Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SRAM Rival 1x shifting question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-20, 07:30 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

I have a 1x11 SRAM Rival setup on my gravel rig. Lately my shifting has been a little wonky--I started getting sluggish shifting when downshifting into the lowest 3-4 gears. So, today I experimented with adjusting the barrel adjuster and could definitely make noticeable changes to the smoothness of the shifting in either direction. So, I've got it now where it's shifting pretty well downshifting all around, and upshifting in the smallest rings from around halfway on the cassette, but when upshifting on the other/bigger half of the cassette--the bigger cogs, it's still sluggish and even hangs up/won't shift once in a while. Derailleur hanger alignment looks good all around. I'm a hack, so before I start messing with things too much, any advice on what to try?

Last edited by pbass; 11-15-20 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-15-20, 07:47 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
How old is your cable/housing? If the answer is a year or more, it's likely time to replace. Also can't hurt to lube the pivot points on the RD (Bike Aid Dri-Slide is perfect for this.)
Old 11-15-20, 07:50 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Check b tension for sure if it's SRAM, they're sensitive to that. As the Dr posted it might be time to replace cable/housing. Undo the cable at the derailleur and shift it while holding the cable in your fingers.
Old 11-15-20, 08:06 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Thanks guys. So, I'm looking for videos about the B tension screw and will continue to research. Not to be lazy, but, what do I do with that thing?

EDIT: FYI cable housing is only a few months old. My LBS installed my new cassette then and also did new cable, etc.

Last edited by pbass; 11-15-20 at 08:12 PM.