Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

My pumphead keeps leaking. Anybody have a favorite?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-23, 12:45 PM
Raleigh71

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I used to use the Silca push-on but got tired of having to replace the rubber part frequently at like $8-10 a pop, and it was too hard to push on and get off. Then I went with a lever-type that originally came with some long-gone pump I had that leaks using the Presta side of it at the higher pressures. Anybody have a favorite pump head they're satisfied with?
Old 10-29-23, 12:53 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
The Silca Hiro is very nice. I do have to replace the grommet about once a year.

if you get the genuine Silca polymer grommet it may last longer. And of course you can tighten the ring for a better "bite" if it starts hissing.

/markp

Old 10-29-23, 01:29 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
the original that Silca tried to copy but failed.
Amazon.com: KUWAHARA HIRAME Pump Head Yoko with Hose Band : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

I have both and the Kuwahara is the one I use all the time.
Old 10-29-23, 01:41 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I am not good with my pump heads. I get them gunked up, cracked with heat, stepped on, bent, over all abused. So now I have gone to cheap disposable pump heads. I use them till they start having problems then just replace them. My pump gets allot of use by me and the neighborhood.

Amazon 7 USD
Old 10-29-23, 01:50 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I love this beastie.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Joe-...htm?sku=404305

I lnow it’s the full thing, not what you asked for, but it has taken quite a beating and still like new.
Old 10-29-23, 03:30 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I also have both and they are more or less equivalent in function. the Kuwahara grommet is hard (er) to find. you can get it out of Japan.

/markp

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 10-29-23, 03:35 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
The Silca Hiro is much more versatile. No hose clamp needed. It works perfectly for me. It’s hardly a “failure.”

Last edited by smd4; 10-29-23 at 03:42 PM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 10-29-23, 05:48 PM
Raleigh71

Originally Posted by smd4
The Silca Hiro is much more versatile. No hose clamp needed. It works perfectly for me. It’s hardly a “failure.”

Thanks for all the great information, gents! The silca sounds like a quality item, and I like the fact that you can get the rubber inserts in the USA without getting them from Japan. I'd have to get used to the fact that it costs more than alot of the bikes I've had in my life. The two-per-package el-cheapo disposable pumpheads noted above are probably the most sensible. I'll mull it over.

Last edited by Raleigh71; 10-29-23 at 05:52 PM.
Likes For Raleigh71:
Old 10-29-23, 06:03 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Raleigh71
Thanks for all the great information, gents! The silca sounds like a quality item, and I like the fact that you can get the rubber inserts in the USA without getting them from Japan. I'd have to get used to the fact that it costs more than alot of the bikes I've had in my life. The two-per-package el-cheapo disposable pumpheads noted above are probably the most sensible. I'll mull it over.
Unfortunately, like everything else, they have gone up in price.
Old 10-30-23, 10:36 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
.....FWIW, I've had good luck with this: Topeak Twinhead Bicycle Floor Pump Upgrade Kit. You can buy the head gasket rebuild kit for about ten bucks
Old 10-30-23, 10:58 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Raleigh71
I used to use the Silca push-on but got tired of having to replace the rubber part frequently at like $8-10 a pop, and it was too hard to push on and get off. Then I went with a lever-type that originally came with some long-gone pump I had that leaks using the Presta side of it at the higher pressures. Anybody have a favorite pump head they're satisfied with?
Frankly, I hate the dual sided lever type pump heads. They can be very finicky. The Silca presta chuck is superior but, yes, it does wear out. You can find a replacement grommet for much less like these. They are also a bit less stiff.

An alternative to the Silca chuck is the SKS pump adapter. I’ve used it extensively at my local co-op and it’s amazing how robust it is for something so cheap. That’s as long as someone doesn’t take it apart and lose the parts because they don’t understand how to use it
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 10-30-23 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-01-23, 01:11 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
This:

https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...s1p-chuck-v111

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 11-01-23, 01:16 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by top506
It threads on? What a PITA.
Old 11-01-23, 03:43 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

It threads on? What a PITA.
Yup. I thread on a Silca chuck which works quite well. But I wouldn’t thread it onto the valve.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-02-23, 08:21 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yup. I thread on a Silca chuck which works quite well. But I wouldn’t thread it onto the valve.
My Hiro threads onto the hose. Which is why it’s so practical. But no, it doesn’t thread onto the valve.
Old 11-02-23, 01:19 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Another vote for Lezyne thread-on. The most secure and confident connection I've encountered. Sure it pulls out the occasional valve core but I always tighten my valve cores down before using.

There are high quality slip-on chucks but their design seems to wear out quicker (especially when used with threaded valve stems) and may be more prone to bending out a valve pin. They are quicker to use, but I like to take my time to ensure a good contact when airing up anyways - so no issue for me.
Old 11-02-23, 02:59 PM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
.....FWIW, I've had good luck with this: Topeak Twinhead Bicycle Floor Pump Upgrade Kit. You can buy the head gasket rebuild kit for about ten bucks
same here!
Old 11-02-23, 07:55 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Another vote for Lezyne thread-on. The most secure and confident connection I've encountered. Sure it pulls out the occasional valve core but I always tighten my valve cores down before using.
So you’ve never used a Hiro? The Lezyne’s only drawback is that it pulls the valve cores?? Seriously?
Old 11-02-23, 10:54 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
So you’ve never used a Hiro? The Lezyne’s only drawback is that it pulls the valve cores?? Seriously?
I've used ones similar to the Hiro on occasion and recall then being fine. The lever action felt positive from what I recall, which was nice. If I recall the lever can sometimes hit the spokes but that's no big deal.

Yes I think the major flaw with the Lezyne is it can pull out a core which is super annoying. But since I'm used to it I know how to avoid it. I like that it threads on and doesn't really put pressure on the valve stem like some of the other bulky chucks do (not talking about the Hiro, but in general).
Old 11-04-23, 03:22 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Well, you asked for favorites. Here's mine.

https://www.mcmaster.com/3536N2

It's just a basic threaded Schrader chuck, with optional Presta adapter. Works fine.

Old 11-05-23, 09:41 AM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
For $3, this Park head isn't a bad deal. Park isn't the sexiest brand out there, but they work and usually have replaceable parts for their products.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Park-Tool-...mp-Rebuild-Kit
Old 11-05-23, 10:05 AM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
I didn't expect to like the Lezyne ABS-1 Pro HP, but it really surprised me.
Old 11-05-23, 10:53 AM
cyccommute 

There are high quality slip-on chucks but their design seems to wear out quicker (especially when used with threaded valve stems) and may be more prone to bending out a valve pin. They are quicker to use, but I like to take my time to ensure a good contact when airing up anyways - so no issue for me.
The point of the Presta valve is that it is a check valve and doesn’t need a secure connection to put air into the tire. Schrader valves do because the pin in the valve has to be depressed to let air in but Prestas don’t.

Old 11-05-23, 11:05 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by MudPie
For $3, this Park head isn't a bad deal. Park isn't the sexiest brand out there, but they work and usually have replaceable parts for their products.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Park-Tool-...mp-Rebuild-Kit
I’ve had a couple of Park Tool pumps and was very disappointed in that head. I don’t know if it gets junk in it or what but that head tends to fail to close the low pressure side and are kind of a pain to use. The rest of the pump isn’t anything to write home about either. Both of the ones I had had head sealing problems and had pressure gauges that failed.

The Topeak Joe Blow is a better pump with a head that works better.

I currently have a Lezyne CNC Floor Drive which, with the exception of the silly screw on chuck is a very good pump. Don’t make the mistake of getting the Steel Floor Drive. The one I had used a plastic check valve in the pump which melted. A Lezyne representative told me that it was designed for any more than light use and suggested the CNC Floor Drive which has much more robust parts. Wish I’d known that before hand.

Old 11-06-23, 07:29 PM
Raleigh71

I appreciate all the great discussion gents! It seems like some pump heads work for some folks and not for others.

I've decided to go el-cheapo or that Topeak upgrade kit and see how it works out. (See images)

I'm inclined to avoid anything Silca, given the bad experience I had with their high end pump years ago described here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...orth-crap.html

And after recently pulling the valve stem off the tube, I'm done with the push-on Silca head. And BTW, those inexpensive Silca grommets ain't no $3. Add in the shipping and they're $10 for a 3 cent part.

We'll see how it goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.