Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trek with no serial number? Possible 950

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Trek with no serial number? Possible 950

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-24, 04:01 PM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Your bike, your rules!

Normally, I’d be a bit hesitant to see a rare custom color go bye bye (assuming this one is original, which it could be), but due to the mishap with the dt bosses, there is a lot more grace here.

Ideally, you could find an Imron match, but that is a perfect world, would probably be nigh impossible, and you don’t favor the color anyway.

Have at it!

That's part of why I want to keep the purple as an homage to the custom paint. I otherwise like the stock 757/957/959 colorways much more.

I thought I would like the metallic grey more, but the white and purple looks good in the mock-up...
Old 02-14-24, 04:35 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Originally Posted by jPrichard10
Rough draft build with 1st Gen Dura Ace. Levers still need to be transferred over (there are Shimano 600 6207). My Dura Ace brakes are nutted so I need to get those plugs (or drill out my own recessed nuts).

The shifters I have for this group are the Shimano bar end shifters. Doesn't really fit the vibe of those bike, but I don't have downtube bosses anyway, so 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Almost ready to see how it rides!

Check out your hardware store for bronze bearing items in the small parts aisle. They are the perfect size for filling up the extra space in the brake bridge. HTH, Smiles, MH
Old 02-14-24, 08:56 PM
NVFlinch 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jPrichard10
I will. I may even take a little paint off to find a light serial number, but I truly see no signs of one
Below the "K" and above to the right of the rust spot, looks like an upside down '6' ? Oh, and I think I see an image of Elvis...
Likes For NVFlinch:
Old 02-16-24, 10:13 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
The metallic gray is in keeping with other Trek models/years of that era.
Old 02-25-24, 09:24 PM
jPrichard10 

Derailleur disappointment again. I got this Superbe RD with no mounting bolt for the Trek because I knew I had a long Suntour mounting bolt tucked away somewhere. Well, extra long wasn't long enough I guess. Or would you feel safe mounting this with so few threads exposed?
Old 02-26-24, 08:31 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
^^^^^^ What happens when you mount it? Do you see a fair amount of the thickness of the dropout threads NOT engaged?

Just a WAG, but since you married the bolt to the mech, could you be doubled up on the outside washer (if any)? That is, could there have been a washer stuck in the mech body when you received it, along with one on the bolt you had in storage?
Old 03-19-24, 09:56 AM
jPrichard10 

Took this on a shake down ride yesterday with no bar tape. Wrapped the bars today and came in to work:

I'm hoping the purple bar tape looks less wrong after a partial paint job. I have a white saddle ready to get dirty that's going to go on here.

In a rush to meet a buddy for a ride last night, I swapped some wheels and tires to get it on the road and accidentally put a 9 speed cassette on with an 8 speed chain. Drove the bike to meet my friend and got out and realized my mistake. The gear you see it in was the highest gear it can ride without the chain skating around everywhere. So while we had a quite spirited ride on the Portland waterfront (Sellwood to Steel loop for those in the know) I never really got to pop it in "high gear" and see how it compares to my 910. I really really love the Suntour Superbe group, probably my top choice now.