Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Beginner Clipless Pedals

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 07:57 PM
seattle_newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all, quick question. I am a beginner, mainly touring for fitness. I have a '87 specialized sirrus and love it. The only issue is that I am sporting basic platform pedals with toe clips and straps and really don't care for it much. It is so cumbersome getting into and out of them, and I am embarassed to say I have found myself on the ground in front of a crowd on two separate occasions.
My question is, what clipless pedal system is the best value. I am not looking to break the bank nor am I a competitive racer. I am looking to spend $100 +/- 25 (keeping in mind I still have to buy shoes).

Thanks!
Old 05-17-10, 08:00 PM
Brightwork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look around for sales - online or LBS, get what's on sale. Just make sure the shoes will fit with the pedals you choose.
Old 05-17-10, 08:04 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
https://mikesbikes.com/product/shiman...6490-qc129.htm

You can probably find them cheaper than $60. Wellgo also makes some dual sided clipless, for less but I think the Shimanos's work a bit better and are a little nicer.

What you want are dual sided SPD and keep the tension loose. Stick with mtb shoes since you can walk in them much easier than road shoes.

BTW, if these are "beginner" pedals then I must still be learning after using them for almost six years.

Also, I used to fall all the time with clips and straps, but the only time I've fallen with clipless was the result of failed trackstands on my fixed gear.
Old 05-17-10, 08:06 PM
SkinnyLegs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look Keo Easy and Shimano R540 are both available around $40 or so from the various online UK dealers. Either will work just fine for you. There's nothing "entry level" or "beginner" about pedals that cost more than $100.
Old 05-17-10, 08:24 PM
JacoKierkegaard
Fixed-gear roadie

Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a great deal on my 105s, with shoes the whole setup came in around $150. They're my first clipless pedals, I'm really happy with them.
Old 05-17-10, 08:38 PM
Germanicus
Delusional Laserbrain

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tricross, 1993 Giant Iguana rebuild w/ singlespeed drive train

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love eggbeater pedals. They are simple to get in and out of and look cool.

This is the Candy 3 (which used to be called the Candy SL) but there are other models too. And each model is offered at several price/ quality levels.
Candy 1 is $60
Candy 2 is $90
Candy 3 is $120
Candy 11 is $375
Old 05-17-10, 08:48 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My first pedals were Crank Brothers Quattro. They were easy to get in and out of. Next ones were look style pedals. They're even easier.

I wouldn't worry about getting anything that is specifically made to have low tension. You'll get used to pedals in no time.
Old 05-17-10, 09:50 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I would think about what kind of cycling you want to do long term, get the appropriate style of pedals and shoes, and get used to them. If you start on one type and then switch later on you'll just have to go through the learning process twice.

The main road systems are Look and Shimano SPD-SL. They are similar in design but not compatible. They both give you a very stable platform and efficient power transfer but the cleats protrude from the shoes and make them hard to walk in. Nobody else make the shimano style but there are several cheaper Look knockoffs like Exustar and Nashbar.

Shimano SPD is the most popular mountain/touring/spin class/etc. type pedal. They are nice because the small cleats can be completely recessed into the shoe for easy walking and many pedals are 2 sided so you can always step in without having to flip the pedal. Downsides are that the small cleats can be tricky to lock in and depending on pedal and shoe design not give as much stability or support as road pedals. SPD pedals are made by Shimano and just about everyone else so there are about a billion different designs.

Time, Crank Bros, and Speedplay all make pedals with proprietary cleat systems, but I have never tried them so I will let others point out their pros and cons.

From what you describe of your current riding, the Shimano A520 sounds like the best fit.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-10, 10:54 PM
seattle_newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone, this really helps!!
Old 05-18-10, 05:54 AM
BartJ

Bikes: 08 Gaint TCR Advanced, 87 Specialized Sirrus, 07 G Fisher HiFi, 05 G Fisher Tass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seattle_newbie
Hey all, quick question. I am a beginner, mainly touring for fitness. I have a '87 specialized sirrus and love it. The only issue is that I am sporting basic platform pedals with toe clips and straps and really don't care for it much. It is so cumbersome getting into and out of them, and I am embarassed to say I have found myself on the ground in front of a crowd on two separate occasions.
My question is, what clipless pedal system is the best value. I am not looking to break the bank nor am I a competitive racer. I am looking to spend $100 +/- 25 (keeping in mind I still have to buy shoes).

Thanks!
I still have my 87 Sirrus too! Love that bike. Get out there and ride it as much as you can.
Old 05-18-10, 06:05 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...8#ReviewHeader

Cheap and easy. Call me crazy, but I think the LOOK-type pedals are easier to clip in to than the SPD-SLs.
Old 05-18-10, 06:12 AM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Shimano R540s as my first set of clipless pedals and I am very happy with them so far.
Old 05-18-10, 06:34 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
forget the concept of beginner clipless pedals. think about the type of system you want long term and buy it now. then you dont have to buy twice when you think you're ready for the next level.

the biggest decision for you is mountain style or road style, which will dictate what shoes you buy and whether or not you'll be able to walk in the shoes.
Old 05-18-10, 01:14 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
The main road systems are Look and Shimano SPD-SL.
I always thought the main road system was Speedplay. Ask several different people, you always seem to get several different answers I suppose!

I agree that Shimano SPD's seem to be a good beginner pedal as well. I'd definitely prefer the "mountain" style pedal as you can walk around in them normally. They're very popular, and they let you adjust the release tension.

I'm not a big fan of the Crankbrothers, whether Eggbeaters or anything else. They're ok, but they have a reputation for being unreliable (though they just came out with new versions that are supposed to be more reliable). I found personally that they leaked grease all over the spindle...seemed to be a regular thing with the pedals, not a manufacturing defect, and it's something that didn't really happen with my other pedals.

I like my Time (ATAC) Control Z's. All the "ATAC"'s are compatible with each other. No weird oil leaking out of them (yet at least), they seem sturdy, good float...like them.

When people ask me which pedals to get, I recommend either the Shimano SPD's or one of the Time ATAC's.
Old 05-18-10, 10:09 PM
joeya28
There's no "I" in "win"

Bikes: 2008 CAAD9 R6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinnyLegs
Look Keo Easy and Shimano R540 are both available around $40 or so from the various online UK dealers. Either will work just fine for you. There's nothing "entry level" or "beginner" about pedals that cost more than $100.
i wouldn't suggest the Look Keo Easy, i have them and i personally feel like they were a mistake. granted they were good to get me used to clipless but it already time to change them, their not adjustable. its become a problem because now that im used to clipless i want something that holds me in tighter.
Old 05-28-10, 10:02 PM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCjolsen
https://mikesbikes.com/product/shiman...6490-qc129.htm

You can probably find them cheaper than $60. Wellgo also makes some dual sided clipless, for less but I think the Shimanos's work a bit better and are a little nicer.

What you want are dual sided SPD and keep the tension loose. Stick with mtb shoes since you can walk in them much easier than road shoes.

BTW, if these are "beginner" pedals then I must still be learning after using them for almost six years.

Also, I used to fall all the time with clips and straps, but the only time I've fallen with clipless was the result of failed trackstands on my fixed gear.
+1

The Shimano m520s were my first clipless pedals, and I've since put thousands of miles on them. I have friends who also like the eggbeater pedals.

Personal preference, I would stick with mountain style pedals (like the m520) over road style (like LOOK pedals), because the cleats are easier to walk in.