Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How fer did you ride today?!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How fer did you ride today?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 09:50 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,645 Times in 2,923 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
For sure about the various factors in FTP testing. My results weren't wholly unexpected and I felt the test was necessary to reevaluate my power zones.

About the ride, here she is:
Stunning and beautifully equipped. Love the color and choice of wheels. Well done

Old 04-06-24, 11:56 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
The plan is to do a 2-ride day...26 degrees this morning, made me not want to ride outdoors. So I did a short. indoor session on the new bike(was going to do the old bike, but the shifter broke again,) and will hopefully get an outdoor ride in this afternoon.

I mostly kept it in zone 2 and did some minimal adjusting of the shift indexing, via an app. The chain was noisy/jumpy at first, but that ended up being just excess chain wax. After about 10 minutes, it became buttery smooth and quiet.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-06-24, 12:06 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Originally Posted by rsbob
Stunning and beautifully equipped. Love the color and choice of wheels. Well done
Thanks, I really liked this color scheme. The only other color in this particular build level was all black...I don't mind black bikes, but I do prefer a little bit of color. The lower-spec bikes had much flashier 2 tone paint schemes, that I wasn't a major fan of. Last year's version of this particular model was purple...I'm so glad that they changed to blue this year, there was no way I was going to ride a purple bike.

I was looking at other brands too, but the weight specs, component level, wheels, price, and previous brand experience, all led me back to Canyon. It's electronic Ultegra 2x12...I've already put the climbing gears on it(50/34, 11-34,) as that's pretty much a prerequisite for the local roads. I was looking at aero bikes too, but figured all the climbing I do justified a climbing bike...although this one does have some aero considerations in its design. The handlebar is 3 piece and has width adjustment...also no need to cut the steerer to change the stem height, so I wasn't too scared of the integrated cockpit. The final draw was the wheels. I'm not afraid of hookless, but having hooked tubeless wheels, was definitely a selling point to me.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-06-24, 02:54 PM
bharrisonb
FreedomRider

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh Sports, 2008 Specialized Sequoia, 2016 Trek Verve 2, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad ebike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 53 Posts
This morning ... a nice 25 miles , under 40 degF on the 1971 Raleigh Sports ... (all three speeds where used)

Coffee on a bench at Singing Beach, Manchester-By-The-Sea, Mass.
Likes For bharrisonb:
Old 04-06-24, 04:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

30 Lazy miles (post FTP yesterday) in the farm country. Saw a good sized herd of elk. A mere 500’ gain, but was not in the mood for a hard effort.

Elk herd

Super friendly

Also friendly

White cows

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-06-24, 06:55 PM
Sierra_rider

Took the new bike out for it's maiden voyage this afternoon, a total of 26 miles, 3300' of climbing, and an average temp of 46F. I'm really impressed with it, very stiff(in a good way) and responsive. That and the light weight, it's a dream to climb hills with.

IDK if my disappointing FTP was a fluke yesterday, or not...I hate to brag, but I'm pumped on how I felt today. I ended up setting a few PR's and Strava top 10's on one particular road. I wasn't even aiming to set any PR's, but I looked down at my live segment 1/2 up the first climb and realized that I was on target for my previous record. So I kept pushing and then decided to see how many climbs I could push a PR pace on. The standout segment was 1 mile @ about 12%, that I held over 380 watts on for 8:40(7th OA.) I then was able to get a 1 minute recovery and get a 4 O/A on the next 1/2 mile climb. Even after all that, I was able to ride mostly tempo and threshold for the remaining miles of climbing back home.

Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-07-24, 09:46 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I knew it! Your FTP test was an anomaly and you hadn’t lost it. Way to power up those climbs and get those PRs.

Read some good news in my fave news-rag today about the relationship between high intensity training and keeping the brain in good shape for memory and cognition. Even though the brain may shrink with age, HIIT helps create new blood vessels in the brain helping decrease the effects of aging. It did not specify how many workouts per week though. I would think two would be more than sufficient in my non-medical background - along with maintenance of Z2 to keep the positive hormones flowing (less depression/better mood overall).

Last edited by rsbob; 04-07-24 at 09:52 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-07-24, 11:49 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Went to my local trail with my oldest mountain bike, my 1991 Merida Al Bon fitted with hutchinson toro 26*1.85 tubeless tires , it was really challenging because with no so large tires , the risk of sliding is present when attacking some rough terrains. I slipped and fell gently on the grass due to a tree root and the fact that my tire wasn't wide enough.Otherwise the bike depiste its non slopping geometry and rigid fork, rolls fast and corners very well. Important also is that on this trail if you have a too wide mtb bar it can pose you problems. The XT 780T groupset does a formidable job and is a truely reliable groupset. Once my Hutchinson Toro tires are worn out, I will go with Conti Mountainking in 26*2.3
Likes For georges1:
Old 04-07-24, 05:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

“Cross Training” Day

Had relatives over so got in a 2.5 mile dog walk with 385’ gain in a 10th of a mile and rode with son and 5 YO grandson for 2 miles until the little guy started getting tired. The grandson won all the sprints. The preem was a chocolate chip cookie. He was happy. The kid can really go.

First pic from walk.

Old 04-07-24, 06:24 PM
Sierra_rider

A bit longer ride today...I drove down the hill from my house to start the ride, as it was still in the 30s by mid morning. About 3k' down the hill, it was in the 50s. Fun times other than a headwind in the closing miles of the ride. I felt good on this one and I'm not as concerned about my form ahead of a 70 mile XC race, as I was before this ride. The other noteworthy event on this ride, is I PR'd my 1 minute power (800 watts.) Also the on-bike recovery between efforts, was really on point today.

Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-07-24, 06:43 PM
Sierra_rider

I knew it! Your FTP test was an anomaly and you hadn’t lost it. Way to power up those climbs and get those PRs.

Read some good news in my fave news-rag today about the relationship between high intensity training and keeping the brain in good shape for memory and cognition. Even though the brain may shrink with age, HIIT helps create new blood vessels in the brain helping decrease the effects of aging. It did not specify how many workouts per week though. I would think two would be more than sufficient in my non-medical background - along with maintenance of Z2 to keep the positive hormones flowing (less depression/better mood overall).
That doesn't surprise me...as it seems, to a highly uneducated person such as myself, like an adaptation to keep the brain oxygenated during hard efforts. Although I'm talking out my rear on that one.

As a rider that is blessed with strong anaerobic capacity, but only a so-so aerobic engine, the zone 2 has been a game changer for my fitness. Between that and actually paying attention to nutrition, my ability to do longer rides and recover well, is the best it's ever been.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-07-24, 08:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

That doesn't surprise me...as it seems, to a highly uneducated person such as myself, like an adaptation to keep the brain oxygenated during hard efforts. Although I'm talking out my rear on that one.

As a rider that is blessed with strong anaerobic capacity, but only a so-so aerobic engine, the zone 2 has been a game changer for my fitness. Between that and actually paying attention to nutrition, my ability to do longer rides and recover well, is the best it's ever been.

Let’s see. 2 KOMs, 2 4th places, over 7,000’ climbed , and a “massive effort” but an average speed of only a mere 14 MPH with all those puny climbs? So very sad. Back to work!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-07-24, 11:27 PM
Sierra_rider

Let’s see. 2 KOMs, 2 4th places, over 7,000’ climbed , and a “massive effort” but an average speed of only a mere 14 MPH with all those puny climbs? So very sad. Back to work!
Lol, that's the reward of winter full of zone 2.
Old 04-08-24, 01:59 PM
Sierra_rider

Indoor zone 2 recovery ride this morning, 26 miles and 1100' of virtual climbing. 21 of those miles were Rouvy cobbles in virtual France.
Old 04-08-24, 05:19 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
For sure about the various factors in FTP testing. My results weren't wholly unexpected and I felt the test was necessary to reevaluate my power zones.

About the ride, here she is:
Love the color...

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-08-24, 05:27 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

No riding over the weekend, too much work and family obligations. Today got in a Rouvy ride, 29 miles, 2800 ft., had very good legs for the climbing today, probably due to taking the 2 days off.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-08-24, 08:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

30 something Zone 2 for an hour and a half. Watched The Regime to keep from going insane - Ooops - too late. Did ‘lose it’ at the end and went for a PR on a sprint. My bad

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-08-24, 11:48 PM
Sierra_rider

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Love the color...
Thanks, the option was that or black...I used to be all about black bikes, but I've learned to embrace color. My road bike of the past 5 years or so was my first "colorful" bike...kind of a bright metallic red/sunburst orange color. That was a big step for a boring person like me...I still appreciate black bikes, but every bike since then has had a non-black frame.

30 something Zone 2 for an hour and a half. Watched The Regime to keep from going insane - Ooops - too late. Did ‘lose it’ at the end and went for a PR on a sprint. My bad
I think it's alright if you save it til the end lol...or maybe it doesn't matter. I think that's the big debate in the zone 2 world right now. Not if it's optimum or not, but rather if an above zone 2 effort screws up any of the zone 2 work immediately following it.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-09-24, 03:19 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
102 miles OD. Legs are already complaining.
Old 04-09-24, 05:37 PM
Sierra_rider

Did a zone 2 ride at 255 watts up the virtual Tourmalet on Rouvy. 11.5 miles and 4550' of fake climbing, in a little less than 1.5 hours.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-09-24, 06:11 PM
jaxgtr

I suffered on my ride on Rouvy today, I did not eat or hydrate well today, I was in the code zone at work, and I should have picked a flatter route. 25.3 miles, 2200 ft ascent.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-09-24, 10:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Troul
102 miles OD. Legs are already complaining.
Banging out those centuries already! Nice

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-09-24, 10:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
it's been a rough few months, just trying to get it in where/when i can.
Old 04-09-24, 10:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

1 hour Z1 one and finished watching The Regime - very disappointing ending.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-10-24, 04:21 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 134 Posts
Finally, a ride outside!!! Left work early and did 20 gravel miles. Wasn't too bad, but had to ice my knees.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.