may want to use a child pull cart for granddaughter. I'd be happy with a three speed, and certainly don't want any more than 7 speeds, just too much happening with derailers to my liking.

Wanted some opinions on
Good Non-big box store bikes
Thoughts on single speed vs 3 or 7 speed in general

I appreciate your thoughts.

chaz-
Old 07-17-15, 01:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18379 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Prices add up quickly the more features you add.

Gearing depends on the riders, and rider comfort. Say you come to a hill, are you (or your wife) comfortable just hopping off and walking up the hill? Would your or your wife do that anyway, even if you had 33 gears?

Personally I'd still choose at least a 3-speed. There is a big difference between a gentle downhill, and a gentle uphill, especially if the uphill portion is on the way back home. And a trailer just makes it that much worse.

Plus, your riding may change. How much do you wish to limit your riding with a single speed?

There are numerous internal gearing hubs from 3 speed to 14 speed which have the benefit of extreme simplicity for the end user. No derailleurs, derailleur maintenance, etc.

Once you jump to internal gearing, you could also consider a belt drive, but that does make it more expensive.

Coaster brakes are even available with some internal gear hubs (but not derailleur hubs).

Anyway, my choice would probably be a 3 speed, or a 7 or 8 speed internal gearing hub.
Old 07-17-15, 01:41 PM
CHAZNSC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Prices add up quickly the more features you add.

Gearing depends on the riders, and rider comfort. Say you come to a hill, are you (or your wife) comfortable just hopping off and walking up the hill? Would your or your wife do that anyway, even if you had 33 gears?

Personally I'd still choose at least a 3-speed. There is a big difference between a gentle downhill, and a gentle uphill, especially if the uphill portion is on the way back home. And a trailer just makes it that much worse.

Plus, your riding may change. How much do you wish to limit your riding with a single speed?

There are numerous internal gearing hubs from 3 speed to 14 speed which have the benefit of extreme simplicity for the end user. No derailleurs, derailleur maintenance, etc.

Once you jump to internal gearing, you could also consider a belt drive, but that does make it more expensive.

Coaster brakes are even available with some internal gear hubs (but not derailleur hubs).

Anyway, my choice would probably be a 3 speed, or a 7 or 8 speed internal gearing hub.
Thank you for confirming my gut. Any brands I might look at? Or stay way from? There's a lot of stuff online.
Old 07-17-15, 02:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18379 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I haven't done much with 3s bikes.... I'd go to a large extent by what is available.
Personally I like used bikes, but you sound more like the set it and forget it type... so new is reasonable. And, a local bike shop is a good start.

I believe Electra has invested in making some very professional "cruisers".
Old 07-17-15, 02:37 PM
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur

Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the cruiser page for bikes direct. Save up to 60% Off Cruiser Bikes - Beach, Town and City Cruiser Bikes | Cruiser Bicycles from bikesdirect.com
Some of them are pretty decent.

I have one of these (in the 8 speed -parted out as frame was too big- and a 3 speed in the right size). Mine is a mixte. I love the thing. I did change out the saddle, of course. Save Up to 60% Off Town Bikes | Classic, Stylish Three Speed City Bikes | Urban Bikes | Commuter Road Bikes | Windsor Oxford from bikesdirect.com

On my 3 speed bike (a Sommer and a bit more than you want to spend) I rarely use more than the first two gears. On the 8 speed I like to ride faster but even then I rarely get past 6-7. I'm in a valley with lots of rolling areas and such.

My guy is fairly fit and loves his single speed.
Old 07-17-15, 02:57 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I started on a cruiser 2.5 years ago. My wife and I looked at big box stores. For about $50 more than those bikes we found we could get an Electra that was by far a better bike. It felt so good I rode it everywhere, which led to a road bike and a hybrid and a 40 lbs weight loss and all of the health improvements that go along with it.

I bought a single speed. A three speed might have been a better choice, but the single speed was fine.
Old 07-17-15, 03:05 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll second, or third, the internal hub. Derailleurs on cruisers are usually POS.

I prefer the simplicity single speed but it depends on your terrain.
Old 07-17-15, 03:40 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
riding your bike is a visceral experience :
Where did your bicycle take you? - Home | DNTO with Sook-Yin Lee | CBC Radio
Old 07-18-15, 10:44 AM
CHAZNSC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the helpful input.
Old 07-22-15, 03:37 PM
SanDiegoSteve

Bikes: Felt Fc, Litespeed Ghisallo, beach cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cruisers are great. Gears are awesome if you have any hills. Slightly uphill from beach to our house. Gears have been a marriage saver. Cool bell and foldable panier baskets too.
Old 07-22-15, 05:23 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CHAZNSC
Thank you all for the helpful input.
Give Public Bikes a look, they have a sale going on now and they sort of specialize in what you are talking about.

Linus Bikes as well.

There is a thread not too far down the page about Critical Cycles too, but it doesn't come off too encouraging for the brand.
Old 07-22-15, 07:58 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My ultimate cruiser is a 70 something Raleigh Superbe. Until I can track one down for a reasonable price, I'll be happy with my 72 Schwinn Suburban. Lots of those around for fairly cheap. Then again, I love old bikes