Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Would you call this a "near death" stem?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-16, 03:52 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts

It's been a rainy couple of days so I decided be productive by organizing and cleaning up some of my parts stash. I love making a little shiny magic with Mother's, so out comes the dull and dingy. As I'm cleaning the grunge off of an AVA stem I'm a little stunned to see evidence of near failure:

Upon further inspection I discovered you could see a bulge on the obverse side of the stem. So, I'm calling this one a "near death stem."

At least the bars look shiny.

Rest assured, this one is going into the "Do Not Use" box.
Old 05-27-16, 04:07 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,382 Times in 1,583 Posts
well, if you have to find a crack or deformation in a stem, this is the way to do it!

Seems like an odd place for a failure to occur. Is there some sort of stress riser or discontinuity on the inside of the stem at that location that might explain the near-failure?

I'm assuming that this is a forged stem too... can't rule out the possibility that it is actually a cast stem, though.

Steve in Peoria
(sold my only AVA Death Stem a month or so ago, with full disclosure)
Old 05-27-16, 04:09 PM
CannedPakes
Bar Ends Forever

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Wow. Has anyone here actually had a stem fail on them mid-ride? What happened?
Old 05-27-16, 04:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
That's interesting -- now I'm curious to see what would happen if it were installed in a junk fork and had the bolt cranked down until failure.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-27-16, 05:11 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,382 Times in 1,583 Posts
for reference and some background, let me attach an article from the February 1971 issue of Bicycling! magazine. It was written by Chuck Harris (creator of wonderful helmet mirrors and general innovator), and discusses headset bearing maintenance. By chance, it also contains a drawing of an AVA hollow cast stem and the admonition to drill out the end of the expansion slots to reduce the chance of cracks forming. No mention of what nasty things happen when cracks form.

disclaimer: I didn't scan this article, so let me thank whoever did (whomever?). Also, the material is presumably copyrighted, so the material will be removed if requested.

Steve in Peoria
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
headset bearings 01.jpg (100.0 KB, 73 views)
headset bearings 02.jpg (99.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 05-27-16, 05:11 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by CannedPakes
They were never heard from again... Dun Dun Dun!
Old 05-27-16, 05:22 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by CannedPakes
As usual, Jobst Brandt had done there and lived to tell about it: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec....E/urr_qfS4EnQJ
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-27-16, 07:06 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
for reference and some background, let me attach an article from the February 1971 issue of Bicycling! magazine. It was written by Chuck Harris (creator of wonderful helmet mirrors and general innovator), and discusses headset bearing maintenance. By chance, it also contains a drawing of an AVA hollow cast stem and the admonition to drill out the end of the expansion slots to reduce the chance of cracks forming. No mention of what nasty things happen when cracks form.

disclaimer: I didn't scan this article, so let me thank whoever did (whomever?). Also, the material is presumably copyrighted, so the material will be removed if requested.

Steve in Peoria
Interesting, and pretty much time appropriate too. This stem came off of a Peugeot PR-10 purchased in the Netherlands in 1973.
Old 06-13-16, 12:07 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Got a nice package deal on some Rando bars with brake levers, stem with Suntour shifters for 25. Quite pleased as this brings parts to several project. Even came with good cables and the old school metal cable housing to boot.

Cleaning up everything I get to the stem, an SR AX-120mm forged one. Bit grimy so gave it a polish. This is what I found On the front lip where the bolt hole is showers a crack all the way around. I usually inspect before putting things back into service and this is the reason. One death stem avoided.
Attached Images
image.jpg (95.8 KB, 63 views)
image.jpg (93.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-13-16, 12:20 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I stopped using old stems, handle bars, cranks and seat posts for bikes that get ridden. Vintage aluminum is great to look at and polish but given so that so much riding on it (pun intended), I don't see a need to take that kind of chance for to save a couple of bucks.
Old 06-13-16, 12:54 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
All my bikes get ridden. What's the sense in having one if you aren't going to ride it.

There's no "need"to, but a desire to equip my vintage bikes with vintage parts. That is why the inspection is a must. I have put aside many stems and handle bars because of inspections.

i certainly don't use vintage parts to " save a few bucks "
Old 06-13-16, 01:15 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I wish it were to save a few bucks. Unfortunately, to keep things relatively period-correct (which doesn't always matter, of course), the difference between used and NOS can often be tens or hundreds.

Nice catches, AZORCH and 3speedslow, and glad you were able to find those failures the easy way...
Old 06-13-16, 02:03 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
I wish it were to save a few bucks. Unfortunately, to keep things relatively period-correct (which doesn't always matter, of course), the difference between used and NOS can often be tens or hundreds.
Yeah, I think that vintage bikes are sort of artworks that are rideable, and the reasons for running vintage parts are rarely "to save a couple of bucks". Most people wouldn't buy some 1935 car, and then stick a toyota engine in it because it is practical.

Even so, sometimes that hot rodding type approach makes sense. It's fine with me as long as the decision is made deliberately. These days I'm agreeing more with fender1. There's no way I'm going to run some old cast stem made out of melted down scrounged surplus WWII aluminum. I chose to go modern, but there were vintage stems that were fine, 3TT and Cinelli for example. 3TTT stems were often used to replace AVA stems on PX10s etc BITD. They were a little undersized and even the 22.2 would usually fit right in. So if you do want to do a vintage period correct build, that is possible too.
Old 06-13-16, 02:03 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
All my bikes get ridden. What's the sense in having one if you aren't going to ride it.

There's no "need"to, but a desire to equip my vintage bikes with vintage parts. That is why the inspection is a must. I have put aside many stems and handle bars because of inspections.

i certainly don't use vintage parts to " save a few bucks "
Originally Posted by noobinsf

Nice catches, AZORCH and 3speedslow, and glad you were able to find those failures the easy way...
All true. I am not that concerned on the period correct/vintage parts aspect of things.