Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Out with the old.... in with the new! Goodbye Sirrus! Hello Salsa Vaya!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Out with the old.... in with the new! Goodbye Sirrus! Hello Salsa Vaya!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-15, 07:01 PM
Sonmi451

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the bar ends personally. Your bike looks so badass anyway, nobody will notice if the color is slightly off.
Old 03-19-16, 07:25 PM
cgasieni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great looking bike! I originally saw the Sirus and joined the forum just to follow, learn, and ask this question!

Question, and it may sound amateur as I am still learning, why did you go with only XT and not XTR line of components on the Salsa? In addition, why did you change the handlebar and not use the from the Sirus you had? Also, what does your logo stand for? I have been dreaming about a bike similar to the ones you build and have been riding my dad's Gary Fisher comfort bike with a huge cloud 9 seat on it! I need a hybrid and am now more curious about steel and larger tires. Looking to buy or build my dream too and you are the inspiration. Thank you!

BTW, the new rims look much better, brighten up the bike and make it look more relaxed and real. The black ones look too road for this beautiful one of a kind! The bar ends look great, but I would say straight black would look just as good. Keep doing what you are doing!

Last edited by cgasieni; 03-19-16 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-19-16, 08:06 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I like the new wheels. That bike is gorgeous!
Old 03-24-16, 07:12 PM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Bikes: Custom Giant Anyroad Flatbar, Custom Raw Steel Raleigh XXIX SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cgasieni
Great looking bike! I originally saw the Sirus and joined the forum just to follow, learn, and ask this question!

Question, and it may sound amateur as I am still learning, why did you go with only XT and not XTR line of components on the Salsa? In addition, why did you change the handlebar and not use the from the Sirus you had? Also, what does your logo stand for? I have been dreaming about a bike similar to the ones you build and have been riding my dad's Gary Fisher comfort bike with a huge cloud 9 seat on it! I need a hybrid and am now more curious about steel and larger tires. Looking to buy or build my dream too and you are the inspiration. Thank you!

BTW, the new rims look much better, brighten up the bike and make it look more relaxed and real. The black ones look too road for this beautiful one of a kind! The bar ends look great, but I would say straight black would look just as good. Keep doing what you are doing!

Thanks for for the kind words and sorry for the late reply. I've been really busy with work lately.

I went with the XT stuff because it's really durable and works great. There is very little weight difference between the XT and XTR and with this bike being steel weight wasn't my number one priority.

I changed the bar mostly for aestetics. The bar from the Sirrus had some red on it and didn't really match the color scheme I was after with this bike.

As as far as my logo (I'm assuming you're referring to my avatar) it the Salsa logo on the head tube of my bike. :-)
Old 04-07-16, 02:09 PM
wkrider

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Monstermash
So I had a few minutes today to take a few better photos...

Very nice.
Old 09-19-16, 11:55 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Oh man!!!!
I just picked up a 91 Schwinn Crosscut project bike $75

I was going to go 11-36 10 speed XT with Saint shifter. 44t wolftooth, Crank(??) I just love the Giant made lugged double butted true temper Cr-mo frames of the Crosscut/crosschecks.

But this Vaya flatbar thing has me wondering... threadless headsets and disc brakes? Hmm!

Skip all the money I was going to sink into stripping, Internal cable routing, and powdercoating .
Lots more wheel options these days for disc than rim brakes.

Yet half my goal is to show up on club rides with a nice brand new looking custom 1991 Schwinn and keep up or be faster.

I really probably shouldn't have seen this at 2 am on a sleepless night anyways. There goes my head!!!!!! I'll be back later I have to go catch my head.

edit: btw Aluminum hybrids, are not even in the Caad 12 class of aluminum these days. Actually hybrids (quick, badboy, quick speed, cadent, FX, escape, absolute, Grater, etc...) these days are more in the class of a cruiser with gears and real brakes. You get comfort or speed. I want both and I want big tires. Like a 700x38 Compass Barlow Pass. supple is king!

Last edited by Metieval; 09-20-16 at 12:01 AM.